The Official Ebola Thread

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
shemp
Title: gnat

Re: The Official Ebola Thread

Post by shemp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Christie should be quarantined for being a dumbfuckery-spreading blimp.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 pm

She could have had Double-Secret Ebola!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

shemp

Post by shemp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Quarantined nurse to CNN: 'My basic human rights' are being violated

She is being held as a political prisoner by that brainless fat fuck Christie.
(CNN) -- Kaci Hickox, a nurse placed under mandatory quarantine in New Jersey, went on CNN on Sunday and criticized the "knee-jerk reaction by politicians" to Ebola, saying "to quarantine someone without a better plan in place, without more forethought, is just preposterous."

Hickox, an epidemiologist who was working to help treat Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has tested negative twice for Ebola and does not have symptoms, she said.

"This is an extreme that is really unacceptable, and I feel like my basic human rights have been violated," Hickox told CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union."
She slammed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for describing her as "obviously ill."

"I'm sorry, but that's just a completely unacceptable statement in my opinion. For him -- a politician who's trusted and respected -- to make a statement that's categorically not true is just unacceptable and appalling," Hickox told Elizabeth Cohen, CNN's senior medical correspondent, in a separate interview.
At a news conference Saturday, the governor said, "I'm sorry if in any way she was inconvenienced, but inconvenience that could occur from having folks that are symptomatic and ill out amongst the public is a much, much greater concern of mine. I hope she recovers quickly."

Hickox said she has nothing to recover from. Her temperature is normal, and she feels fine.
"Everyone keeps asking how I'm feeling physically and of course I'm fine physically, but I don't think most people understand what it's like to be alone in a tent and decisions are being made that don't make sense and show no compassion," Hickox said, starting to cry.

"I just feel like fear is winning right now, and when fear wins, everyone loses."

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

shemp

Post by shemp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Doctor X wrote:She could have had Double-Secret Ebola!

--J.D.
Which is trumped by Christie's Triple-Not-Secret Stupid!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:52 pm

They kept her from her lawyer.
- new minimalist ethos -

shemp

Post by shemp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:06 pm

ed wrote:They kept her from her lawyer.
They'll have to pry my lawyer from my cold, dead hands!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Sounds like politicians are handling Ebola the same way they handle everything else: public gestures whose sole purpose is to give the appearance of "doing something" while in reality doing jack shit.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Sounds like politicians are handling Ebola the same way they handle everything else: public gestures whose sole purpose is to give the appearance of "doing something" while in reality doing jack shit.
Or something more sinister in this case.

You know. Never let a crisis go to waste.

So first there must be a crisis (or the appearance of a crisis).
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:19 pm

For that one wouldn't there have to be something to gain?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm

gnome wrote:For that one wouldn't there have to be something to gain?
It works like this:

Every problem from climate change to childhood obesity is a "crisis" and is therefore an open ended warrant to extend government power.

Power is an end in itself or a way to help your friends (and self) get money.

If you can't help your friends, who can you help?

That's why I don't buy the idea that Obama really wants to spread ebola, but he just might blunder into that outcome while manufacturing a notional crisis.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 pm

I guess I feel like enough fucked up shit happens that you don't have to manufacture it. Or even fuck it up on purpose. It'll just happen whether you want it to or not.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:52 am

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... e_win.html

Debate about whether mandatory quarantines for returning health workers are a good precaution.

I'm not going to attempt a synopsis.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm

gnome wrote:I guess I feel like enough fucked up shit happens that you don't have to manufacture it. Or even fuck it up on purpose. It'll just happen whether you want it to or not.
One way or the other, spin every problem (real or imagined) as a crisis and above all
"Never Let a CrisisTM Go to Waste".

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Opportunists will take opportunity. Something I didn't know?
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Chicago style corruption is a whole 'nother magnitude.

And now it's gone national.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

The Lancet article on asymptomatic Ebola infection

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... 0/fulltext

Plus a thought-provoking graph:

http://download.thelancet.com/images/jo ... r1.lrg.jpg

Not embedding it. Journals such as The Lancet have no sense of humor when it comes to kyoppenrecht violations.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:50 pm

13,703 cases
4920 deaths

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Local idiot:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... nte_1.html
A Cleveland man briefly quarantined in MetroHealth Medical Center Sunday after he told emergency crews he thought he had Ebola is not at risk of carrying the disease, a city official said.

The man called 9-1-1 about 12:05 p.m. Sunday from a West Side house, Cleveland city spokesman Dan Williams said.

Cleveland firefighters arrived first, but the man "mentioned Africa and Ebola," Williams said, so the firefighters left and called in paramedics, who launched their full Ebola response protocol as a precaution, Williams said.

Paramedics donned full protective gear and took the man to MetroHealth, where medical officials interrogated him to determine if he was at risk of contracting the disease. After a few hours and not being able to get a straight answer, doctors determined the man was not at risk of carrying the virus, Williams said.

Williams also said the man was treated and released for an unrelated illness at MetroHealth Saturday night, and doctors told officials Sunday he showed no symptoms of the virus during the previous night's visit.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:53 pm

It's going to be a fun flu season.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:05 am

Since election day is tomorrow, there may be a political aspect here:

NBC/WSJ Poll: 71% Back Mandatory Quarantines for Ebola Health Workers

Support is strongest among Republicans and Tea Party supporters but about two-thirds of Democrats also favor quarantines.
William Shakespeare