Does supplemental protein really work?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with real biceps tumors.

Does anyone know the story behind that photo? Some kind of implants like women use to augment their breasts?

I guess there's ass implants too, aren't there?

Synthol.

http://acidcow.com/pics/5770-victims-of ... -pics.html

Synthol works by filling the muscle up with an oil substance. This substance abuse can really get out of proportion and end up hurting your health. It is site-injected, that is, it is injected directly into the muscle whose size is to be increased. Synthol is usually used to 'top up' a muscle that is not quite up to standard with the rest of the body.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 pm

That merits a Image

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Miles
Title: Kilometre's half-brother

Postby Miles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Yes, some women actually do get glute implants. That still doesn't prevail over the fact that many women think it's a good idea to have themselves injected with botulinum toxin (botox). They look terrible after a couple of years.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 am

Pyrrho wrote:Synthol.

Synthol works by filling the muscle up with an oil substance. This substance abuse can really get out of proportion and end up hurting your health. It is site-injected, that is, it is injected directly into the muscle whose size is to be increased. Synthol is usually used to 'top up' a muscle that is not quite up to standard with the rest of the body.

A confusion of brands here. This picture from the provided link:

is an old French cure-all:

Wikipedia wrote:This article is about the mouthwash and tonic. For the unrelated oil used in bodybuilding, see Synthol (bodybuilding).

Synthol is a mouthwash, hair product and tonic, available in France since 1925. Synthol was developed by Maurice Bunau-Varilla, a prominent newspaper publisher of the early twentieth century. He promoted it as a cure-all tonic.[1]

The formula consists of chloral hydrate, menthol, veratrol, resorcinol and salicylic acid. Sold mainly as a mouthwash, in a distinctive black carton, it is also packaged as a gel and spray for the treatment of muscular pain.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:56 am

I had a friend at work who was buying designer protein mixes made to order of various protein types (whey, from beef, from egg) etc. He was also taking all sorts of supplemental chemicals.

I bet him I would do just fine buying bags of whatever they sold at Costco. Costco is just whey+glutamin+bcaa. So protein plus some chemicals for recovery.

My deadlift is up to 400lbs, my bench is near 300, my squat is at 300 as well.

I got to that from doing hardly any free weights at all. Mostly because I had a hunch that the designer proteins he was buying were bullshit and wanted to show I could do it off the counter at costco.

I eat a 15g protein greek yogurt for breakfast, a 20g protein bar mid morning, a small lunch of whatever, a protein bar or 15g protein ostrim stick for midafternoon, i usually have a 45g whey protein smoothie after my workout, i eat a small dinner, I mix a costco protein mix shake a few hours later 45g, and usually eat another greek yogurt 15g before bed.

So I try to get 150g+ just from what I eat plus the supplemental stuff. The thing about building mass is, you have to feed the beast. Suddenly eating pizza and doughnuts is no longer an option BECAUSE I NEED 15-45g of BROTEIN STAT!!!!

Real studies confirm, protein absorption is better when getting it more often.

Info:
chobani pineapple/bloodorange/cherry packs from costco (140 cals and 14-15g of brotein)
coconut-cashew quest bars on subscription from amazon (180 cals and 20 grams of brotein)
ostrim 96 percent fat free ostrich-beef snacks on subscription from amazon prime (80 cals and 14-15g of brotein, wooo!)
Cytosport 100% Whey from Costco (30 grams of brotein per scoop)

May Brodin be with you.

If you want some no-bullshit workout routines to base your own off of. I recommend Dorian Yates Blood and Guts web series. I don't follow his workouts exactly, but I did use them as a template for my own. He has a no-bullshit style that works.

"Everybody wanna be a body builder, but don't nobody wanna lif no heavy ass weights." St. Ronnie Coleman of the Church of Brodin.

Edited to add: Gaining mass naturally is a _slow_ process of hard work and discipline. If you wanna do it the easy way, google "research chemicals clen tren". Most of the performance enhancing drugs athletes take aren't actually illegal. You can order them as research chemicals. I do it the natural way using the no-nonsense exercises that people have been using for decades and watching what I eat. I see younger guys at the gym obviously taking shortcuts. There is a lot of real research on the things that work and don't work. Protein is protein, whether you mix it in shake or get in a cup of yogurt. Whey is whey. Casein is casein. I don't recognize a difference in ingested protein if it came out of a dry mix bag or a freshly baked chicken breast. It is still ingested protein and your body does the same thing with it.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 am

Corps, suppose you kept the exercise routine exactly the same, but just ate regular food instead?

Do you think it would make a difference?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 am

I wish somebody would do the following study:

The population is all identical twins.

They both do the same exercises under the guidance of a trainer.

Randomly, one gets the protein diet with the protein shakes and the other just eats whatever he wants.

I would be curious what the results would be.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Corps, suppose you kept the exercise routine exactly the same, but just ate regular food instead?

Do you think it would make a difference?

Yes. I would lose mass.

This is how "fitness" competitors who switch from bodybuilding do so. They basically switch off protein and let their bodies shrink.

Fitness competitors don't merely compete on the look of their body, but on practical use. They actually do things other than pose. They want to be lean and able to do insane feats of athleticism.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:29 pm

corplinx wrote:Fitness competitors don't merely compete on the look of their body, but on practical use.

Think Schwartzenegger in Stay Hungry versus Schwartzenegger in Conan the Bavarian.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

HghrSymmetry

Postby HghrSymmetry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Miles wrote:
HghrSymmetry wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with real biceps tumors.

