Politics + Woo = Alt Med

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Nyarlathotep

Politics + Woo = Alt Med

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:12 am

The Alternative Medicine Racket: How the Feds Fund Quacks

Pretty much what it says on the tin. An interesting little article on how (mostly thanks to Tom Harkin) the NIH began investing heavily in woo medical treatment.

There is a video attached to the article, about 15 minutes long. Worth a watch but if you don't watch any of the rest of it, at least skip to the 12:48 mark and watch Tom Harkin totally fail to get the way science is supposed to work.
All Hail The Crimson King

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Re: Politics + Woo = Alt Med

Postby hammegk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:The Alternative Medicine Racket: How the Feds Fund Quacks

Pretty much what it says on the tin. An interesting little article on how (mostly thanks to Tom Harkin) the NIH began investing heavily in woo medical treatment.

There is a video attached to the article, about 15 minutes long. Worth a watch but if you don't watch any of the rest of it, at least skip to the 12:48 mark and watch Tom Harkin totally fail to get the way science is supposed to work.
Why would anyone care if T Harkin is a dumb shit?

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Because the particular strain of dumbshittery he demonstrates in the clip is pretty much the template for lots of dumbshittery from people both higher and lower up the political food chain than Tom Harkin
All Hail The Crimson King

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:40 am

Er:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43172
Just sayin'!

Nyarlathotep wrote:The Alternative Medicine Racket: How the Feds Fund Quacks

Yeah, that was a triple facepalm moment.
I watched this the other day. He said something like "you guys were supposed to validate these methods, not disprove them! Waaaaah!!!"
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:14 am

They really brought the woos out in force. I made a comment on the youtube video and now I keep getting email every time someone else responds to the video so I've sort of been following the comment thread over there.

A sample:

Initiate 6 hours ago (edited)
Ironic that this is a 'Libertarian' channel and you are going by what the NIH (a government arm with an agenda) investigated into a private industry that people can voluntarily buy into. If it doesn't work, so what? They will go out of business eventually by their customers leaving unsatisfied and uncured. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to buy into their alternative treatment system. Most insurance companies still don't cover all or most of Homeopathic or Naturopathic treatments. And the reason they are seeking alternative methods, in many cases, is because the traditional methods were inadequate. A woman I knew of had seen different types of doctors for years including psychiatrists and it was only when she saw a Homeopathic doctor, that he was able to find out that she had dangerously high levels of Aluminum in her brain. Something that none of the other doctors were able to find.

The Homeopath found dangerous levels of aluminum in her brain (and no doubt had the pills to cure it too) when no other doctor could find it. YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT SKEPTICS!!!!

Another one wrote:
+ReasonTV Ever heard of Max Gerson you pharma shill shitwad?

To which I replied:
Never heard of him myself so I googled it.
Here is what Wikipedia says:

"Max Gerson (October 18, 1881 – March 8, 1959) was a German-born American physician who developed the Gerson Therapy, a dietary-based alternative cancer treatment that he claimed could cure cancer and most chronic, degenerative diseases.

Gerson described his approach in the book A Cancer Therapy: Results of 50 Cases. The National Cancer Institute evaluated Gerson's claims and concluded that his data showed no benefit from his treatment.[1] The therapy is both ineffective and dangerous.[2][3]"

The answer:
Yeah because the national cancer institute who is funded by cigarette companies is going to tell the truth and a healthy organic diet is "dangerous", don't be a fucking lemming all of your life. Wikipedia is study for retards.

William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Ask the dumb ass how the quack "found dangerous levels of aluminum" in someone's brain. Does he do stereotactic biopsies?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:42 pm

OK, I asked. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:54 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”