Coffee

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Witness

Coffee

Postby Witness » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 am

Bloomberg wrote:Coffee Waste Is Now Fetching a 480% Premium Over Coffee Itself

Prices for dried husks are outstripping those for beans.

Details: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-22/coffee-waste-is-now-fetching-a-480-premium-over-coffee-itself

Anaxagoras

Re: Coffee

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:51 am

That's . . . interesting.

I am reminded of how whole grain bread or whole grain rice became more in demand than white bread or white rice (sometimes). That part which they used to throw away, is now considered valuable again.

I bet you in the olden days people would have thought you were mad to pay more for a loaf of whole wheat bread than a loaf of white bread. But in Japan at least, that's how it is. At the supermarket where I shop, whole wheat bread costs more than white. I think white bread is still more popular with Japanese though. Most of the sliced bread on the shelf is white, with several competing brands, while there is only a small area for whole wheat or other kinds of bread, and it costs more. So it could just be economies of scale and competition.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:58 am

Some people will drink any fucking shit if it's trendy.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm some people. I thought cascara was a laxative but wiki tells me cascara bark is a different plant. Cascara tea is apparently a thing in Other America. I see on Amazon I can buy 12 oz for $20. Nope. But if see some in a trendy gas station convenience store, I'll try it.

Return to “Medicine, Health, & Nutrition”