'Superbug' was transmitted via endoscopes

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

'Superbug' was transmitted via endoscopes

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am

This is rather alarming because the hospital claims that they were cleaned following the manufacturer's instructions.

The other scary thing is just evolution itself. It seems inevitable that every time you come up with a new antibiotic, it's not going to work for very long because the bugs will just evolve resistance to whatever it is after a few decades.

Scopes Faulted for Hospital 'Superbug' Outbreak Were New, Cleaned Properly, Officials Say

A California hospital apologized today to patients who became infected with an antibiotic-resistant bug, and said it has identified the source of the infections: two contaminated endoscopes that were cleaned according to manufacturer instructions but retained the bug anyway.

Seven people have become infected with the drug-resistant "superbug" known as CRE at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center after undergoing endoscopy procedures, and CRE may have played a role in two of its patients' deaths, the hospital said Wednesday afternoon, adding that 179 people were exposed to the germ.

The scopes were new and had only been in use since June, said Dr. Zachary Rubin, medical director of clinical epidemiology and infection prevention at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

"There are several manufacturers for these scopes," said Dr. Benjamin Schwartz, deputy chief of the acute communicable disease control program, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. "Because of the complexity of these scopes, which is necessary for the life-saving procedures for these scopes, they are very, very difficult to clean. The manufacturer recommendations were followed by UCLA."

I guess you have to take that with a grain of salt though. The hospital may want to shift the blame to the manufacturer because somebody is going to be liable for this. But the more parts and gadgets they cram into these things, the more nooks and crannies there are for bugs to hide in. Modern endoscopes are a pretty amazing new technology though.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Re: 'Superbug' was transmitted via endoscopes

Postby Bruce » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 am

Like I said. Doomed.
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:53 am

Bruce wrote:Like I said. Doomed.

Yep. Doomed. And another superbug:
Resistant-malaria 'enormous threat'

Drug-resistant malaria has been detected at the Myanmar-India border and now poses an "enormous threat" to global health, scientists have said.

The ability of the malaria parasite to shrug off the effects of artemisinin has been spreading since it emerged in South East Asia.

Tests, published in Lancet Infectious Diseases, now show this resistance on the verge of entering India.

Experts said the development was "alarming".

Deaths from malaria have nearly halved since 2000, and the infection now kills about 584,000 people each year.

But resistance to artemisinin threatens to undo all that hard work, and it has been detected in:

Cambodia
Laos
Thailand
Vietnam
Myanmar, also known as Burma

Blood samples from 940 people with malaria from 55 sites across Myanmar showed this resistance was widespread across the country.

Artemisinin is normally given as part of combination therapy.

Initially the other drug will pick up the slack to keep the combination effective, but Dr Woodrow says this resistance will "inevitably" lead to it failing.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 am

Malaria.

Apparently has killed half of all the people who have ever lived. Such a scourge it provided pressure for the development of sickle cell.

Some have raged that the banning of pesticides that worked have killed far more than we can imagine.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:37 am

So, malaria killed more people than smallpox or Black Death?
William Shakespeare

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:38 pm

About the OP: endoscopes, colonocopes, and the like come with giant single-use clear plastic covers, and between uses they're supposed to be immersed in a phisohex-soap-bleach-water mix before rinsing. The tale as released sounds like UCLA routinely fucked up.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Are all the intricate bits covered in all instances of use of these things?
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:So, malaria killed more people than smallpox or Black Death?

Apparently.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:36 am

Nasty little fucker(s), isn't it?
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:03 am

DrMatt wrote:About the OP: endoscopes, colonocopes, and the like come with giant single-use clear plastic covers, and between uses they're supposed to be immersed in a phisohex-soap-bleach-water mix before rinsing. The tale as released sounds like UCLA routinely fucked up.

I think it depends on the endoscope. Some of them have things like electric scalpels or blades to take a biopsy. They may have a channel through the inside through which a treatment instrument or instrument to take a biopsy can be inserted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/specialized ... infection/

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... ty-n309146

Just as a by the way, a rather large portion of the translations I check happen to be patent applications for new endoscope designs. Can't say more than that.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:04 pm

This just in. A new virus has been discovered in Kentucky.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dvbd/bourbon/index.html

Bourbon virus belongs to a group of viruses called thogotoviruses. Viruses in this group are found all over the world. A few of these viruses can cause people to get sick.

Oh shit.

How do I know if I have been infected with Bourbon virus?
Currently, no laboratory tests are routinely available to tell if a person is infected with Bourbon virus.

I could have Bourbon virus right now. :shock:

What is the treatment for Bourbon virus disease?
Because there is no medicine to treat Bourbon virus disease, doctors can only treat the symptoms. For example, some patients may need to be hospitalized and given intravenous fluids and treatment for pain and fever. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses, including Bourbon virus.

I am feeling a little warm. It might just be the Bourbon, or it might not. :o
Such potential!

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”