9 People Infected With Measles

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

9 People Infected With Measles

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 pm

ANAHEIM (CBSLA.com) — At least nine people have contracted measles after visiting Disneyland parks in Orange County over the holidays, the state Department of Public Health said Wednesday.

The local infected patients, who were from Alameda, Orange, Pasadena, Riverside and San Diego, range in age from 8 months to 21 years old. Just one of the infected individuals had been fully vaccinated.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/ ... isneyland/

Sad state of affairs.

It very much sucks to be them ... or to have their parents.

Anaxagoras

Re: 9 People Infected With Measles

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm

But measles are fun, Rob. Just like going to Disneyland. See:

And if you are extra lucky those marvelous measles can lead to:

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 pm

This is a painful thing to read.

http://www.bartbarrett.com/home/one-dea ... VXDjK9KnM=

more death from Measles.

It's back.

I'm probably okay. I had regular vaccines (the corpsman gauntlet) against any and everything--Measles included--roughly 16 years ago just before my last navy deployment. Maybe it is time for to re-immunize. I will encourage my wife and boys to do the same. A second set of shots only smarts a while.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:53 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 pm

By ALICIA CHANG

(AP) This Nov. 20, 2009 photo shows Sleeping Beauty's Castle in winter dress with...
Full Image

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A measles outbreak traced to Disney theme parks in California led to warnings against visiting the happiest place on Earth if tourists or their children have not been vaccinated against the highly contagious respiratory disease that has sickened 70 people.

New infections linked to the theme parks emerged Wednesday in the outbreak that has spread to five U.S. states and Mexico, though the vast majority — 62 — occurred in California.

People who have not received the measles-mumps-rubella, or MMR, vaccine are susceptible to contracting the highly contagious illness and should avoid Disney "for the time being," state epidemiologist Gil Chavez said.

The same holds true for crowded places with a high concentration of international travelers, such as airports, Chavez said. People who are vaccinated don't need to take such precautions, he said.

Disneyland Resorts spokeswoman Suzi Brown said officials agreed with the advice that "it's absolutely safe to visit if you're vaccinated."

The people who have been infected range in age from 7 months to 70 years old. The vast majority had not been vaccinated, and a quarter had to be hospitalized.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/2015012 ... 0c0ac.html

Darwin for the win.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:08 am

I wonder if the 70-year-old had been vaccinated but it wore off.

Is there any standing recommendation for middle-aged people to get revaccinated for childhood diseases like measles?
Other than for the flu, I think the last time I got those vaccines was in the Navy, probably over 20 years ago.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:55 pm

I found this.

How long does protection from MMR last?

It seems to be very long lasting.

Virtually everyone (more than 99%) will be protected against measles and rubella for more than 20 years after two doses of MMR.

Protection against mumps after two doses of MMR is a little lower (90-95%) and appears to gradually decline. Mumps in vaccinated people is, however, much less likely to lead to complications such as meningitis or orchitis (painful swelling of the testes) and vaccinated people are less likely to require admission to hospital.

The CDC says adults at greater risk of measles or mumps should get two doses of MMR vaccine, the second one 4 weeks after the first. This includes adults who:

Have been exposed to measles or mumps or live in an area where an outbreak has happened
Are students in colleges or trade schools
Travel internationally
Work in health care

For measles, the CDC advises a second dose for adults who:

Were previously given a vaccine made with "killed" measles (instead of the live-type of vaccine used today)
Were given an MMR vaccine between 1963 and 1967, but there's no record of what type.

and this.

Looks like you're safe.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks, AC! :)
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 am

Unfortunately not all of the victims are people who failed to get vaccinated or the children of parents who failed to vaccinate them. Some were simply too young to be vaccinated. Babies less than 12 months rely on herd immunity to protect them.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/23/7877321/me ... disneyland

Six of the cases were in infants too young to have been vaccinated.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 am

I Don’t Vaccinate My Child Because It’s My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one’s business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can’t tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

The decision to cause a full-blown, multi-state pandemic of a virus that was effectively eliminated from the national population generations ago is my choice alone, and regardless of your personal convictions, that right should never be taken away from a child’s parent. Never.

