Failing McDonalds

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Failing McDonalds

Postby asthmatic camel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Nope, everywhere. A lot of the traditional English fish and chip shops have been taken over by the Indians and Chinese and become hybrids. They've also opened stacks of their own. I don't think there are many places in Britain where you can't find a decent Indian or Chinese. I should think curry is the nation's favourite takeaway meal.

Edited to add.

I was almost right. The Chinese are slightly ahead.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Isn't competition their greatest problem? I don't mind a McDonald's now and again but I'll only go if there's nowhere else open. It's all so fucking bland.

I enjoy a bacon-egg-cheese biscuit now and again. The burgers are nasty.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon May 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:In the old days, no one expected fast food work to be a career for a breadwinner. So no one expected a "living wage".

It's a mistake to talk about "blame".

If their business model no longer works, it's not a bad thing for the world if they go under.

They are (or were) a major US property owner, right behind the RC church if I recall correctly. If they go under that means more vacant real estate in areas that have supported cheap fast food, guess where that is.

Why do you hate poor minorities Abdul? :x
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm

ed wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:In the old days, no one expected fast food work to be a career for a breadwinner. So no one expected a "living wage".

It's a mistake to talk about "blame".

If their business model no longer works, it's not a bad thing for the world if they go under.

They are (or were) a major US property owner, right behind the RC church if I recall correctly. If they go under that means more vacant real estate in areas that have supported cheap fast food, guess where that is.

Why do you hate poor minorities Abdul? :x

The buildings would be bought by Mexican or Chinese restaurants. Or a rib joint. Better tasting food, same meager wages. No worries. The economic balance will remain in check.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Manchester's Curry Mile in Rusholme, where I used to work and Mrs. Camel still does is fantastic.

I was permanently hungry working there, it all smelled so scrumptious when they started brewing the curry up in the morning. :D

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:13 pm

McDonald's New Menu Item: 'Lettuce' Burger

This will save them.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:44 am

Are they trying to get twee?

That sort of thing can work, but not if you're McDonalds. It's not what their core customers want, and the people who might go in for that sort of thing want to buy it somewhere else, somewhere a bit more upscale.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:48 am

McDonald's in these parts is selling a lobster roll as a special.

I've tried an authentic lobster roll from a credible restaurant and wasn't that impressed.

It's like a wad of thick rubber bands on a slice of bread with a dollop of mayonnaise to make it even more of a challenge to chew without a rubber band chunk slipping down your windpipe.

What's next, McD? Caviar? Beef Wellington? Ratatouille?

Can I get a Mcetouffee Happy Meal?
Such potential!

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:27 am

Bruce, it's no fun eating crustaceans if you don't need tongs and a hammer.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 am

[youtube]WVF4EljPq0c[/youtube]

--J. "When My County Heard I was for the Union They Came After Me with Gelding Knives!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Rob Lister wrote:McDonald's New Menu Item: 'Lettuce' Burger

This will save them.

The bun looks a bit chewy. I don't need that much fiber.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Went to Chick-fil-a for breakfast this morning for the first time ever. Just as good as McD but the store was much cleaner, the food more tasty (they had sausage biscuits!) and the OJ was a commercial brand (Simply Orange). The service was actually polite and clueful and correct.

Minority staff and customers were well represented but I feel that perhaps they were Black like Condi Rice rather Black like Jessy Jackson. I didn't complain though. Management was of course properly and lightly pigmented and I could tell they'd earnestly and recently prayed.

They were at least twice, maybe thrice as busy as the McD's right beside it yet the service was immediate and the meal brought to our table within about two minutes.

I shall return there for breakfast again soon. Unless it is Sunday.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:51 pm

I've never been there myself, but I think I heard that they are beating the crap out of KFC. Another brand having a bit of a crisis not unlike McD's.

Can the new Colonel Sanders save KFC?

Kentucky Fried Chicken has undergone a period of decline over the past decade, slashing hundreds of its restaurants in the U.S. and losing ground to rivals.

Despite international expansion, the company has been forced to shut down more than 1,100 stores domestically between 2004 and 2014, and now faces stiff competition from the chicken chain Chik-fil-A.

"They’ve totally lost out to Chick-fil-A,” says Venessa Wong of Buzzfeed. “Chick-fil-A recently surpassed KFC in terms of sales, even though they have far fewer stores and they’re only open six days of the week."

Wong reports that KFC parent company Yum Brands is not giving up on the chain, however. Over the next few years, they will invest $185 million into reinvigorating KFC – starting with the stores and a new advertising campaign.

Chick-Fil-A apparently has 1850 locations whereas KFC has 4,370 in the USA (there's also lots of them in Japan and China, and other countries; there are now more KFCs in red China than in the USA!).

So if they have less than half as many stores in the USA, and they aren't even open one day a week, but they still sell more chicken in the US than KFC, there must be a reason for that.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:53 pm

Jesus!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Chicken!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:24 am

CHICKEN JESUS!!11!!!

The dangers of Search.

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:38 am

Doctor X wrote:
The dangers of Search.

--J.D.

Hey! I thought he/they were a threesome! Bloody lies again! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:53 am

Would you give a foot rub to a man?

--J. "I'm the Foot Fucking Master!" D.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm

McDonald's Is Testing Fresh Beef in Its Burgers
McDonald's says it's testing fresh beef at 14 restaurants in Dallas, but claims it's too early to say whether fresh beef could replace its frozen patties nationally, the AP reports. The company says the test is limited to its quarter pounder patties. "Like all of our tests, this one too is designed to see what works and what doesn't within our restaurants," a McDonald's spokesperson says. The test comes as McDonald's Corp. fights to turn around its business, which had suffered slumping sales until recently. The company has said it's looking at improving its core menu items.
http://www.newser.com/story/225029/mcdo ... rgers.html

Because the title is so Onion-esk, it is the epitome of irony.

According to their first quarter reports, it seems McD's all-day-breakfast actually profited them. I didn't (and still don't) think the idea has staying power. It is a novelty that will quickly fade.

I don't think 'fresh meat' has staying power either as it is unlikely to change the actual bland taste; they need to put the cholesterol back in. It isn't bland because it was frozen.
The service sucks, the restaurants are dirty, and the probability of getting cold fries and an hour-old burger approaches one.

Honestly, I'd short them if I had money to play with. They're still the biggest chain by a large margin but that just means they have farther to fall.

An interesting chart from some random place. This is old data from 2014.
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/reports/qsr ... es&dir=asc
You can sort on any column. Link sorts on Sales per Unit (franchise).

Chick Fil a was smoking all of them. Don't have newer data.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat May 14, 2016 8:13 am

Personally I always liked their breakfast menu better.

It can't hurt unless somehow it raises their costs.

I did see the fresh beef headline too, and mainly what it did is remind me that what they normally serve is not fresh.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”