Does supplemental protein really work?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

corplinx wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Protein supplements almost certainly get more protein in your digestive tract than you would otherwise have.
NI on whether that translates into your bloodstream.
NI on whether it helps you recover from low-rep high-weight exercise.
NI on whether it puts you at an increased risk of gout.


I'm pretty sure we actually have information on those things. Protein absorption is pretty well understood to the point where it is uncontroversial.

In fact, there is no link between supplemental protein and gout. It is also hard to develop gout on a strict protein regimen.

Take a look at my diet I posted earlier, there is almost zero purines in that diet. There is zero link between gout and whey protein.


Gout refers to the accumulation of uric acid deposits in joints, tendons, and surrounding tissues. The enzyme xanthine oxidase synthesizes uric acid from xanthine and hypoxanthine. It is the excessive consumption of purines that can lead to the over-production of uric acid --though purines are found in high concentration within meat products they do not appear to be a direct metabolite of whey protein.

I know of many individuals who consume higher dosages of whey protein -- a majority of them being vegeterian, none of them in particular experienced gout.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Miles wrote:
corplinx wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Protein supplements almost certainly get more protein in your digestive tract than you would otherwise have.
NI on whether that translates into your bloodstream.
NI on whether it helps you recover from low-rep high-weight exercise.
NI on whether it puts you at an increased risk of gout.


I'm pretty sure we actually have information on those things. Protein absorption is pretty well understood to the point where it is uncontroversial.

In fact, there is no link between supplemental protein and gout. It is also hard to develop gout on a strict protein regimen.

Take a look at my diet I posted earlier, there is almost zero purines in that diet. There is zero link between gout and whey protein.


Gout refers to the accumulation of uric acid deposits in joints, tendons, and surrounding tissues. The enzyme xanthine oxidase synthesizes uric acid from xanthine and hypoxanthine. It is the excessive consumption of purines that can lead to the over-production of uric acid --though purines are found in high concentration within meat products they do not appear to be a direct metabolite of whey protein.

I know of many individuals who consume higher dosages of whey protein -- a majority of them being vegeterian, none of them in particular experienced gout.


Thank you wikipedia. The point is that people adding muscle mass tend to eat chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, whey protein shakes, etc. There is a reason all those muscleheads at the gym aren't limping around with gout. Being a "musclehead" actually takes a lot of work, science, measuring, and discipline if you do it naturally.

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 pm

corplinx wrote:
Miles wrote:
corplinx wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Protein supplements almost certainly get more protein in your digestive tract than you would otherwise have.
NI on whether that translates into your bloodstream.
NI on whether it helps you recover from low-rep high-weight exercise.
NI on whether it puts you at an increased risk of gout.


I'm pretty sure we actually have information on those things. Protein absorption is pretty well understood to the point where it is uncontroversial.

In fact, there is no link between supplemental protein and gout. It is also hard to develop gout on a strict protein regimen.

Take a look at my diet I posted earlier, there is almost zero purines in that diet. There is zero link between gout and whey protein.


Gout refers to the accumulation of uric acid deposits in joints, tendons, and surrounding tissues. The enzyme xanthine oxidase synthesizes uric acid from xanthine and hypoxanthine. It is the excessive consumption of purines that can lead to the over-production of uric acid --though purines are found in high concentration within meat products they do not appear to be a direct metabolite of whey protein.

I know of many individuals who consume higher dosages of whey protein -- a majority of them being vegeterian, none of them in particular experienced gout.


Thank you wikipedia. The point is that people adding muscle mass tend to eat chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, whey protein shakes, etc. There is a reason all those muscleheads at the gym aren't limping around with gout. Being a "musclehead" actually takes a lot of work, science, measuring, and discipline if you do it naturally.


The good news is that I've gained a bit of weight. I now weigh in at a jaw-dropping 110 pounds. :P 41% of my mass is currently muscle. I can't be too unhealthy. I'll be monitoring my muscle mass % as I go along with these supplements to measure any changes.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Miles wrote:The good news is that I've gained a bit of weight. I now weigh in at a jaw-dropping 110 pounds. :P 41% of my mass is currently muscle. I can't be too unhealthy. I'll be monitoring my muscle mass % as I go along with these supplements to measure any changes.


