Who will break the news to the First Lady?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Who will break the news to the First Lady?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Re: Who will break the news to the First Lady?

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Whoa, slow down there a moment.

Did she ever claim that fast food is "the major" cause of obesity?
However a new study found that fast-food consumption is simply a byproduct of a much bigger problem: poor all-day-long dietary habits that originate in children's homes.
Sounds right: Children who are allowed to eat on demand, whatever they prefer, at all hours.

Anyway, here's what the First Lady's website says:

http://www.letsmove.gov/learn-facts/epi ... od-obesity
How Did We Get Here?

Thirty years ago, most people led lives that kept them at a healthy weight. Kids walked to and from school every day, ran around at recess, participated in gym class, and played for hours after school before dinner. Meals were home-cooked with reasonable portion sizes and there was always a vegetable on the plate. Eating fast food was rare and snacking between meals was an occasional treat.

Today, children experience a very different lifestyle. Walks to and from school have been replaced by car and bus rides. Gym class and after-school sports have been cut; afternoons are now spent with TV, video games, and the internet. Parents are busier than ever and families eat fewer home-cooked meals. Snacking between meals is now commonplace.

Thirty years ago, kids ate just one snack a day, whereas now they are trending toward three snacks, resulting in an additional 200 calories a day. And one in five school-age children has up to six snacks a day.

Portion sizes have also exploded- they are now two to five times bigger than they were in years past. Beverage portions have grown as well- in the mid-1970s, the average sugar-sweetened beverage was 13.6 ounces compared totoday, kids think nothing of drinking 20 ounces of sugar-sweetened beverages at a time.

In total, we are now eating 31 percent more calories than we were forty years ago–including 56 percent more fats and oils and 14 percent more sugars and sweeteners. The average American now eats fifteen more pounds of sugar a year than in 1970.

Eight to 18-year old adolescents spend an average of 7.5 hours a day using entertainment media, including, TV, computers, video games, cell phones and movies, and only one-third of high school students get the recommended levels of physical activity.
So she wasn't blaming it all on fast food, and they aren't saying fast food isn't part of the problem, just that it's part of a larger pattern of behavior.

Back to the article:
"Eating fast foods is just one behavior that results from those bad habits. Just because children who eat more fast food are the most likely to become obese does not prove that calories from fast foods bear the brunt of the blame."
"The study presented strong evidence that the children's diet beyond fast- food consumption is more strongly linked to poor nutrition and obesity," said Jennifer Poti, doctoral candidate in UNC's Department of Nutrition and co-author of the study. "While reducing fast-food intake is important, the rest of a child's diet should not be overlooked."
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Who's going to break the news to McDonalds?

Fast food is the 'unhealthy choice', McDonald's tells its own staff :)
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm

OTOH, the legal remedy to childhood obesity (it's a crisis, you know), always seems to involve some sort of restriction on burger joints.

Because the job of the government is to DO SOMETHING!!!!11!!!1!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 am

As far as I know, that's not what the First Lady's thing is about though.

It's mostly about awareness-raising and improving school lunch programs I think.

Here's a list and description of their initiatives, and regulating fast food joints does not appear to be on the list:

http://www.letsmove.gov/initiatives

Also, I just saw this come up on Google News, from the Wall Street Journal:

Americans' Eating Habits Take a Healthier Turn, Study Finds
Working-age adults consumed an average of 118 fewer calories a day in the 2009-10 period than four years earlier, according to a study released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Americans also reported eating more home-cooked meals with their families and fewer in restaurants—though the economy played a role—and reading nutritional labels on food at grocery stores more often.
The USDA report said that about 20% of the improvements in diets of those surveyed could be traced to Americans cutting back on fast food or restaurant meals.

The decline appeared to be more influenced by "an increase in consumer focus on nutrition in selecting foods, changes in the quality of foods available and greater nutritional information available to consumers," said Jessica Todd, a USDA economist who wrote the report.
Last week, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation reported that products sold by 16 of the nation's leading food and beverage companies had a combined total of 6.4 trillion fewer calories in 2012 than they did in 2007—a reduction of 78 calories per person, per day.

That effort—which included developing lower-calorie options and reducing portion sizes—far exceeded a pledge made by the group in connection with Let's Move, a national fitness and nutrition campaign developed with the help of First Lady Michelle Obama.
As far as I know, outside of New York City, most of this is not by passing new laws and regulations but by persuasion and public pressure.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 am

But if you advocate something, someone else might try to force it and then it's totally your fault!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

gnome wrote:But if you advocate something, someone else might try to force it and then it's totally your fault!
Oh please. She's the wife of the president, not just some "concerned" citizen.

She is de facto part of the government. We even pay for her secretary.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

But if someone who is de facto part of the government advocates something, someone else might try to force it and then it's totally her fault!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:55 pm

gnome wrote:But if someone who is de facto part of the government advocates something, someone else might try to force it and then it's totally her fault!
Not totally.

Every criminal has accomplices, every crime boss has henchmen.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 am

So nobody in the government should advocate anything, of course.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm

gnome wrote:So nobody in the government should advocate anything stupid and evil, of course.
FTFY. :)

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:00 pm

healthy food is stupid and evil.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 pm

gnome wrote:healthy food is stupid and evil.
It's not about healthy food. It's about mean spirited megalomaniacs micro-managing your daily life.

For the children of course ... ahem ... I mean THE CHILDRENTM.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:29 pm

You're inserting your own proposition into mine.

The content of what she is advocating is what I am speaking to. If you wish to discuss hidden motivations that is a separate statement than what I am arguing.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Healthy food is good, OK?

:P

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 am

Be careful, don't annoy the first lady!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:56 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Healthy food is good, OK?

:P
Okay, fine. NOW get to the part where you have evidence that hers is an agenda of control. What has she done to institute control?
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

gnome wrote: ... an agenda of control. ...
She is part of the administration, not an independent actor. The de facto second highest ranking politician in the Democratic Party.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Are you in fact claiming that this high ranking politician does not have an agenda of control?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Give up AA. The level of your FAIL in this thread is rising! :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote: ... an agenda of control. ...
She is part of the administration, not an independent actor. The de facto second highest ranking politician in the Democratic Party.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Are you in fact claiming that this high ranking politician does not have an agenda of control?
So again I ask, anything advocated by a high level government official has an agenda of control? They can't say anything's a good idea, it has to mean it's about to be mandatory?

I'll hold you to that.
--Soldier, TF2