Shingles

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Shingles

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:46 pm

A friend of mine got shingles. His wife says it was so horrible that he tried to kill himself. There is a vaccine available but I don't know how effective it is. It is much hyped in the media. A little research tells me my chances are ~1 in 100. Further research tells me that if I get it it will be the worst thing I've every had. Further-further research tells me that if I have met my detuctable I can get vaccinated for ~$19 under my coverage. It is hard to justify not doing it but I do not know how effective the vaccine is.

shemp
Title: gnat

Re: Shingles

Postby shemp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Mrs. Shemp had it a few years ago. It was bad but not so bad that she wanted to die. Shingles is often brought on by stress. Large quantities of ethyl alcohol taken orally can prevent this.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:25 am

Wikipedia wrote:Shingles is due to a reactivation of varicella zoster virus (VZV) within a person's body. Chickenpox is due to an initial infection with VZV. Once chickenpox has resolved, the virus may remain inactive in nerve cells. Risk factors for reactivation include older age, poor immune function, and having had chickenpox before 18 months of age. How the virus remains in the body or subsequently re-activates, is not well understood. Exposure to the virus in the blisters can cause chickenpox in someone who has not had it before but will not trigger shingles.

My emphasis: beware, old farts (with weakening immune system) like me, if you have had chickenpox in your youth – you never really get rid of the virus (a form of herpes).

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm

So I looked into it. I found that tricare covers the vaccine for ages 60 and over. I'm not there yet. Specifically, they say ...

Shingles Vaccine
Shingles is a viral disease that affects more than 1 million
Americans every year. More than half of those cases occur in
people age 60 or older. TRICARE covers the shingles vaccine
for beneficiaries 60 and older.

In my head, I'm bean counting. Medical coverage for those getting shingles is going to be many, many times the cost of the vaccine. I could probably work out exactly how much just from that snip. But I digress.

I can probably go to one of the navy facilities and get one there regardless of the rule but it would be a pain to get an appointment. In fact I'll probably turn 60 before I can get an appointment.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:28 pm

I'll ask my doctor about it next time I see him.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:38 pm

That would be cool, Pyrrho. I could just pay out of pocket. Rite Aid is charging $190. Tricare would cover all but $19 of that once I get to age 60. By not getting it, I'm betting $170 that I won't get it in the next 4 years. I really don't need to do the math here because the insurance company did it for me; it is a worthwhile risk. Unless I lose. Of course. Personal math is hard

Last edited by Rob Lister on Sun Jun 19, 2036 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:36 am

Pyrrho wrote:I'll ask my doctor about it next time I see him.

Mine advised me to check with my secondary insurer, Medicare first.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:51 am

Your oozing sores are HSV-2, Tink.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:54 am

Shingles belong on the roof, just like Ham and X belong on ignore. :wink:
Such potential!

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Postby Ben Trovado » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:48 pm

I had a break out in college when I moved away from home and was disowned by my Mom for a while.

I was renting a room from a friend's family, and the mom was a nurse.

Keep in mind, I was 19: "Oh, that's shingles. It's caused by stress. . . . It can kill you."

Well thanks ever so much. That helped with the 'ol stress levels. But I actually stopped obsessively worrying about being disowned and after a couple weeks it went back away. Mine was on the stomach area, so not as worrisome as if it appears at the neck/head. That can get dangerous faster.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Ben Trovado wrote:I had a break out in college when I moved away from home and was disowned by my Mom for a while.

I was renting a room from a friend's family, and the mom was a nurse.

Keep in mind, I was 19: "Oh, that's shingles. It's caused by stress. . . . It can kill you."

Young Smartass Ben wrote:Yea ma, it was the stress of being disowned. I'll try to find someone to pay for my casket. I'll tell them to invite you to the funeral. I'll understand if you can't make it.

