Dentists playing doctor

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Dentists playing doctor

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:37 pm

So when I went to my usual teeth-cleaning appointment, they wanted a medical history. Okay, well, whatever. Then it's "The doctor will give you a free wellness evaluation." Huh?

The dental assistant tried and failed to take my blood pressure. Then the hygienist tried and got a nice 145/100 after pumping the damn thing so tight I was about to pull it loose just on general principles.

Then they wanted to take blood drop samples.

Fuck off. I have a doctor for that.

Then they used their new computerized gum evaluation machine. Damn droids. "4. WARNING. 6. DANGER." "Oh, that's a bad reading." The way she was jamming the probe into my gums I'm surprised it wasn't a 10. There was bleeding. Well, yes, you are jamming a pointy object into my flesh, what do you expect?

Apparently now certain things are covered by major medical instead of just dental insurance, so the dentist is trying to use that to his financial advantage. They are talking consultations for laser treatments.

I'll opt for a second opinion from a dentist who is content to be a dentist, thanks, just relax.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Dentists playing doctor

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Pyrrho wrote:So when I went to my usual teeth-cleaning appointment, they wanted a medical history. Okay, well, whatever. Then it's "The doctor will give you a free wellness evaluation." Huh?

The dental assistant tried and failed to take my blood pressure. Then the hygienist tried and got a nice 145/100 after pumping the damn thing so tight I was about to pull it loose just on general principles.

Then they used their new computerized gum evaluation machine. Damn droids. "4. WARNING. 6. DANGER." "Oh, that's a bad reading." The way she was jamming the probe into my gums I'm surprised it wasn't a 10. There was bleeding. Well, yes, you are jamming a pointy object into my flesh, what do you expect?

Apparently now certain things are covered by major medical instead of just dental insurance, so the dentist is trying to use that to his financial advantage. They are talking consultations for laser treatments.

I'll opt for a second opinion from a dentist who is content to be a dentist, thanks, just relax.

Your dentist must by my brother-in-law. Has he offered you the sleep apnea monitoring and electronic mouthpiece package? Your insurance will cover a fractional majority of the cost. <--parse that!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Fucking dentists. Mine recommended a £180 electric toothbrush, which I said I'd consider, (yeah, right, but it's kinda sensible to be polite to your dentist.) Next time I went, he was impressed by the state of my dental hygiene and asked "So you bought one of those toothbrushes then?"

I nodded, having paid £4 for something similar at the bargain store.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I had one, about ten years ago, declare he could detect "softening" with his laser, which meant I had to be scheduled for a pro-active and preventative filling.

Still no cavity.

There is a reason suicide is so high in that profession.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:I nodded, having paid £4 for something similar at the bargain store.

About 3 months after I had my wisdom teeth removed, my jaw started getting sore and swelling. After a couple of days, it started rapidly swelling and I got concerned. I lived too far away from my old dentist, so visited a random one in town (it was college, couldn't afford a doctor.

The dentist looked into my mouth and said, "Oh my god. This is the worst infection I've ever seen in my life. How are you feeling right now? Do you feel like you're going to pass out?"

He spent the next 20 minutes lancing and sucking the puss out of my jaw.

Not good bedside manor, but I lived.
Such potential!

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:11 pm

No wisdom teeth in Camel Land; I belong to an advanced species.

:)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:No wisdom teeth in Camel Land; I belong to an advanced species.

George Orwell wrote: ... In Wigan various people gave me their opinion that it is best to get shut of your teeth as early in life as possible. ...
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 pm

George Orwell was correct.

The fewer teeth you have, the more porridge you are forced to eat.

And that's healthy.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:23 pm

;)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:So when I went to my usual teeth-cleaning appointment, they wanted a medical history. Okay, well, whatever. Then it's "The doctor will give you a free wellness evaluation." Huh?

Your dentist must by my brother-in-law. Has he offered you the sleep apnea monitoring and electronic mouthpiece package? Your insurance will cover a fractional majority of the cost. <--parse that!

In network or out of network?

My new dentist will be in-network. For great cheapness.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:34 am

asthmatic camel wrote:No wisdom teeth in Camel Land; I belong to an advanced species.

And you lost a game of Wabble to a Neanderthal.

The future is doomed. :nope
Such potential!

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:14 am

Only because the Neanderthal was cheating.

:P

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”