Any weightlifters here?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Vitnir

Any weightlifters here?

Post by Vitnir » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:46 am

Ok, I got a question about bodybuilding if anyone can help.
My mother is thinking about a breast reduction surgery because of the pain in shoulders and neck. I blurted out that she could try bodybuilding instead but I don't know very much about it. I was mainly thinking that some extra muscle mass would help rather than she would dramatically reduce the body fat. Anyone?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Any weightlifters here?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:07 pm

Vitnir wrote:Ok, I got a question about bodybuilding if anyone can help.
My mother is thinking about a breast reduction surgery because of the pain in shoulders and neck. I blurted out that she could try bodybuilding instead but I don't know very much about it. I was mainly thinking that some extra muscle mass would help rather than she would dramatically reduce the body fat. Anyone?

I was a weightlifter and bodybuilder in high school. Out of shape (i.e. fat) now.

Don't know much about female bodybuilding, but it seems to me that weightlifting is better than surgery if those are the choices.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Loon

Post by Loon » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:50 am

I shall add my own (utterly non-medical and barely even pre-medical) bias:

There is almost never a situation where exercise is bad. It may not help with the physical stresses of a large bust, but it will help with damn near everything else. And she'll feel better, too (no matter how good she feels now).

Exercise rocks. Weightlifting rocks.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

Saxlover

Re: Any weightlifters here?

Post by Saxlover » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:32 pm

Vitnir wrote:Ok, I got a question about bodybuilding if anyone can help.

I know another site member, who knows of a site that might help you with information. I pm'd her and as soon as she replies I'll post you the link.

Zombified

Post by Zombified » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:54 am

I'm not sure about addressing her particular issue (I'm not a doctor either) but I agree exercise and strength training/weightlifting are good things in general. It certainly seems reasonable that strengthening muscles in the upper body (all of them - shoulders, back, chest, etc) would help her.

Now, I also know a woman who had breast reduction surgery and was quite satisfied with the outcome, so although surgery may seem like an extreme option, it may turn out to be a good choice. Especially if there's more to it than just shoulder pain.

Of course, they aren't mutually exclusive. You can get her to the gym whether she has her surgery or not...

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Anecdotal evidence:

I work with a well endowed woman, who used to be a female bodybuilder. She still works out regularly, and has excellent posture, and no complaints of pain or anything.

I also lift weights, and have no physical pains to speak of, while many others I know of (who don't work out) complain endlessly about back/knee/shoulder/etc. aches and pains.

I'd suggest your mom take it up, if she's interested in it. If she's not interested, it'll just be a boring and frustrating experience for her.
Nineteen tequilas later, we had a deal.
You are my density. (G. McFly)
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)
Rugby players eat their dead.

Andonyx

Post by Andonyx » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:11 pm

Just make sure the weightlifting program is approved by the doctor, if she is already experiencing pain there may be certain excersizes to avoid that might exacerbate the situation.

And also make sure there is a good period of stretching and relaxation before and after. Some recent studies have suggested that stretching may do absolutely nothing to reduce the risk of injury form excersize. Regardless of that thought it will help with the key thing, muscle tension. Right now it could be that her muscles are overworked, or even damaged from excessive off balance load. If so weight lifting could make it worse temporarily as weightlifting often makes muscles tight and clenchy for sometime after the workout. Make sure that lots of stretching and flexibility excersizes are a regular part of the routine.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:24 pm

Physical therapy and coaching may be covered by insurance--because they may be cheaper and less risky than surgery.

Getting fully informed is probably a good idea. There may be other options--specialized support garments which increase comfort, for instance.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:18 am

My mother is 55, her condition isn't medical in the sense that the doctors doesn't think she has to get the surgery and thus if she wants it anyway she has to pay for it herself. Now I don't know of the risks of surgery but it sounds unwise to get surgery unless you have to so I'l see if I can get her to work out instead. I looked in a encylopedia and it seemed that doing push-ups would work for chest musculatory, for the back muscles it seems to me that you need some kind of weights or other kind of arrangement.

Andonyx

Post by Andonyx » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:35 pm

Vitnir wrote:My mother is 55, her condition isn't medical in the sense that the doctors doesn't think she has to get the surgery and thus if she wants it anyway she has to pay for it herself. Now I don't know of the risks of surgery but it sounds unwise to get surgery unless you have to so I'l see if I can get her to work out instead. I looked in a encylopedia and it seemed that doing push-ups would work for chest musculatory, for the back muscles it seems to me that you need some kind of weights or other kind of arrangement.

For the back you can also do a kind of reverse sit-up. If you have a proper weight bench with ankle bars, you place the lower body stomach down on the bench, with your torso handing off the end of the bench and then place the hands behind the head and from a bent over position with head towards the floor lif the torso up to horizontal.

That's a bit advanced, I wouldn't necessarily begin with that. I know this sounds weird but to simply start I would do some pelvic tilts. Just lie down on a mat with knees bent, feet flat on the floor, and hands by your sides. Then tilt the pelvis back towards you. The goal is to get the lower spine, the part that curves inward towards the belly-button to lie flat on the floor. Doing this starts to strngthen the abdomen and back and helps alleviates some problems with bad posture.

Then move onto crunches. Tightening and strengthening the abdomen is easily one of the best things you can do for posture and back problems and it helps hold the spine straighter. It will also give some strength benefits to the lower back. If it's painful to do this, try placing the hands underneath the buttocks and doing leg lifts or bicycles, this holds the pelvis up and isolates the sotmach and leg muscles.