Yea, I've heard that stress brings it about but how the fuck can they know that? I think it just fucking happens.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:37 pm

I gave you the stress preventative above. A 40% (or stronger) ethanol solution, aged in an oak cask, take two ounces, neat or over ice, orally every half hour.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:40 pm

shemp wrote:I gave you the stress preventative above. A 40% (or stronger) ethanol solution, aged in an oak cask, take two ounces, neat or over ice, orally every half hour.

arr. in my case the cure is worse than the disease. But thanks.

Clayton Moore

Postby Clayton Moore » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 pm

No curiosity as to why a relativity dormant disease like shingles is getting so up front and personal? Terry Bradshaw tells us 1 in 3 of us will get shingles in our lifetime.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:12 am

I will try to take your question as serious and honest since I am always "measur'd in manner and speech," nay, some would say, "a RIVER to his people!"

I will assume you have never experienced shingles. "Shingles" is the popular term for a reemergence of a viral infection. It is "dormant," as in the viral genetic material persists in the nuclei of peripheral nerve cells. It can always recur. There are veritable shit-tons of bandwidth on the condition on the internet.

If you have an actual complaint, raise it. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the basics which your question suggests you do not have before you do so.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Clayton Moore

Postby Clayton Moore » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:57 am

Doctor X wrote:I will try to take your question as serious and honest since I am always "measur'd in manner and speech," nay, some would say, "a RIVER to his people!"

I will assume you have never experienced shingles. "Shingles" is the popular term for a reemergence of a viral infection. It is "dormant," as in the viral genetic material persists in the nuclei of peripheral nerve cells. It can always recur. There are veritable shit-tons of bandwidth on the condition on the internet.

If you have an actual complaint, raise it. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the basics which your question suggests you do not have before you do so.

--J.D.

What does that drivel have to do with an obscure disease, shingles, becoming a scourge that 1 in 3 of Americans will get in their lifetime?

Clayton Moore

Postby Clayton Moore » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 am

Witness wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Shingles is due to a reactivation of varicella zoster virus (VZV) within a person's body. Chickenpox is due to an initial infection with VZV. Once chickenpox has resolved, the virus may remain inactive in nerve cells. Risk factors for reactivation include older age, poor immune function, and having had chickenpox before 18 months of age. How the virus remains in the body or subsequently re-activates, is not well understood. Exposure to the virus in the blisters can cause chickenpox in someone who has not had it before but will not trigger shingles.

My emphasis: beware, old farts (with weakening immune system) like me, if you have had chickenpox in your youth – you never really get rid of the virus (a form of herpes).

It's odd that up until recently Doctors and medical science said if you DID NOT get chicken pox and become immune as a child getting adult chicken pox(shingles) was quite an ordeal. When did the about face take place?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 am

Klinton Spilsbury wrote:I have no idea what I am blathering about. Your big words and knowledge makes me cry!

Sorry to make you cry. Nevertheless, in your tantrum you expressed not one single actual fact. Nor did you make an actual sound argument.

Relax.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:53 am

Klinton Spilsbury wrote:It's odd that up until recently Doctors and medical science said if you DID NOT get chicken pox and become immune as a child getting adult chicken pox(shingles) was quite an ordeal.

No, they did not. Here is what they actually said.

When did the about face take place?

There never was one, son.

The Noble Readership will note that this one descended first to invective and fallacious tantrum.

Which, I gather, is the way he wants it. . . .

--J. "I Don't Like it Anymore Than You Men!" D.

Clayton Moore

Postby Clayton Moore » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:17 am

Doctor X wrote:
Klinton Spilsbury wrote:It's odd that up until recently Doctors and medical science said if you DID NOT get chicken pox and become immune as a child getting adult chicken pox(shingles) was quite an ordeal.

No, they did not. Here is what they actually said.

When did the about face take place?

There never was one, son.

The Noble Readership will note that this one descended first to invective and fallacious tantrum.

Which, I gather, is the way he wants it. . . .

--J. "I Don't Like it Anymore Than You Men!" D.

http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/]they[

Page last reviewed: April 11, 2016
Page last updated: April 11, 2016

Which makes you eleven times the fool you didn't think you were.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”