Study confirms: you can't force kids to eat their vegetables

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

Study confirms: you can't force kids to eat their vegetables

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:18 am

Thanks Obama!

School lunch study: Visual proof kids are tossing mandated fruits and veggies in trash

Less than a month before Congress votes on whether to reauthorize a controversial program mandating healthier school lunches, a new study confirms the suspicions of school officials -- many students are putting the fruits and vegetables they're now required to take straight into the trash, consuming fewer than they did before the law took effect.

The new study, published online in Public Health Reports on Aug. 25, is the first to use digital imaging to capture students' lunch trays before and after they exited the lunch line.

It is also one of the first to compare fruit and vegetable consumption before and after the controversial legislation -- the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 -- was passed.

After passage of the legislation and the USDA mandates it put in place 2012, the study found that students put more fruits and vegetables on their trays, as required, but consumed fewer of them and increased waste by approximately 35 percent.

"The basic question we wanted to explore was: does requiring a child to select a fruit or vegetable actually correspond with consumption," says Sarah Amin, Ph.D., a researcher in Nutrition and Food Sciences at the University of Vermont and lead author on the study.

"The answer was clearly no," she said. "It was heartbreaking to see so many students toss fruits like apples into the trash right after exiting the lunch line."

So the bottom line result was that kids actually consumed fewer fruits and vegetables and food waste was increased by 35%.

I don't blame them for trying, but obviously they need to go back to the drawing board now.

Obvious answer:
They found that children preferred processed fruits and vegetables such as the tomato paste on pizza or 100 percent fruit juice rather than whole varieties.

You want kids to eat more fruits and vegetables, process the hell out of them. Everyone loves pizza and spaghetti, right? Fruit juice too. Or take a page from the fast-food industry: Everyone likes sub sandwiches, right? I know I do. They've got all the food groups right there, meat, dairy, veggies and bread, and they aren't too processed either. Make the school cafeteria more like Subway.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Study confirms: you can't force kids to eat their vegetables

Postby Doctor X » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:32 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Make the school cafeteria more like Subway.

--J. "They Went to Jared" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:56 am

IIRC, back in the alleged good old days school lunches were said to be nutritious and were not palatable. :oldman:

So the only change from back then is that it's now a federal responsibility somehow. Because everything is.

Thanks Obama (I mean her not him). :cowbell:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks, Reagan, for selling ketchup as a vegetable...
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 pm

DrMatt wrote:Thanks, Reagan, for selling ketchup as a vegetable...

That was just some Good Soldier Schweik in Reagan's Ag Department.

But Jesse Helms really was personally responsible for classifying chewing tobacco as a vegetable. :wink:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”