1100 lb lady

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

1100 lb lady

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not ...

(Newser) – Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty's family says the 36-year-old Egyptian woman hasn't left her home in 25 years, the BBC reports. Her extreme weight forced her to crawl instead of walk by age 11, and an ensuing stroke left her bedridden. Her family says she weighs more than 1,100 pounds, which would make her the heaviest woman alive—the current Guinness record-holder is only 643 pounds—and close to the heaviest woman ever, according to the Washington Post. While Abd El Aty's weight hasn't been confirmed, Dr. Muffazal Lakdawala in India estimates she is at least 990 pounds based on photos of her. “My initial reaction was ‘How is she even alive?’” he says. His next reaction was to try to save her.

Abd El Aty is expected to arrive in Mumbai for surgery in the next 10 days, but it won't be an easy journey. "In every sense, she's a challenge," Lakdawala says. The bariatric surgeon has been raising money to get her to Mumbai and will be operating pro bono, the Times of India reports. But it's not just money that's an issue. Because she can't leave her room, Abd El Aty was unable to make it to the Indian embassy to be fingerprinted for a visa; only a personal plea from Lakdawala secured her an exemption. And while transporting Abd El Aty will be challenging in its own right, Lakdawala says the surgery itself is "very high risk." He says he's "hopeful" but not "confident" he can help Abd El Aty lose up to 300 pounds. (For the obese, objects are closer than they appear.)
http://www.newser.com/story/235236/1100 ... years.html

Taking this at face value, I ruminate ...

I view this sort of overweight the same way I do addiction. But it is more difficult in that one can decide not to drink, and do so, and past that critical stage, there is no risk. One cannot chose not to eat. But even so, an 1100 pound woman cannot hunt and gather on her own. She must have enablers.

The article indicates that 'he can help [her] lose up to 300 pounds.' I'm not sure that's going to help much.

Grammatron

Re: 1100 lb lady

Postby Grammatron » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:22 pm

It is an addiction, but I think unlike other addictions education and change of habits can do wonders. But, no one accidentally gets to be that overweight. It takes an insane amount of calories just to maintain.

I saw this on reddit a while ago, it's an average daily intake of a 600lb person. An 1100lb person would need at least twice. That's a lot of effort to be that suicidally obese.

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Grammatron wrote:It is an addiction, but I think unlike other addictions education and change of habits can do wonders. But, no one accidentally gets to be that overweight. It takes an insane amount of calories just to maintain.

All addiction is insane. But you're right, there is no accident about it. Which goes back to the 'insane' part.

I know I don't have the answer.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Rob Lister wrote:I'm not sure whether to believe this or not ...

(Newser) – Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty's family says the 36-year-old Egyptian woman hasn't left her home in 25 years, the BBC reports. Her extreme weight forced her to crawl instead of walk by age 11, and an ensuing stroke left her bedridden. Her family says she weighs more than 1,100 pounds, which would make her the heaviest woman alive—the current Guinness record-holder is only 643 pounds—and close to the heaviest woman ever, according to the Washington Post. While Abd El Aty's weight hasn't been confirmed, Dr. Muffazal Lakdawala in India estimates she is at least 990 pounds based on photos of her. “My initial reaction was ‘How is she even alive?’” he says. His next reaction was to try to save her.

Abd El Aty is expected to arrive in Mumbai for surgery in the next 10 days, but it won't be an easy journey. "In every sense, she's a challenge," Lakdawala says. The bariatric surgeon has been raising money to get her to Mumbai and will be operating pro bono, the Times of India reports. But it's not just money that's an issue. Because she can't leave her room, Abd El Aty was unable to make it to the Indian embassy to be fingerprinted for a visa; only a personal plea from Lakdawala secured her an exemption. And while transporting Abd El Aty will be challenging in its own right, Lakdawala says the surgery itself is "very high risk." He says he's "hopeful" but not "confident" he can help Abd El Aty lose up to 300 pounds. (For the obese, objects are closer than they appear.)
http://www.newser.com/story/235236/1100 ... years.html

Taking this at face value, I ruminate ...

I view this sort of overweight the same way I do addiction. But it is more difficult in that one can decide not to drink, and do so, and past that critical stage, there is no risk. One cannot chose not to eat. But even so, an 1100 pound woman cannot hunt and gather on her own. She must have enablers.

The article indicates that 'he can help [her] lose up to 300 pounds.' I'm not sure that's going to help much.

You'd do her.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 pm

flour, fold, etc.

I did your mom that way.

I can't say she liked it. there were four other guys there. She was moaning at someone though.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:30 am

Once you get too big to ride a rascal scooter through the Burger King drive-thru, it definitely takes Enablers to keep going.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:44 am

--J. "You're Going to Need a Bigger Boat" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:18 am

"All ye mast headers: Now hear me. You're to look for the White Whale. He's struck through with harpoons, men. And his spout it is a big one like a whole shock of wheat and he fantails like a broken jib in a storm. Death, men, you've seen him. It's Moby Dick." :shock:

"Oh fuck! My vacation dollar was not well spent...."
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 am

You can sue him for your deposit. He has barely a leg to stand on.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 am

Just more there to love.

And what else are you going to do with a snow shovel when the winter is over? :P
Such potential!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:49 am

- new minimalist ethos -

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”