Is holding your pee dangerous?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
LadyGaia95

Is holding your pee dangerous?

Postby LadyGaia95 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 pm

I read that Tycho Brahe, an astronomer of the 15th century working in collaboration with Kepler, died because he deemed it impolite to void during a banquent. It was said that he had died from a burst bladder from holding back.

It was thought he died from mercury poisoning but then that theory was dismissed because they found the levels weren't high enough to have killed.

Some news articles warn alcohol users that alcohol may result in an atonic and over-distended bladder while reducing the sensation of a full bladder, and that this can cause the bladder to burst when it gets too full. This seems to contradict popular assurances that this cannot happen but I really can't decide. I happen to have a friend with shy bladder syndrome so I'm wondering if this really can happen. What do you think?

silverdrake
Title: Girlie Girl

Re: Is holding your pee dangerous?

Postby silverdrake » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:31 pm

http://www.tychobrahe.com/UK/tycho_myter.html

"In the summer of 1996, the University of Lund carried out a PIXE analysis of hair from Tycho Brahe (PIXE = Particle Induced X-ray Emission). With the PIXE method it has been possible to see not only what substances are present in the hair but also their precise location. If the mercury came from the embalming process, the mercury would be found on the outside of the hairs. If Tycho Brahe had been slowly poisoned by chemical experiments or the gold-plating process the mercury would be inside long sections of the hairs. What the analysis actually has shown is that only one of the hairs contained mercury. This hair was the only one with the hair follicle still attached, and the mercury was present close to the hair follicle. It was inside the hair, which means that it came through the body via the blood. It is calculated that the mercury concentration rose very quickly, in just 5-10 minutes, and that it sank just as fast. This and the mercury concentration's distance from the hair-root, show that Tycho Brahe must have ingested a large dose of mercury about 20 hours before his death. Unfortunately, the analysis is unable to explain the presence of mercury in Tycho Brahe's body. He might have taken it himself as a medicine for his illness. He might have
been deliberately poisoned. It is impossible to know for sure. It can only be concluded that he mercury poisoning might have caused his death."

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Socrates' death is described at the end of Plato's Phaedo. Socrates turned down Crito's pleas to attempt an escape from prison. After drinking the poison, he was instructed to walk around until his legs felt numb. After he lay down, the man who administered the poison pinched his foot; Socrates could no longer feel his legs. The numbness slowly crept up his body until it reached his heart. Shortly before his death, Socrates speaks his last words to Crito: "Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm

The autopsy data indicate that Beethoven had cirrhosis of the liver, and probably also renal papillary necrosis, pancreatitis and possibly diabetes mellitus. His lifestyle for at least the final decade of his life indicated that he overindulged in alcohol in the form of wine. Alcohol was by far the most common cause of cirrhosis at that period. Toxicological analysis of his hair showed that the level of lead was elevated. During the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, lead was added illegally to inexpensive wines to sweeten and refresh them. These findings strongly suggest that liver failure secondary to alcoholic cirrhosis, associated with terminal spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, was the cause of death. This was complicated in the end stages by renal failure. If the presence of endogenous lead was verified by analysis of Beethoven's skeletal remains, it would suggest that the lead was derived from wine that he drank. Lead poisoning may account for some of his end-of-life symptoms. There is little clinical or autopsy evidence that Beethoven suffered from syphilis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17214130
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 am

Wikipedia wrote:On August 14, 1996, Karen Wetterhahn, a chemistry professor working at Dartmouth College, spilled a small amount of dimethylmercury on her latex glove. She began experiencing the symptoms of mercury poisoning five months later and, despite aggressive chelation therapy, died a few months later from brain malfunction due to mercury intoxication.

On March 19, 2008, Tony Winnett, 55, inhaled mercury vapors while trying to extract gold from computer parts (by using liquid mercury to separate gold from the rest of the alloy), and died ten days later. His Oklahoma residence became so contaminated that it had to be gutted.

In December 2008, actor Jeremy Piven was diagnosed with mercury poisoning possibly resulting from eating sushi twice a day for twenty years or herbal remedies he was also taking.

In India, a study by non-profit Centre for Science and Environment has found that in country's energy capital, Singrauli, mercury is slowly entering people's homes, food, water and even blood.

(My emphasis: she was a professional and had taken safety measures, yet the poison crossed the protective glove.)

[edited for typo]
Last edited by Witness on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:55 am

Damn. I liberated a container with many grams of liquid mercury from my HS chem lab and fooled around with it for years.

Whew! Lucky to be alive!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:38 am

Bruce might know more about this, but maybe Dimethylmercury is more dangerous than pure mercury. I wouldn't mess around with any form of mercury though.
Dimethylmercury ((CH3)2Hg) is an organomercury compound. This colorless liquid is one of the strongest known neurotoxins. It is described as having a slightly sweet smell, although inhaling enough vapor to detect its odor would be hazardous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

I wonder if high schools still keep dangerous chemicals like mercury lying around.

As far as the dangers of holding your pee go:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/09/28/ ... ts-licence
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:48 am

There was the famous case of a student working with dimethyl mercury and spilled a drop on her glove. It soaked through the glove and she died. There are many who think she died from something other than dimethyl mercury poisioning because several claim to have gotten much more than a drop on their bare skin and suffered no ill effects.

Mercury is well known to be neurotoxic, and mercury in it's ionized (Hg2+) and radical form (Hg•) is even more toxic, but there are few volunteers when it comes to testing the short and long term toxicological effects on humans for some reason.

Mercuric nitrate was used to make hats, thus Mad Hatter's disease.
Such potential!

MRC_Hans

Postby MRC_Hans » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 pm

LadyGaia95 wrote:I read that Tycho Brahe, an astronomer of the 15th century working in collaboration with Kepler, died because he deemed it impolite to void during a banquent. It was said that he had died from a burst bladder from holding back.

It was thought he died from mercury poisoning but then that theory was dismissed because they found the levels weren't high enough to have killed.

Some news articles warn alcohol users that alcohol may result in an atonic and over-distended bladder while reducing the sensation of a full bladder, and that this can cause the bladder to burst when it gets too full. This seems to contradict popular assurances that this cannot happen but I really can't decide. I happen to have a friend with shy bladder syndrome so I'm wondering if this really can happen. What do you think?

No. Under normal conditions, a person cannot hold his urine back voluntarily till his bladder bursts. At some point he will have to let go. :eekeyes: .... :oops:

However, a distended bladder is at risk of bursting if an accident happens. That is the reason you ay wet yourself, if you get very frightened: The body empties the bladder to avoid that danger if you are to be exposed to violence.

As for the anecdote you mention, it is highly improbable: First of all, leaving the table to relieve yourself was normal procedure during banquets of that era. Also, Tycho Brahe wasn't exactly known for his delicate disposition.

Hans
Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”