Another reason to get a flu shot

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

Another reason to get a flu shot

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:27 am

Particularly if you have had a heart attack. A pretty big effect too, a 50% reduction in risk.

Flu vaccine cuts risk of heart attack for some patients

People who had a recent heart attack who got the flu shot had a 55% lower risk of having a major cardiac event.

Getting a flu shot cuts the risk of having a heart attack or stroke by more than 50% in people who have had a heart attack, a new study shows.

"We may have identified that the flu vaccine may also be a vaccine against heart attacks," says lead author Jacob Udell, a cardiologist at Women's College Hospital and a scientist at the University of Toronto.

Udell and colleagues analyzed six studies on the heart health of more than 6,700 men and women, average age 67. Half got a flu vaccine; half got a placebo shot or nothing. About a third had heart disease and the rest had risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and smoking.

People who had had a recent heart attack who got the flu shot had a 55% lower risk of having a major cardiac event, such as a heart attack, stroke, heart failure or dying from another cardiac cause, Udell says. "The highest-risk patient got the highest reward for getting the flu shot."

Other findings, out Tuesday in JAMA, a journal of the American Medical Association, showed that people with a history of heart disease who had a flu shot:

• Had an overall 36% reduced risk of a major cardiac event, such as heart attack, stroke, heart failure or death from cardiac-related causes, one year later.

• Were less likely to die from cardiac-related or other causes. Most deaths were from cardiac causes, Udell says.

• Were 30% less likely to have a major cardiac event with a more potent vaccine compared with a typical seasonal vaccine. The stronger vaccine or a booster shot offered more protection, he says.

Amazing. I've not had a heart attack or been diagnosed with heart disease, but I like to get a flu shot anyway. This is one more possible benefit. I'll talk to my wife tonight about scheduling one. See if I can convince her to get one this year too. I wonder if the "stronger vaccine" mentioned above is available? I've never been offered a choice before between a stronger vaccine or a weaker one.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Another reason to get a flu shot

Postby asthmatic camel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:16 am

It's a bloody good idea to have the jab if you can; flu can kill, especially if you have existing health problems such as asthma and diabetes. I don't recall being offered a "stronger" vaccine, although there is a live, attenuated version being introduced here this year. Maybe that's what they mean.

The UK generally uses trivalent vaccines (against two strains of influenza A and one of B), which give about 70-80% protection as long as the virus matches the strains against which the vaccine was prepared. From September 2013, a live, attenuated vaccine (Fluenz®) will be offered to all children aged 2 years. All take 10-14 days to produce active antibody levels.[1]

Protection may be less in the elderly, but immunisation has been shown to reduce the incidence of bronchopneumonia, mortality and hospital admission.
In children, Fluenz® has been shown to provide greater protection than the inactivated vaccine.[1]
The vaccine needs to be given annually to provide protection from the antigenically changed nature of the prevailing virus. In the event of a major antigenic shift liable to cause an epidemic or pandemic, it is likely that a monovalent vaccine would be prepared.
Immunisation should be carried out between September and early November. Although most cases occur from mid-November, it is not unknown for the influenza season to start earlier.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Immunisation should be carried out between September and early November. Although most cases occur from mid-November, it is not unknown for the influenza season to start earlier.

High time to get it done then.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Do they talk about the mechanism?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Do they talk about the mechanism?

Yeah, but they are only theories:

There are a couple theories, Udell says. One is the "vulnerable plaque theory" -- that inflammation caused by the flu "may turn a stable plaque into an unstable plaque and cause a cardiac event."

Plaque is the result of a buildup in the lining of the arteries of fatty substances, cholesterol, calcium and fibrin (a clotting material in the blood).

Another is the "vulnerable patient theory." That suggests that the side effects from the flu, such as coughing, low oxygen, low blood pressure, fast heart rate and possible pneumonia, may strain the heart and cause a cardiac event, he says.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:09 pm

But when you develop autism . . . do not come running to us for sympathy.

Image <---Not Yours

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:09 am

Indeed.

Seek relief at Jenny McCarthys ample dual spigots of Dumbth. :D
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 am

I'm getting a flu shot tomorrow. Where do I send the stereo.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am

We will collect it.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Employee Appreciation Day! They served cake, cookies, coffee, ham sandwiches, potato salad, pasta salad, and bagels in the room opposite the Get Your Health Screening Today! room. So much for the blood glucose level tests...

The person who won the Innovation award was unable to state what it was that they innovated.

Nobody knew what the Best Internal Idea award winner thought of, either.

Got my flu shot, though. The nurse said, "Good, you're not a bleeder."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:39 pm

"Whatever you did, you did not fuck up the company! Congratulations!"

--J.D.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Got my flu shot, though. The nurse said, "Good, you're not a bleeder."

Aaaaand, I would still prefer to get the flu, thankyouverymuch.

:ImOuttaHere:
Such potential!

grayman

Postby grayman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:24 am

Got mine.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Such potential!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Bruce wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Got my flu shot, though. The nurse said, "Good, you're not a bleeder."

Pussy.

:village:
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Pussy.

:village:

Well, as they say, you are what you eat, asshole. :nutkick:
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:15 pm

IIRC there is a nasal spray version of the vaccine.

For pussies. :lol:
William Shakespeare

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”