Astrology proven to determine health?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
uneasy

Astrology proven to determine health?

Post by uneasy » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:22 am

Leos get less cancer? Well, some might claim so using this study.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=5972163
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The time of year in which a person is born may somehow sway the risk of developing brain cancer in adulthood, new research suggests.

If confirmed by further studies, the findings would indicate that some as yet unknown factors before or soon after birth contribute to brain cancer development decades later, according to the authors.

Their study of brain cancer patients and cancer-free adults the same age found that the risk of developing the disease appeared highest for people born in January or February and lowest for those born in July or August.
It seems like a valid test, but is this one of those studies that finds, for example, something like people who own cats prefer Ragu spaghetti sauce? A correlation that can be gleaned from data, but meaningless? Or is it just bad to be born when it's cold?

I'm a little curious to see the same study done in the southern hemisphere.

Cecil

Post by Cecil » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:27 am

I think this is most likely a case of the sharpshooter's fallacy - fire a shotgun at the side of a barn and draw a target around the densest concentration of bullets. Any event, if distributed randomly across the population, will occur with higher than average frequency in some astrological signs and lower than average in others. It's simply a matter of chance.

Now if they had predicted these results in advance, then we'd have something.
I just bought real estate in your mind.

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:32 pm

If the season when they were born has an effect it seems more likely to be because they had more sunlight or some other environmental factor linked to the summer during the first months rather than gravtiational waves from mars.

uneasy

Post by uneasy » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:01 pm

In case anyone believes I am seriously saying astrology has to do with this news item, I am not.

The subject was merely a "tease" to get people to read a thread in a forum where the most activity seems to be around people saying "No I didn't. Yes you did. No I didn't" to each other for pages on end.

And to point out how an astrologer might possibly cite this news item to make a "scientific" point by leaving out some facts.

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:32 am

Well you never know about who is serious :wink:
When you do exploratory epidemiology you can get strange connections, like hot dogs are connected with childrens cancer. Or that reduction in birth rates coincides with the reduction of storks. Asthma and allergy though is connected with winter born, it is thought that homes are more damp at winter times which is a risk factor. Why dampness is a risk factor is unknown though.