A symptom of brain injury?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

A symptom of brain injury?

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 am

Canadian woman develops Scottish accent after concussion (Fox)

I will remain skeptical about this story until it is confirmed by the Weekly World News. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Re: A symptom of brain injury?

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:43 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Canadian woman develops Scottish accent after concussion (Fox)

I will remain skeptical about this story until it is confirmed by the Weekly World News. :lmao:

DId anyone bother to ask a Scottish person if her accent is genuine Scottish?

Or is it like when an American uses a faux British accent, which can fool other Americans but doesn't fool actual Brits?

As far as brain injuries changing people, I recall a case where a straight guy had a stroke, which turned him gay. That one sounds legit to me. A lobotomy will change you into a different person too.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 am

I suspect the stroke victim was bi to begin with.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 am

Because brain injuries are so fucking hilarious.

Science:

http://www.utdallas.edu/research/FAS/about/

Foreign accent syndrome (FAS) is speech disorder that causes a sudden change to speech so that a native speaker is perceived to speak with a “foreign” accent. FAS is most often caused by damage to the brain caused by a stroke or traumatic brain injury. Other causes have also been reported including multiple sclerosis and conversion disorder and in some cases no clear cause has been identified.

Speech may be altered in terms of timing, intonation, and tongue placement so that is perceived as sounding foreign. Speech remains highly intelligible and does not necessarily sound disordered.

It's not a Scottish accent. It's just perceived that way by ignorant people.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 am

And chipping a CPU makes C sound like Java?

clarsct

Postby clarsct » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am

False analogy.

The way CPUs and programming languages work in no way adequately describes the processes by which the human brain works.

Best semi-educated guess.....the areas of the brain that process and perceive language were damaged. It would be interesting if the accent were what the person thought a Scot may sound like.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:07 am

clarsct wrote:False analogy.

The way CPUs and programming languages work in no way adequately describes the processes by which the human brain works.

:lol:

And CPUs don't talk C, Java or even assembler (or we woulden't need compilers), they talk 0110001011101… (well, not all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setun ), and if chipped (my weak try at a pun) they're dead – not like our splendid semi-analog multitask reconfigurable homegrown but slow brain made of meat.

Pyrrho's remark got me thinking:
– apart from injury, we all know that speech can be impaired (e. g. when drunk, or very tired). How come it's never the "accent" module who craps out first?
– some people, learning a foreign language and mastering perfectly the "technicalities" (i. e. forming sentences like native people), still never get the accent right. From what I read, but it's mostly anecdotal, it seems they actually are unable to hear the difference. Is there, akin to tone-deafness, an accent-deafness?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

Witness wrote:Pyrrho's remark got me thinking:
– apart from injury, we all know that speech can be impaired (e. g. when drunk, or very tired). How come it's never the "accent" module who craps out first?

Because what happens is you have both a delay in motor skill as well as control.

– some people, learning a foreign language and mastering perfectly the "technicalities" (i. e. forming sentences like native people), still never get the accent right.

Indeed. I forget the age--methinks around 13ish--after that your language centers are so calcified and rotted you cannot:

From what I read, but it's mostly anecdotal, it seems they actually are unable to hear the difference.

do that. You also have a problem in that it appears secondary languages become stored in other areas. Been a while since I looked.

Is there, akin to tone-deafness, an accent-deafness?

There is in that we lose the ability to quickly recognize the difference. There is an old joke where the Japanese complain about how 'Mericans can never understand various nuances such as the difference between a hospital and a beauty parlor. The length of the vowels matter. One of the problem with English transliteration is the "o" is the same. The long "o" sounds the same it is just held twice as long. In English, we then to lengthen as we stress a syllable which can cause all sorts of problems in Japanese.

To which the Conquerors remind the Japanese of their inability to handle definite and indefinite articles. That and "r."

More to your point, the infamous Japanese "r" is a cross between an "L" and an "R." This is very, very hard for someone to pronounce who has not grown up with it. I have had fun trying to teach Japanese girls how to "roll" their "r's."

Do not ask me how.

As Your Motha! BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:43 am

Doctor X wrote:More to your point, the infamous Japanese "r" is a cross between an "L" and an "R." This is very, very hard for someone to pronounce who has not grown up with it. I have had fun trying to teach Japanese girls how to "roll" their "r's."

People tell me that my accent is quite good. I can pronounce the Japanese "r" like a Japanese. And I learned as an adult.

It's more difficult for them to pronounce either our "r" or "l" I think. Witness is right that they can't hear the difference.

Because it's in-between, both letters sound wrong to us. "Rice" sounds like "lice" and conversely "love" sounds like "rub" (because "v" is also a problem for them).

And of course there's words like "city" that can sound like something else when pronounced by the Japanese. :D
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

Perhaps they are polite?

I have been told my Japanese is good, and my pronunciation is anything but.

Though, since you live there and are forced to listen to it, your pronunciation is probably light-years better. I am by nature a "mimic" in that if I am with a group I will tend to speak with the group's accent. I had a South Carolinian accent I could not shake for a few days. I have to be careful because the normal reaction to that is I am "mocking" an accent. However--and here is the "point"--since I am too busy trying to translate spoken Japanese, I do not have the opportunity to listen to the rhythm enough to mimic it.

Which brings the second point: I know those who are very good at speaking and understanding Japanese . . . and yet I can "hear" their accent "off."

Returning to the main topic, to write the bleedin' obvious language is a very complicated thing. There are a lot of different brain regions involved in the reception, understanding, creation, and actual production of language. Focal lesions and more extensive injuries can mess up connection between regions and/or damage a region.

Here is a little story: Ancient Greek had a rhythm. There was an actual rising and falling intonation. I have a nice CD of British academics trying to reproduce it. Even they readily confess it is almost impossible to "keep it up." Modern Greek lost this. In fact, not so modern Greek also lost it. The point is that once it was easy enough for anyone to produce. Then . . . not so easy.

--J.D.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 am

Doctor X wrote:Perhaps they are polite?

I have been told my Japanese is good, and my pronunciation is anything but.

It's true that any non-Japanese who can speak even a little bit will get a "Nihongo ga jouzu desu ne!"

But I'm not talking about that. And I'm not claiming native-level proficiency either, but I have been mistaken for Japanese when talking on a phone for example.

Where I run into problems is that my vocabulary is more limited and sometimes I can't remember the word I want to use.

As long as the words are words I know, I'm past translating it into English and can understand it as Japanese. And I can hear a foreign accent too, if it's pronounced.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 am

Congratulations!

I am still stuck speaking 英本語.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm

And:

--J.D.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”