FDA to ban antibacterial soap

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

FDA to ban antibacterial soap

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:12 am

Didn't see that one coming. I heard some of the skepticism about how effective it is, but I never thought the FDA would outright ban it:

Sorry Germophobes, But the FDA Just Banned Antibacterial Soap

The Food and Drug Administration said today that antibacterial soaps and body washes will be banned starting next year. The FDA says they aren’t any more effective than regular soap and manufacturers have been unable to prove that they’re safe for long-term use.

There are concerns that antibacterial ingredients like triclosan could be a hormone-disrupting chemical and also make bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Lots of people don’t want this stuff in our water supply. Manufacturers have a year to phase out 19 active ingredients including the most common ones, triclosan and triclocarban. The ruling affects more than 2,000 products, or roughly 40 percent of over-the-counter soaps.

. . .

The rule doesn’t affect products used in health-care or food-service settings, or hand sanitizers or wipes. But the human race will be better off if the general public switches to regular soap and alcohol-based sanitizer.

Interesting that manufacturers now have to "prove that they’re safe for long-term use". Sounds a lot like the anti-GMO argument. Sure, they don't kill you immediately, but can anyone prove that they won't kill you in 80 years? I think not.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: FDA to ban antibacterial soap

Postby Doctor X » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:33 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Interesting that manufacturers . . .

Anax you ignorant slut!

. . . now have to "prove that they’re safe for long-term use". Sounds a lot like the anti-GMO argument.

To be fair we are dealing with some very different issues. As you note, there is not only little evidences--thanks [Stop that!--Ed.]--that antimicrobial soaps prevent any infections in us. There is a great deal of reason for this--for one they do nothing for viruses--and it does not exactly take any time for the Wee Beasties to come back. Seconds. So unless you are willing to wash constantly--I mean constantly--what have you done?

There is evidence . . . evidence that they do select for resistant bacteria. So we have the problem of a useless treatment at best and a dangerous treatment at worse. We then add that they involve active ingredients. Apparently, studies have not been done to show these chemicals are safe in the long term.

Now back to GMOs: how are they harmful? Leave aside the Woos who claim "EINSTEIN WAS WRONG SO STEEL CAN'T MELT NATURAL GAS!!1!!, what are they? Is anyone introducing a gene that produces a poison? Have we changed their cell membranes to express human prions? GMO fear is a fantastic example of "worrying about your beard when you're about to lose your head!" Worrying about zero evidence of vaccines causing autism whilst measles becomes endemic in the United Kingdom.

So I do not fault the FDA on this one.

And who did you sleep with to get that avatar?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:38 am

Sounds like a good idea then. The article was a bit lacking in the details. If they help the bugs to become antibiotic-resistant superbugs then by all means ban them I say. The article didn't seem to suggest that though.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:08 am

I have read previous articles that suggest that some time ago. It is basic evolution: you kill all on your palms save the bacteria that are resistant. They now can propagate. Commies take France.

The problem is not "you"--well . . . it is . . . but not on this matter--it is people who are susceptible to infection that you then touch. The next problem is as these Wee Beasties gain a greater foot . . . er . . . flagellum-hold in the Local Fauna they can become opportunistic infectors. So instead of getting a garden variety staph in that anal fissure, you get MRSA [Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus.--Ed.]. Or you get worse.

Sometimes these bugs can be hard to kill off--see MRSA.

This whole situation makes me laugh at Creationists and the like who pretend there is no evidences--thanks!--for evolution. It is there in your soap dish. And your underwear.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:14 am

Fwiw, here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 517478.htm
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:47 am

BIG PHARMA!!!1!!!

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:17 am

Good riddance. Useless and catering, for much profit, to obsessive "hygienists".

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:48 pm

That's it.

Obama's FDA is pro-bacteria. :HoppingMad:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm

I can anecdotally say that antibacterial soap seems to improve the smell of your sink sponge. Not for sures though.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:30 am

I read hospitals use bleach to "kill the cadavers", as bacteria can apparently pick up genes even from dead colleagues, and there is no habituation to that.
And that's what I use on my sink sponges from time to time.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”