Does anyone know the story behind that photo? Some kind of implants like women use to augment their breasts?

I guess there's ass implants too, aren't there?

It amazes me how someone can look at themselves in a mirror and think that actually looks good. :shock:

Just awful. I suppose it's a form of BDD. Not that I don't have it also, but haven't resorted to injecting sterile oil into the muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder
Warning! I post like you do.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Synthol injections are a cheat body builders used to make a muscle that looks asymmetrically small appear larger. Symmetry is a large part of competition.

It was never meant to balloon biceps to comical proportions. You basically had professional appearance competitions where it was used as a cheat to make a muscle group match other muscle groups that are more developed.

So cheating vs BDD or Vanity is the main use.

HghrSymmetry

Postby HghrSymmetry » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 am

corplinx wrote:Synthol injections are a cheat body builders used to make a muscle that looks asymmetrically small appear larger. Symmetry is a large part of competition.

It was never meant to balloon biceps to comical proportions. You basically had professional appearance competitions where it was used as a cheat to make a muscle group match other muscle groups that are more developed.

So cheating vs BDD or Vanity is the main use.

Acknowleged. That's how it started. Remember when Flex's calves blew up seemingly overnight?

The nuts in the link will never step on a stage (or at least we hope not).
Warning! I post like you do.

Miles

Postby Miles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 am

I recently purchased a bioimpedance scanning system, and I decided to have my composition assessed.
My body fat percentage is 17%, while my muscle mass percentage is 45%. I've gained a couple of pounds lately (for rowing), but I still don't appear 'filled out' unless I'm actually flexing my arms.

Has anyone here had any luck with supplements? Perhaps it's just me.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Miles wrote:I recently purchased a bioimpedance scanning system

WTF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioimpedance

"Citation needed"

Hm, I dunno. Skin galvanometry can be used to sense nerve action, e.g. in EEG, EMG, EKG. The Wiki article on Bioimpedance references societies for the advancement of Bioimpedance and one article about an INVASIVE procedure.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Miles

Postby Miles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:34 pm

I was referring to ''Bioelectrical impedance analysis''. That's what it says on the box, anyway. It's a method commonly used in gym scales that measure your composition.
Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information. ( http://www.brianmac.co.uk/fatbia.htm ) , ( http://www.tanita.com/en/ )

BIA involves running a light electrical current through your body. Fat-free mass contains mostly water, while fat contains very little water. Thus, fat-free mass will have less resistance to an electrical current. By determining the resistance of a current running through your body, theoretically we could get an estimate of how much fat-free and fat mass you have. There are many BIA devices out there, including devices by Omron and Tanita.

The one I have classifies bone density, fat, muscle, and water.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Miles wrote:I recently purchased a bioimpedance scanning system, and I decided to have my composition assessed.
My body fat percentage is 17%, while my muscle mass percentage is 45%. I've gained a couple of pounds lately (for rowing), but I still don't appear 'filled out' unless I'm actually flexing my arms.

Has anyone here had any luck with supplements? Perhaps it's just me.

If you are gaining mass naturally. It is going to be something you aren't going to notice day-to-day.

Steroids however.... the pro-wrestler "Superstar Billy Graham" was juicing so much, he claimed he could feel this muscles expanding at night as tried to fall asleep.

Check your gains monthly. No scanner. No fancy stuff. Just check the scale, the mirror, and how much more you're lifting.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:03 am

Supplements:

2 months ago I started having chronic lower leg pain. I finally went to a sports medicine doctor who diagnosed it as a stress fracture of the fibula.

Those barefoot shoes I love for running and doing squats in, are horrible for doing box jumps in. The flat bottom means your heel takes all the pressure when you land.

So I stopped doing box jumps. The other thing I started doing, was taking supplemental vitamin D. The doc said just about everyone who walks through his door turns out Vitamin D deficient if tested. Pro sports teams are on the Vitamin D kick for preventing bone injuries these days.

He prescribed me 50,000 IU capsules of Vitamin D to take once weekly while the fracture heals. He also recommended I take a daily 1000 IU supplement after my leg is better to help strengthen my frame and prevent injury.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3497950/

So, the Cytosport protein I consume does have L-Glutamine and Branched Chain Amino Acids in it. So technically I am supplementing those things. However, those are again basic building blocks.

So in addition to the stuff "ragu" im my protein, I am now taking supplemental vitamin D3.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 am

corplinx wrote:If you are gaining mass naturally. It is going to be something you aren't going to notice day-to-day.

Steroids however.... the pro-wrestler "Superstar Billy Graham" was juicing so much, he claimed he could feel this muscles expanding at night as tried to fall asleep.

Check your gains monthly. No scanner. No fancy stuff. Just check the scale, the mirror, and how much more you're lifting.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Protein supplements almost certainly get more protein in your digestive tract than you would otherwise have.
NI on whether that translates into your bloodstream.
NI on whether it helps you recover from low-rep high-weight exercise.
NI on whether it puts you at an increased risk of gout.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm

DrMatt wrote:Protein supplements almost certainly get more protein in your digestive tract than you would otherwise have.
NI on whether that translates into your bloodstream.
NI on whether it helps you recover from low-rep high-weight exercise.
NI on whether it puts you at an increased risk of gout.

I'm pretty sure we actually have information on those things. Protein absorption is pretty well understood to the point where it is uncontroversial.

In fact, there is no link between supplemental protein and gout. It is also hard to develop gout on a strict protein regimen.

Take a look at my diet I posted earlier, there is almost zero purines in that diet. There is zero link between gout and whey protein.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”