Robert De Niro Defends Screening of Anti-Vaccine Film at Tribeca Festival

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Robert De Niro Defends Screening of Anti-Vaccine Film at Tribeca Festival

Postby ed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:28 am

In a decision that has dredged up the widely debunked link between vaccines and autism, the Tribeca Film Festival plans to screen a film by a discredited former doctor whose research caused widespread alarm about the issue.

The film, “Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe,” is directed and co-written by Andrew Wakefield, an anti-vaccination activist and an author of a study — published in the British medical journal The Lancet, in 1998 — that was retracted in 2010. In addition to the retraction of the study, which involved 12 children, Britain’s General Medical Council, citing ethical violations and a failure to disclose financial conflicts of interest, revoked Mr. Wakefield’s medical license.

On the festival’s website, the biographical material about Mr. Wakefield does not mention that he was stripped of his license or that his Lancet study was retracted. Rather, it says that the Lancet study “would catapult Wakefield into becoming one of the most controversial figures in the history of medicine.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/26/healt ... v=top-news

DeNiro's kid is Autistic so he may not be thinking clearly. It seems to me that this issue relates directly to the de-platforming issue on college campus's. Some don't want the film shown because it promotes a dangerous line of thinking, dangerous to ALL of us. And it is different because they are simply WRONG and while you can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts.

etc etc. Sound familiar? But this is different.

n.b. I agree that this is different and I would not have given the film publicity.
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Robert De Niro Defends Screening of Anti-Vaccine Film at Tribeca Festival

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:26 am

Not the first utter crap to have been shown at a film festival, won't be the last.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 am

I tried not to read your post. I'm sorry you brought it here. I'm gonna try to forget it.

'Cause I generally like the flicks that De Niro is in and I want to keep liking them.

Thing is, if you want to enjoy your Hollywood entertainment you gotta avoid knowing the politics and activism of your favorite actors; you'll never get past it long enough to enjoy the feature. They're brain-dead, the whole lot of 'em. Clueless and blind to their own hypocrisy. They live in an inflated ego bubble that a bunker-buster bomb couldn't pierce. If there are exceptions, there are few.

ed

Postby ed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:45 am

DeNiro? Seriously?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Grandpa

Vile crap. I understand the concept of a payday but one that entails humiliating oneself ...

Dirty Grandpa represents the careless fumbling of a classic talent that once brought pleasure to millions.

Mark Kermode
Observer (UK) January 31, 2016
Steer away from Dirty Grandpa, just as you would sidestep a dog turd on the pavement.

Kevin Jagernauth
The Playlist January 23, 2016
A running gag in "Dirty Grandpa" involves Robert De Niro sticking his thumb in Zac Efron's butt. But to use that as a metaphor for watching this poor excuse for a comedy, would be to actually suggest there's any kind of spark.

Katherine Monk
Ex-Press.com January 22, 2016
...feels like something you'd find next to a used condom and a discarded can of Red Bull.
- new minimalist ethos -

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:05 pm

He has every right to show it.

The rest of us have every right to avoid the Tribeca Film Festival and DeNiro movies forever.
All Hail The Crimson King

ed

Postby ed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm

+1
- new minimalist ethos -

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Update

Robert De Niro Pulls Anti-Vaccination Documentary from Tribeca Film Festival

If he ever makes a good movie again, I might watch it after all.

ed

Postby ed » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 am

+1
- new minimalist ethos -

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:42 am

It's just a fucking movie.

If, on the other hand, he comes out and says vaccines cause a New York accent, then he becomes a Cunt.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:05 am

It's anti-vaccine propaganda put out by Andrew Wakefield, AKA the uber-cunt that got so many soccer moms convinced that vaccines were going to turn their special little snowflakes into drolling zombies. It is propaganda that has the capability to actually, literally get some kids killed because it convinced their mom that vaccines cause autism so their mom leaves them vulnerable to a deadly disease or get someone ELSE'S kid killed because that kid for some reason can't vaccinate (too young or has some sort of auto-immune disease) and catches something that can kill them from the sanctimommy's disease ridden crotch fruit.

I know lots of people (myself included) that refuse to watch Woody Allen or Roman Polanski movies because of the cuntish behavior of the film makers. Had DeNiro decided to willingly spread this propaganda piece, I think he would easily have deserved the same treatment.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:09 am

Pyrrho wrote:Not the first utter crap to have been shown at a film festival, won't be the last.

"Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding" never convinced a mom to leave her kid vulnerable to a deadly disease and/or make her kid a disease vector for others.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 am

Though kids not dying of vaccine preventable diseases would be a "Nice Thing" so maybe it's all Sparks' fault in the end.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:45 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:If he ever makes a good movie again, I might watch it after all.

To be fair to De Niro, he probably did not do the research we have done to some extent--due to My Humble MagNIfIc[Get on with it!--Ed.]--in having to have these debates. Unlike most, he listened to the science and reversed himself. To avoid this, he could have folded his arms, blathered "free speech," or even said he was just "willing to allow The Other Side a chance to respond." Then he would move on and few would care other than people like us.

Instead, it seems he admitted a mistake.

That should be cultivated.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

ed

Postby ed » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:16 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:It's anti-vaccine propaganda put out by Andrew Wakefield, AKA the uber-cunt that got so many soccer moms convinced that vaccines were going to turn their special little snowflakes into drolling zombies. It is propaganda that has the capability to actually, literally get some kids killed because it convinced their mom that vaccines cause autism so their mom leaves them vulnerable to a deadly disease or get someone ELSE'S kid killed because that kid for some reason can't vaccinate (too young or has some sort of auto-immune disease) and catches something that can kill them from the sanctimommy's disease ridden crotch fruit.

I agree completely.

That said, my purpose in starting this thread was to get precisely that sort of sentiment because, if you remove the science and add in it's place non-falsifiable assertions, you get the exact arguments of the SJW.
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:35 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Not the first utter crap to have been shown at a film festival, won't be the last.

"Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding" never convinced a mom to leave her kid vulnerable to a deadly disease and/or make her kid a disease vector for others.

Yup. Any minute now the rallying cry will be "TEH TRUTH THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE"
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

Yup. Any minute now the rallying cry will be "TEH TRUTH THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE"

Already started

There are many more with the same sentiment where that came from
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:01 pm

ed wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:It's anti-vaccine propaganda put out by Andrew Wakefield, AKA the uber-cunt that got so many soccer moms convinced that vaccines were going to turn their special little snowflakes into drolling zombies. It is propaganda that has the capability to actually, literally get some kids killed because it convinced their mom that vaccines cause autism so their mom leaves them vulnerable to a deadly disease or get someone ELSE'S kid killed because that kid for some reason can't vaccinate (too young or has some sort of auto-immune disease) and catches something that can kill them from the sanctimommy's disease ridden crotch fruit.

I agree completely.

That said, my purpose in starting this thread was to get precisely that sort of sentiment because, if you remove the science and add in it's place non-falsifiable assertions, you get the exact arguments of the SJW.

OK.

Not sure the point though, because that's basically saying "If things were different, they'd be different"

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:02 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:If he ever makes a good movie again, I might watch it after all.

To be fair to De Niro, he probably did not do the research we have done to some extent--due to My Humble MagNIfIc[Get on with it!--Ed.]--in having to have these debates. Unlike most, he listened to the science and reversed himself. To avoid this, he could have folded his arms, blathered "free speech," or even said he was just "willing to allow The Other Side a chance to respond." Then he would move on and few would care other than people like us.

Instead, it seems he admitted a mistake.

That should be cultivated.

--J.D.

True.

Sadly, its been a while since he made a movie I wanted to see. Regardless of his politics

no one in particular

Postby no one in particular » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Weeeeeeeell shit.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2016/ ... the-world/
Robert De Niro, who goes on about how vaccines are “dangerous” to certain people:

"Nobody seems to want to address that, or they say they’ve addressed it and it’s a closed issue, because there are many people who will come out and say, no, it changed overnight. I saw what happened, and I should have done something but I didn’t. So there’s more to this than meets the eye."

De Niro is asked if that’s been his experience, and De Niro responds:

"My wife says that, I don’t remember, my child is autistic and every kid is different. There’s something there. There’s something there that people aren’t addressing, and for me to get so upset here, today, on The Today Show, means there’s something there. All I wanted was for the movie to be seen, for people to make their own judgment, but you must see it. There are other films, also, just documents show, just simple things."

Does De Niro regret pulling the film? Yes. He says so. He even admits that he pulled it because he didn’t want the festival to be affected, bemoaning the “knee-jerk reaction.”
Killing me with humorous lines will not Clark Kent the egg salad. ~Skeptoid

It seems that our RIVER has run dry.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”