The new Andrew Wakefield

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
SkepticalSemite

The new Andrew Wakefield

Postby SkepticalSemite » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 pm

It was inevitable that a plethora of articles on this person would pop up on my Facebook feed;
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/did ... ican-boys/

Dubious study? *Check.*
Bias? *Check.*
Outright sensationalism? *Check... *

It begins...

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The new Andrew Wakefield

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 pm

So now the anti-vaxxers are trying to co-opt Black Rage TM?

Well why not? It works for all those other folks using blacks as ideological human shields, right? :|
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

SkepticalSemite

Postby SkepticalSemite » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So now the anti-vaxxers are trying to co-opt Black Rage TM?

Well why not? It works for all those other folks using blacks as ideological human shields, right? :|

Them vaccines man, racist motherf-----s. :x

Fortunately Snopes is also skeptical of this story;
http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/c ... blower.asp
I have not read much into it, but I'm still looking...this story popped up a couple days ago but I only saw it on my feed a few hours ago...

Stay skeptical, spread the message around, because this is getting out of hand. These types of conspiracies are dangerous. ._.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 am

"Let Us Review the Catechism!"

Results: For 2010, the overall prevalence of ASD among the ADDM sites was 14.7 per 1,000 (one in 68) children aged 8 years. Overall ASD prevalence estimates varied among sites from 5.7 to 21.9 per 1,000 children aged 8 years. ASD prevalence estimates also varied by sex and racial/ethnic group. Approximately one in 42 boys and one in 189 girls

living in the ADDM Network communities were identified as having ASD. Non-Hispanic white children were approximately 30% more likely to be identified with ASD than non-Hispanic black children

Image No justice! No peace!

and were almost 50% more likely to be identified with ASD than Hispanic children.

La Raza!!!111!!

Linkypoo

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:55 am

The first one-way manned flight to Mars will need doctors. I nominate Drs. Wakefield and Hooker.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

SkepticalSemite

Postby SkepticalSemite » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Pyrrho wrote:http://www.morganverkamp.com/august-27-2014-press-release-statement-of-william-w-thompson-ph-d-regarding-the-2004-article-examining-the-possibility-of-a-relationship-between-mmr-vaccine-and-autism/

***In response to the article and the author***
That is a ten year old article....hmmm...

While certain pathologies are distinct between races (sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs, for example) I don't believe that African American children have significantly different immune systems to the extent that being introduced to a killed germ would cause damage to the brain or a re-configuration of DNA responsible for neural development. If that were the case then autism would be rampant whenever there was an outbreak of croup or mumps as both of those diseases arise from live germs which have the capacity for damaging tissue.

Correlation does not imply causation.

It would also be very difficult for the CDC to omit all studies showing a link between vaccines and autism as there are dozens, if not hundreds of third-party medical agencies responsible for the studies which have failed to establish a link between vaccines and autism/ ASD..

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm

SkepticalSemite wrote:While certain pathologies are distinct between races (sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs, for example)

To be precise, the pathologies in those two are not distinct; they are genetic disorders that arose in particular populations. If a white person had the same homozygous substitution in the case of Sickle Cell Anemia, he would suffer the same pathological sequellae.

I don't believe that African American children have significantly different immune systems to the extent that being introduced to a killed germ would cause damage to the brain or a re-configuration of DNA responsible for neural development.

Unfortunately, I am unable to conduct a responsible literature search at this time to see if there are significant differences between races. I would particularly be interested in what appear to be autoimmune or at least immune-mediated conditions such as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and other post infection and even vaccination conditions. With regards to the latter, as you probably know, the incidence, morbidity, and mortality from the childhood diseases vaccinated for are far higher than those conditions.

More to point, as the statistics show, the various conditions called "autism" occur more frequently in white males.

I blame Obama. . . .

--J.D.

P.S.
The incidence of SSPE declined by at least 90 percent in countries that have practiced widespread immunization with measles vaccine. The incidence of SSPE is still high in developing countries such as India and Eastern Europe. There is a higher incidence among males than females (male/female: 3/1). Most youngsters with SSPE have a history of measles infection at an early age, usually younger than 2 years, followed by a latent period of 6 to 8 years before neurological symptoms begin.

Subacute Schlerosing Panencephalitis

another FAIL for the anti-vaccinators.

Why do they hate the Third World?
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

SkepticalSemite

Postby SkepticalSemite » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:39 am

@Dr. X

Conditions relating to the immune system (autoimmune) could be more prelevant, which in some instances can result in inflammation such as encephalitis, possibly leading to neural damage in severe cases, but a faulty immune response is *unrelated to the vaccine itself.* The ingredients in the vaccine do not directly attack tissues. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Encephalit ... auses.aspx

People who oppose vaccination refuse to understand this..
It's almost psychotic..
They would rather risk their kid dying from tetanus, measles, etc, than a one in a million instance of an adverse effect, usually an allergic reaction yet these nutcases happily feed their children eggs, nuts and milk daily.

A guy was once left paralyzed after contracting a simple common cold (Guillain-Barré syndrome); the immune system is not perfect and does not discriminate between a 'killed' bug or a 'live' one. Again they choose to ignore this.

Perhaps if we ignore it it will go away, but with the advent of the internet that is pretty much impossible. :(
It has to be right before flu season, doesn't it? *sigh*

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 pm

SkepticalSemite wrote:Conditions relating to the immune system (autoimmune) could be more prelevant, which in some instances can result in inflammation such as encephalitis, possibly leading to neural damage in severe cases, but a faulty immune response is *unrelated to the vaccine itself.*

I am unaware where I indicated otherwise. Indeed:

His Humble MagNIfIcence wrote:I would particularly be interested in what appear to be autoimmune or at least immune-mediated conditions such as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and other post infection and even vaccination conditions. With regards to the latter, as you probably know, the incidence, morbidity, and mortality from the childhood diseases vaccinated for are far higher than those conditions.

Nevertheless, what we contend with are with those who do not understand the basic biochemistry and physiology of the human body. It is like arguing physics with them without any understanding of math. They live in a bubble where they feel what they believe is relevant to what is. As you suggest, the response is designed more for those who simply do not know but may be persuaded by charlatans such as these telling them what they want to hear.

--J.D.

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Postby robinson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:26 am

SkepticalSemite wrote:Conditions relating to the immune system (autoimmune) could be more prelevant, which in some instances can result in inflammation such as encephalitis, possibly leading to neural damage in severe cases, but a faulty immune response is *unrelated to the vaccine itself.*

That's some fancy doublespeak right there.
You never know what's going to happen

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”