Itires

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Llacheu

Itires

Postby Llacheu » Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 pm

My SO had her hopes raised when a physical therapist told her mother that some people had some success in treating edema with an herbal medicine called Itires. So my SO ordered some from an internet pharmacy (one of her health problems is anasarca.)

It arrived today. It is a homeopathic concoction, with various ingredients with concentrations ranging from one in a million molecules to one in a trillion molecules. It was also 30% alcohol by volume. I had to explain to her what homeopathy is, how it claims to work, and that it doesn't. She knew, but she sometimes feels desperate, and the desperation affects her thinking. She was very angry, first at me, then at her mother, then finally at the sellers.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with loved ones trying homeopathic medicines, or with the anger when the loved one realizes what kind of scam it is?
In fact, 10,500 BC was the first time Orion's belt was ever visible in the night sky and the alignment is perfect.

If you deny this you simply are a holocaust denier. - Kilik

JasonAristotle wrote:
I SAY BLIND FAITH BELIEVERS
WHO REFUSE TO CRITICALLY THINK FOR THEMSELVES
DESERVE WHATEVER THE UFO ALIENS
HAVE IN STORE FOR THEM!!!

Anaxagoras

Re: Itires

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 pm

My mother is a true believer in homeopathy.

I've tried. Usually I'm the one who ends up angry and frustrated because she is so dismissive.

So I gave up.

She has never really had any particular health issues in her life as far as I know.

When I was a kid she took me to a chiropractor a lot too.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed May 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Her dismissiveness is because she believes that she's privy to some kind of higher knowledge that us normals can't understand.

Total new ager. Uses a pendulum, has "readings" done (astrology). She's even had her guru do readings for me. Absolute nonsense about how I have some sort of important destiny to be a leader.

And she is convinced that she is smarter or wiser than skeptics like me, so if I say something she just smiles and gives me a look like she feels sorry for me because I can't understand.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 28, 2014 11:53 pm

If the cause of her problem is liver dysfunction methinks the 30% alcohol would not prove helpful.

To answer your other question, more people than you can imagine. This includes the belief you can--let alone should--"release dural adhesions."

That being written always keep empathy for the desperation. If it is you . . . would you not want "a miracle?"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am

Depends on the seriousness of the ailment. You don't want homeopathy to preclude a real, necessary treatment.

But for mild cases I say nothing: very often, for believers, the placebo effect works very nicely. E. g. a guy once told me that he was taking some homeopathic preparation to "sleep better" and that is was "so potent" that he only could take half of the granule, or pill. :lol:
So OK, it works for him, you can only smile, and it's better than getting hooked on *** [insert brand here].

But then I don't have that much "loved ones", and they are not of the woolly thinking kind…

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 am

Itires? Not on MY car. MY car has windows.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 am

Witness wrote:Depends on the seriousness of the ailment. You don't want homeopathy to preclude a real, necessary treatment.

But for mild cases I say nothing: very often, for believers, the placebo effect works very nicely. E. g. a guy once told me that he was taking some homeopathic preparation to "sleep better" and that is was "so potent" that he only could take half of the granule, or pill. :lol:
So OK, it works for him, you can only smile, and it's better than getting hooked on *** [insert brand here].

But then I don't have that much "loved ones", and they are not of the woolly thinking kind…

That's a big problem with homeopathy, right there. People use it for complaints which get better all by themselves, are psychosomatic or aren't really complaints at all, and are then convinced that it works; "Hey I took homeopathy pills and my cold got better! I'm not worried about cancer now!"

:roll:
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 am

Desperate people are drawn to scams, masochist are drawn to sadists, moths are drawn to light.

What ya gonna do?

:(
Such potential!

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”