So do homeopathy threads go here?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

So do homeopathy threads go here?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:37 pm

Well?

You went and paradigm shifted us. :whine:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

rwald

Re: So do homeopathy threads go here?

Post by rwald » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Well?

You went and paradigm shifted us. :whine:

So does that mean we have to ignore it, then violently oppose it, and then accept it as obvious? Who was the guy that quote comes from, anyway?
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:51 pm

Thomas Kuen . . . or something like that . . . I do not know if he "coined" it originally.

Homeopathy does not need to go here because it does not involve medicine, health, or nutrition.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

roger

Post by roger » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:55 pm

Kuhn.

The OED is no help on the coiner of 'paradigm shifted', though of course Kuhn used it.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:41 pm

Not Karl Popper? I may be all wet, but that's my impression.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Geni

Post by Geni » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Homeopathy might get in here under health but not under medcine

Rolfe

Post by Rolfe » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:08 am

Well, it seems the obvious place to put it. After all, most of the stuff discussed here is likely really to have nothing to do with real medicine or real health - otherwise, why be sceptical?

Rolfe.
"The thing about medicine is, that it all comes down to the numbers."
- Dr. Stephen Franklin, <I>Interludes and Examinations</I>.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:31 am

What the heck? Where did this come from? Ah well, guess that'll teach me to pay more attention in the future.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:20 pm

Okay, so my theory of a homeopathy thread is that:

The shorter it is, the more clothes it can hold together.

The emperor will like this.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Sentzeu

Post by Sentzeu » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:31 pm

I wouldn’t mind a homeopath discussing his or her views at this forum. Remember discussion is what we are here for. However experience tells me that the majority of them are not very good at arguments and will go into posting patterns that are rather typical.

We can of course all agree that a whiner or a troll will be irritating beyond anyone’s tolerance.

Here’s a classical example.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... adid=39041

This is a thread started by the infamous Olaf. This annoying entity made classically flawed attacks, consisting of posting an overload of various sources, answering only to faintest criticism with emotional responses and personal insults. My advice is that the first time they commit such an incident, they should be issued an official warning, then be banned if they repeat such an incident.

Another example of the above, though not as strong is, located here http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... genumber=2

It’s the same symptoms as above; Overloading with posts and answering only to faint criticism. So like were those two, that some suspected that they where the same person with a different alias.

I hope that we will avoid these posters. At least if we are attacked by such poster, we should respond, not with our usual discussion of their posts (this is useless), but perhaps with a reminder of the forums rules and etiquette. Maybe we can a avoid a useless and time consuming flame war, wasting energy which could be directed into other and more fulfilling things.

Rolfe

Post by Rolfe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm

Olaf, QII and an earlier poster called Gold are all Xanta from H'pathy.

Homeoskeptic, Corallinus (banned as an outed sock) and Sarah-I are all Naturalhealth from H'pathy.

(Phil63 and Barbrae are both Barb from H'pathy, but she has never denied this or even tried to hide it, she was allowed to re-register as Barbrae when the JREF software wouldn't let her post as Phil63.)

When they get tired of being shredded and presented with awkward questions they can't answer, they (Xanta and NH) go away for a week or two then come back with another name and start the very same argument all over again. Tedious, but I don't see how Girl 6 can ban or suspend them here for such behaviour. They only get censured at JREF when the sock identities (not allowed there) are proven.

It's H'pathy that bans posters for presenting arguments they don't like. I wouldn't like to see either SC or JREF going that way.

Rolfe.
"The thing about medicine is, that it all comes down to the numbers."
- Dr. Stephen Franklin, <I>Interludes and Examinations</I>.

Zombified

Post by Zombified » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:59 pm

Rolfe wrote:Olaf, QII and an earlier poster called Gold are all Xanta from H'pathy.

QII seems like a hopeless spamming asshat.

Rolfe wrote:Homeoskeptic, Corallinus (banned as an outed sock) and Sarah-I are all Naturalhealth from H'pathy.

Sarah at least seems able to hold a conversation.

Rolfe wrote:When they get tired of being shredded and presented with awkward questions they can't answer, they (Xanta and NH) go away for a week or two then come back with another name and start the very same argument all over again. Tedious, but I don't see how Girl 6 can ban or suspend them here for such behaviour. They only get censured at JREF when the sock identities (not allowed there) are proven.

I wonder why they bother changing socks. It's not like its going to help, they should know that by now. It's interesting that there's so much traffic from the same three people...

At least Kumar will always be Kumar.

Rolfe wrote:It's H'pathy that bans posters for presenting arguments they don't like. I wouldn't like to see either SC or JREF going that way.

God forbid, that would no fun at all.