Hair analysis

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Eos of the Eons

Hair analysis

Post by Eos of the Eons » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:32 pm

I'm following Sue's lab thread with great interest. In the mean time, I have a question pertaining to the little bit I did bother to look at on the pertinent site.

On this site linked below, they claim hair analysis can show heavy metals present. They then claim not having much heavy metal is proof that autism is caused by mercury if a little mercury is found in the hair. It means the autistic person's body can't excrete it properly, blah blah.

http://www.mothering.com/experts/arranga-archive.shtml

Don't even get me started on the rest of the claims in the article!

Anyway, can hair analysis show mercury poisoning? How do they do the analysis? How much mercury has to be present to show a person is poisoned?
Motion affecting a measuring device does not affect what is actually being measured, except to inaccurately measure it. -Eos
"the immaterial world doesn' t matter, cause it ain't matter" -Jeff Corey
I like my men already wounded and full of biting sarcasm. -SamanthaMc
"You are free to be an idiot. I choose not to be." -Skeptica

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:41 am

In my lab we used to offer an mercury in blood analysis but it was cancelled due to lack of demand. It would be the current levels that are interesting to show poisoning.
But it apparently has its use to show past exposure as well http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=15289161
If blood analysis show a high concentration then a hair analysis could show if the exposure was accidental or cronical. Blood analysis should be the first you looked at so you can see if symptoms can be explained by poisoning but in the detective work to determine where the exposure came from hair analysis could be vital. Hair analysis would also be prefered in epidemiological studies since people may give some hair more easily than be poked with needles (especially children).
In the analysis you basically dissolve the sample in acid and heat it so it turns into vapor, then you can see how much light is absorbed from a spectral line of mercury.

Eos of the Eons

Post by Eos of the Eons » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:03 pm

I understand where some poisons in the hair can give a timeline. I can understand for arsenic poisoning.

But mercury? And their claims that the body can have a flaw that doesn't allow for excretion and THAT being the cause of their autism? This then leads them to blame vaccines.
What proof do they have in these claims?

So what if they only do hair analysis and claim the kid was poisoned and that poison caused permanent damage? How valid can these claims be? If there is hardly a trace of mercury found in the hair, the say it strengthens the argument that the autism is caused by mercury poisoning.

I know a parent who won't vaccinate because of these claims.
Please check out the link and let me know what you think.

I think it is bull, but a lot of people are buying it.
Motion affecting a measuring device does not affect what is actually being measured, except to inaccurately measure it. -Eos

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:14 pm

My link describes that since the mercury is in the blood it is incorporated in the hair as it grows in the follicle. I dont know much beyond that. The Holmes study they based their opinion is rather long (10pages) but found differences in mercury levels in the hair of the children. Maybe I'l have the energy to read it later, my darn printer is out of ink. I don't have access to the journal where a reply was published though (MOLECULAR PSYCHIATRY), too bad.

Eos of the Eons

Post by Eos of the Eons » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:41 pm

Sigh, thanks anyway :)

Thing is, how much mercury in the hair has to be present in order to prove a person is "poisoned" (of course they already argue that having only a little present shows that the autistic person is chock full of it and can't "excrete" as much as other people into the hair as the hair grows). How do you prove the mercury was from vaccines even though it is present in the hair long past when the vaccines were admininstered? How do you know the mercury wasn't from the mercury present in food, water, etc.?

Thing is, hair is not where "poisons" are excreted when the body does excrete anything. Wouldn't that be urine? Or is heavy metal stored in body fat and never excreted intentionally?

Argh. I hate not knowing these things.

Vitnir

Post by Vitnir » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:26 am

Well check out my link, I could read the full article online without subscription. It says hair is a good biomarker for mercury and that mercury exposure comes primarily from fish. I have the Holmes study on pdf incase you want to read it, the study in itself doesn't give that much support to autism fears I think (PM with email adress). In Sweden I actually think mothers are advised against eating much fish during pregnancy. Is vaccines really loaded with that much mercury that it could be compared to fish-mercury?