End of Pain

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

End of Pain

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:04 am

Revealing the Secret to a Pain Free Life
People born with a rare genetic mutation are unable to feel pain, but previous attempts to recreate this effect with drugs have had surprisingly little success. Using mice modified to carry the same mutation, UCL researchers funded by the MRC and Wellcome Trust have now discovered the recipe for painlessness.
http://neurosciencenews.com/nav17-genet ... ence-3216/

An article worthy of the read. I knew that such people existed because I saw it on an episode of House. :)

What I didn't know was that such people are not otherwise numb; they can feel touch just fine. They just don't have 'pain' channels.

So they found this lady having said mutation and gave her a naloxone-type drug and she felt pain for the first time in her life (other reports suggest she 'enjoyed' the experience). For those not in the know, naloxone is the stuff they give folks that OD on heroin. It instantly blocks the opioid effect and, bam! , instant withdrawals.

So, the nut of it is ...

“Used in combination with Nav1.7 blockers, the dose of opioid needed to prevent pain is very low,” explains Professor Wood. “People with non-functioning Nav1.7 produce low levels of opioids throughout their lives without developing tolerance or experiencing unpleasant side-effects. We hope to see our approach tested in human trials by 2017 and we can then start looking into drug combinations to help the millions of chronic pain patients around the world.”

So in a couple of years, perhaps we'll see an end to prescription opioids and maybe others can finally get some safe, long lasting, non-addictive relief.

Anaxagoras

Re: End of Pain

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 am

Hope so. I await further evidences though.

BTW, evolution gave us pain for a reason of course, and people with that mutation where they can't feel pain tend to have short lifespans and are prone to certain health problems because of it. So everything comes with a price. It may be well worth the price of course, but there will be some kind of downside.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:34 am

Whereas we can just make a tiny lesion and you will feel the same pain, understand it as pain, but just not be at all bothered by it.

--J. "The Trick is Not to Mind it!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 am

I used to work at a company that made controlled substances. Very tight security there, of course. Cameras on you at all times. Everything had to be locked in a safe at the end of the day.....except Naloxone.

Naloxone is an interesting drug. It's actually made from a modification of Oxymorphone, which is a pain killer and a controlled substance. Oxymorphone is made from Oripavine, which is a toxic opiate that is extracted from poppy seeds.

So, for a multi-step synthesis, I had to log in and log out, on a daily basis, every compound and related compound.....except for the final product. I still remember the joy I felt at getting to leave my work on the benchtop at the end of the day.

Security: HEY! You forgot to.....!
Bruce: Nope. Naloxone.
Security: Oh, nevermind.
Bruce: :P
Last edited by Bruce on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such potential!

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Bruce wrote:Naloxone is an interesting drug. It's actually made from a modification of Oxycodone, which is a pain killer and a controlled substance.

Ah ... How hard would it be to go in reverse back to Oxycodone.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Bruce wrote:Naloxone is an interesting drug. It's actually made from a modification of Oxycodone, which is a pain killer and a controlled substance.

Ah ... How hard would it be to go in reverse back to Oxycodone.

Oops. Typed Oxycodone when I meant to type Oxymorphone. My bad. Fixed it.

It's pretty difficult to go backwards from Naloxone back to Oxymorphone. It would be even more difficult to go from Naloxone to Oxycodone.

Take it easy there, Walter White. :P
Such potential!

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Hey, I'm just spitballin' here. I've got a Bunsen burner and a retort flask that are just taking up space in the closet.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:15 am

--hidden mouse-over text--
Seriously considering buying some illegal drugs to turn them back into cold medicine.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Awesome!!!11!

Competent chemists(tm) will be needed in the 24th century after the hairless mutants take possession of Earth.

(But remember, chemistry comes from Physics. Physics rules.)
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”