Old but Interesting Article on HIV/AIDS Denialism

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Old but Interesting Article on HIV/AIDS Denialism

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:41 am

The whole "HIV does not cause t3h A1Dz!111" is rather "old hat" for me. I recall when Duesberg first vomited his Tinkerbellesque attempts to claim AIDS--which was then still recognized as a syndrome rather than as it is now popularly considered to be infection with HIV--was the result of IV drug use, and "t3h gh3y."

There was always that prejudice behind it.

As a Humble--but MagNIfIcent--poster has noted previously in a completely kopjiwreichted fashion, science is a "process, not an attribute." Duesberg was a respected virologist. He just knew shit about HIV and AIDS nor had any interest in knowing about it since it conflicted with his personal prejudice.

The whole point of Skepticism is, really, questioning claims and asking for evidence for them. It really is nothing more than using a scientific method and critical thinking. However, for most of "us," skepticism involved dealing with issues beyond "normal science"--such as claims about ghosts, ESP, Huston having a quarter back, et cetera. SCIENCE [!--Ed.] has rightfully received criticism over the years for not paying attention to what οἱ πολλοί [Stop that!--Ed.] The Great Unwashed [Tm.--Ed.] have come to believe.

In a gesture similar to Nature's publication of a paper by BativistiasitiaswhateverthefuckistheHomeopathFAILDeckurt Science published a rant by Duesberg with the warning, very sincere and stern, that they would savage him in response. This Faucci did.

Of course, Duesberg points to his "publication in Science" and ignored and ignores its dismemberment. I could just as easily post a comment to the New York Daily Mail Post claiming the Red Sox beat the MFYs in 1978 and won the Stanley Cup . . . then claim its publication as "evidences"--thanks!--for "The Truth!"

So HIV/AIDS denialism is "old hat" for me. "Old" as in, older than what Grauballe Man wore.

Unfortunately, this is not all "silly buggers." I recall one stringent AIDS denialist who was a very open gay man who was also virulently anti-Semitic, anti-science, and basically blamed the victims. He was Tinkerbell-level stupidity, but because he was gay, and open--and called himself an "activist"--he would occasionally get attention . . . until people did their research and saw what he tried to smear on a synagogue.

Fine. A Doris Dumbass-Level FAIL.

Unfortunately, much as Anti-Vaxxers have led to preventable deaths, so has HIV/AIDS denialism.

So I wander'd upon this interesting article after [Avoiding work.--Ed.] reviewing a few Popehat posts:
Richard Jefferys has been an AIDS activist for many years. He works for the Treatment Action Group in New York and has written extensively on the science of HIV and the immune system. Much of his time is devoted to educating people about the science of HIV treatment.

In 2008, an obscure US group named the Semmelweis Society decided to give an award to AIDS denialists Celia Farber and Peter Duesberg, and attempted to include them in a conference about whistleblowers in Washington DC in which several US Congress members were participating. Farber announced this development on page six of the New York Post on 25 April. After reading this article online, Richard sent a comment using the feedback form on the whistleblower conference website in which he wrote that Farber and Duesberg "are not whistleblowers, they are simply liars who for many years have used fraud to argue for Duesberg's long-discredited theory that drug use and malnutrition –not HIV– cause AIDS."

The case was dismissed in November. Here is our interview with Richard.

QuackDown
Those of you who know who Semmelwies was will appreciate the disgusting irony. Might as well name a branch of the KKK "The MLK Society."

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Re: Old but Interesting Article on HIV/AIDS Denialism

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:41 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:50 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Back in the 80s I was part of a team reporting on the AIDS/HIV disaster, there were all kinds of apocalyptic predictions, including the myth that heterosexuals would see HIV spread like a VD. Later we would hear it came from sex with monkeys by Africans, gays spread it by crazy sex, and of course "AIDS will kill 600 million people", or whatever number somebody made up at the time.

The idea that something else was the cause was a minor element in a field ripe with bad information, made up shit, and denial the likes of few had ever witnessed.
You never know what's going to happen

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 pm

One myth was especially hideous, that somehow normal white makes would become part of the epidemic. That group doesn't even show up in statistics anymore.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html
You never know what's going to happen