110? Jesus.

Well. Now that you are no longer a weakling weighing 98 pounds, you need to websites to help you accept your new body.

http://www.twoscoopsgethuge.com/ - musclehead parody humor
http://reddit.com/r/swoleacceptance/ - parody of body acceptance

Gaining weight when you are starting with a naturally small frame (like it sounds you have) is pretty fricken' hard. I was always a stout guy before I started hitting the iron seriously and regimenting what I ate.

After getting a stress fracture in fibula though, it has made me respect calcium/vitamin D more. You gotta be building the bones up along with the muscles. Don't be afraid of milk.

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

I know, 110 lbs. I'm a boulder. :D

Yes, my frame is very small. My bones are also rather narrow, but I'm short in stature, which I assumed was easier with putting on weight since the weight doesn't get distributed as much.

I drink about 1000 ml of milk per day. Vitamin D is fine. I'm a little deficient in vitamin b12 and iron, though.
Thanks for those links.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25374
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2637 times
Been thanked: 2655 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm thinking about living for a year on nothing but pancake breakfasts, box lunches, fish frys, and spaghetti dinners.

What could go wrong?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 pm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fitness ... ition.html

Muscle magazines peddle all sorts of woo within. The Fitness industry is rife with smartly marketed placebos. I was happy to learn "Muscle and Fitness" hired an actual phd and researcher to be their science editor.

Here is one his articles at bodybuilding.com where he shows a meal plan based on his protein needs. Not for the faint of heart. He eats a ton of protein both in his base meals and through powder.

The article is also a way for Jim to peddle the supplements he brands. It is forgivable though, I checked the labels and he basically includes stuff that actually does stuff based on actual research. No 50 herb blends full of wishful thinking and hope.

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm

Ah, thank you for the link.
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-sto ... taine.html


Stoppani on Betaine. Looks good.

Every once in a while, a hot new supplement comes along and generates a buzz based on a single study that sounds—and often is—too good to be true. And then there are the supplements that gradually build up a solid body of research without much hype. Then, years later, they finally get the recognition they deserve. Betaine is one of these.


28 references. I like his style, even though bodybuilding.com has a vested interested in running his articles since they sell supplements.


Me? I got a tub of Purple Wraath Lemonade off amazon. It has your branched chain aminos, betaine, Beta Alanine, vitamin B, potassium. Bascially everything legal you want to drink pre-during-post workout but without a caffeine megadose (more pre-workout mixes load up a ton of caffeine).

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 am

Hmm. I visit that website regularly, though I have not came across his topics.
I am intolerant to caffeine so this is a fair alternative. I'll purchase some. :)
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Some combination seems to be working because I have just scanned myself and my body fat has plunged down to 11% and my muscle mass has shot up to 50%. I performed my last (''current'') scan around a month and a half ago -- the change is not very visible but I'll give it time.

I am somewhat concerned about my drop in body fat since I require a higher level of fat to help me absorb certain vitamins. How can I maintain it?
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Miles wrote:Some combination seems to be working because I have just scanned myself and my body fat has plunged down to 11% and my muscle mass has shot up to 50%. I performed my last (''current'') scan around a month and a half ago -- the change is not very visible but I'll give it time.

I am somewhat concerned about my drop in body fat since I require a higher level of fat to help me absorb certain vitamins. How can I maintain it?


Drink more milkshakes?

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am
Title: Kilometre's half-brother
Location: England
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by Miles » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I'll do just that, as a nice addition to my junk food diet :P .
I'm allergic to woo. I break out into rant. --Miles B. 07/04/2014

AHHHHHH, SHADAP!!!!! -- JasonAristotle 07/04/2014

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Does supplemental protein really work?

Post by corplinx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Miles wrote:I'll do just that, as a nice addition to my junk food diet :P .



I mean honestly, it is pretty easy to add fat to a body! Just eat crappy food.

Clean eating:
high protein
moderate good fats
low sugar
low bad fats

Dirty eating:
whatever!!!

In bodybuilding, adding non-lean mass is referred to as "dirty bulking". Google it. It won't be very scientific. Guys dirty bulking basically eat anything. McDonalds double cheesburgers!