Say what you will about me, but I’ve read the information out there and weighed every option, so I am confident in my choice to revive a debilitating illness that was long ago declared dead and let it spread like wildfire from school to school, town to town, and state to state, until it reaches every corner of the country. Leaving such a momentous decision to someone you haven’t even met and who doesn’t care about your child personally—now that’s absurd! Maybe I choose to bring back the mumps. Or maybe it’s diphtheria. Or maybe it’s some other potentially fatal disease that can easily pass among those too young or too medically unfit to be vaccinated themselves. But whichever highly communicable and formerly wiped-out disease that I opt to resurrect with a vengeance, it is a highly personal decision that only I and my family have the liberty to make.

The bottom line is that I’m this child’s mother, and I know what’s best. End of story. Politicians, pharmaceutical companies—they don’t know the specific circumstances that made me decide to breathe new life into a viral infection that scientists and the nation at large celebrated stamping out roughly a century ago. It seems like all they care about is following unexamined old rules, injecting chemicals into our kids, preventing ghastly illnesses that used to ravage millions and have since been erased from storming back and wreaking mass havoc on a national scale, and making a buck. Should we really be listening to them and not our own hearts?

I am by no means telling mothers and fathers out there what to do; I’m simply standing up for every parent’s right to make his or her own decision. You may choose to follow the government-recommended immunization schedule for your child, and that’s your decision as a parent. And I might choose to unleash rubella on thousands upon thousands of helpless people, and that’s my decision as a parent.

It’s simple: You don’t tell me how to raise my kids to avoid reviving a horrific illness that hasn’t been seen on our shores since our grandparents were children, and I won’t tell you how to raise yours.

Look, I’ve done the research on these issues, I’ve read the statistics, and I’ve carefully considered the costs and benefits, and there’s simply no question in my mind that inciting a nationwide health emergency by unleashing a disease that can kill 20 percent or more of its victims is the right one for my child.

People need to respect that and move on.

:lol:
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:53 am

GorGor wins 2 Internets.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:11 am

Health officials recently announced that an outbreak of measles they believe originated in Disneyland last December has now spread to multiple states, and experts have linked the epidemic to the growing anti-vaccination movement among parents. Here is a timeline of the recent outbreak in California:

February 28, 1998: British physician Andrew Wakefield publishes the first in a long line of 0 scientific studies that link vaccines to autism

June 9, 2004: Mother of three Karen Myers tells new mom Ashley Wheeler about a “great new parenting blog”

April 5, 2011: Group of negligent parents decide to start calling themselves “anti-vaxxers”

September 7, 2011-2014: Anti-vaccination movement spreads to thousands of other parents through direct online contact

December 1, 2014:
    Herd immunity still holding up

December 15, 2014: Measles outbreak in Southern California reduces San Diego classroom to manageable size

January 10, 2015: Infected Beckwith family pushes through the pain for a second day at Disneyland because they spent 900 goddamn dollars for five two-day passes

January 11, 2015: CDC epidemiologists conduct victim surveys in some very weird California homes

January 18, 2015: Ben’s mom gives Jessa’s mom withering glance in preschool parking lot

January 26, 2015: CDC angrily changes answer to “Has measles been eliminated in the United States?” on FAQ page of website

January 27, 2015: Unvaccinated 9-year-old Hunter Warren still fine, so who’s to say who’s right?

August 12, 2020: 2015 outbreak starting to look really quaint

Measles Epidemic 2015

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:20 am

Autistic girl/woman/someone wins Internet. Apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/FreyasValkries ... =1&fref=nf

"Rawr, anti-vaxxers. Rawr."

Original post apparently here:

https://www.facebook.com/ThisWeekInPseu ... 2922537824

I dunno. Awesome if true.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.