The Official Zika Thread

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Official Zika Thread

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Even with drugs like thalidomide I'm not sure they ever pinned down the precise mechanism by which the drug caused the birth defect.
To my recollection, it was because there were two enantiomers. One of them would have been safe, the other caused damage to development center of limb buds. Checking . . . Wikiing it sort of confirms that. It appears the drug halted angiogenesis, to make a long story short, which will certainly fuck up limb development.
You vaccinate kids at a young age before they are sexually active and hopefully it protects them for the rest of their lives.

It should. The idea is to prevent the infection with the virus. Exactly why Zika causes damage to the developing brain may not be known, but they have recovered the virus from fetal brain tissue. Be that as it may, the vaccines being developed should not give you Zika. There are, of course, a number of things you have to rule out to establish safety and efficacy.
In the short term though, I don't know if you vaccinate a pregnant woman or not. Which would be riskier? If there is a high possibility of catching the full disease the risk of vaccinating may be lower.
Generally, doing anything to a pregnant woman is a "no-no" since how the hell do you test stuff? That being written, you can give some vaccines to pregnant woman--the CDC has nice set of guidelines.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!