Outlaw Human Cloning Before Too Late

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 pm

National Review

The head of a Chinese company that mass manufactures cloned animals claims that he could do it with humans

Human Cloning is to create life to serve our purposes, intended to have a predetermined genetic makeup using a manufacturing process, complete with quality control, such as CRISPR, the genetic engineering technique.

It is also to create human life as an experiment, to be manipulated and discarded as methods are perfected for various utilitarian uses, whether research, organ farming, or made-to-order babies.

While I don't share the author's religious outlook, I still do not think massive cloning of human beings would be a good thing.

But what gets me is his simple faith that outlawing it would stop it. Aren't conservatives supposed to know better?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Outlaw Human Cloning Before Too Late

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Meh. The article is a mixed bag. The article opinion piece conflates design with cloning with a few other things.

I'll all for intelligent design of humans. When I watched Gattaca, I was rooting more for the government.

Cloning: sure, go ahead, but once the kid is born it is a human just like all the others. It isn't property. Now, maybe you can mix design with cloning and make something that can't be considered a legal person. It is a waste of time to debate that without knowing the specifics.

Unlike Abdul, I think laws against such experimentation and tampering would go pretty far in stemming the majority of research.

But ... if I had billions, I might consider commissioning a clone. I'm sure I can make a future use that liver. I think the trick is not to make friends with it. Avoid giving it a name..

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 am

Lintilla
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:23 am

Think about the irony: At the very time some complain that there are too many people suffocating the planet and causing climate change, when countless children who have no parents are desperate for a home, we also seriously entertain new and increasingly novel methods of procreating or replicating–for the very rich and privileged, at least.

If we don’t want that to happen, we have to stop research into human cloning techniques and focus our energies into ethical biotechnological research.

Or, we can float on the waves and allow “the scientists” to decide. Because that is certainly our current course.

Seems very hard to distinguish between "human cloning techniques" and other kinds of "biotechnological research" with potential ethical applications. Also, once we are able to successfully clone animals, really there is no reason I can see why the same technology would not also work just as well for humans.

Of course there probably should be some laws regulating what is allowed, but I basically agree with Rob.
If some madman or crazy cult decides to create thousands of clones for ed-knows-what purpose, I think I would be opposed to that. OTOH, so-called "designer babies" don't necessarily seem like a bad thing to me. If humans can be improved (without making them all into cookie-cutter clones) such as in Gattaca, I think that has its upsides. The upsides may outweigh the downsides.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Meh. The article is a mixed bag. The article opinion piece conflates design with cloning with a few other things.

I'll all for intelligent design of humans. When I watched Gattaca, I was rooting more for the government.

Cloning: sure, go ahead, but once the kid is born it is a human just like all the others. It isn't property. Now, maybe you can mix design with cloning and make something that can't be considered a legal person. It is a waste of time to debate that without knowing the specifics.

Unlike Abdul, I think laws against such experimentation and tampering would go pretty far in stemming the majority of research.

But ... if I had billions, I might consider commissioning a clone. I'm sure I can make a future use that liver. I think the trick is not to make friends with it. Avoid giving it a name..

Spare Parts!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:43 pm

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”