Plastic

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Witness

Plastic

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 am

The Guardian wrote:Plastic fibres found in tap water around the world, study reveals

Microplastic contamination has been found in tap water in countries around the world, leading to calls from scientists for urgent research on the implications for health.

Scores of tap water samples from more than a dozen nations were analysed by scientists for an investigation by Orb Media, who shared the findings with the Guardian. Overall, 83% of the samples were contaminated with plastic fibres.

The US had the highest contamination rate, at 94%, with plastic fibres found in tap water sampled at sites including Congress buildings, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters, and Trump Tower in New York. Lebanon and India had the next highest rates.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... dy-reveals

The Guardian, again, wrote:Sea salt around the world is contaminated by plastic, studies show

Sea salt around the world has been contaminated by plastic pollution, adding to experts’ fears that microplastics are becoming ubiquitous in the environment and finding their way into the food chain via the salt in our diets.

Following this week’s revelations in the Guardian about levels of plastic contamination in tap water, new studies have shown that tiny particles have been found in sea salt in the UK, France and Spain, as well as China and now the US.

Researchers believe the majority of the contamination comes from microfibres and single-use plastics such as water bottles, items that comprise the majority of plastic waste. Up to 12.7m tonnes of plastic enters the world’s oceans every year, equivalent to dumping one garbage truck of plastic per minute into the world’s oceans, according to the United Nations.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ic-studies

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Plastic

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 am

What is the health impact? At some minute level, my food and drink is already contaminated by everything from feces to plutonium. But dose makes the poison. What's the LD50 for plastic?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:41 am

Probably alarmism. But you might want to get a water filter.

You should see some of the things babies shit out. I remember when my mom would find little plastic toys in my little brother's diapers.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 am

[youtube][/youtube]

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am

I got city water now, and I still have the well, so I can choose between fluoride, algal blooms, and whatever else in Cleveland water versus enough iron, calcium, and manganese to cast an ingot or two.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Boss Higgins
Title: Boss

Post by Boss Higgins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am

You complainin'?!
Boss Paul says you wasn't happy with your job! That you was complainin'!

Well, we're goin' to give you a chance to think about it!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:57 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Probably alarmism. But you might want to get a water filter.
Probably. And I'm too old to worry (but a decent tea needs "soft" water, so I filter).
Yet I think it's good to keep an eye on that.
Anaxagoras wrote:You should see some of the things babies shit out. I remember when my mom would find little plastic toys in my little brother's diapers.
Made me laugh. Happily the transit went without problem. :mrgreen:

The difference here is that the particles are extremely small, so have an enormous surface/volume ratio. Which brings me to:

@ Rob: "dose makes the poison" (and LD50) are one-time concepts. But it's difficult to conduct experiments over half a century. (Classical example: Mithridates' antidote.)