Question about coughing

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Hexxenhammer

Question about coughing

Post by Hexxenhammer » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:52 pm

My cold has developed into a cough. My question is, why do I cough so much more at night? It goes from an every couple of minutes cough to a every few seconds cough. I know lying down has something to do with it, but it has to be more than that, because I cough more before I even go to bed.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:18 am

*COUGH-COUGH*

*HACK!*

*WHEEZE!*

*HHHHAAAAWWWWKKKK....PTOOOIE!*

Yuck, I hope thats not part of my lung.

Loon

Post by Loon » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:15 am

IAN(Y?)AD, but my first guess would be that it has something to do with relaxing before you go to sleep.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

Filippo Lippi

Post by Filippo Lippi » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:27 am

Right, I'll have a go...

Isn't it all the stuff from your sinuses running down your throat and into your lungs?
"...but please don't shout or speak to me too harshly,
because I'm not particularly brave."

Blue Monk

Re: Question about coughing

Post by Blue Monk » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:31 am

Hexxenhammer wrote:My cold has developed into a cough. My question is, why do I cough so much more at night? It goes from an every couple of minutes cough to a every few seconds cough. I know lying down has something to do with it, but it has to be more than that, because I cough more before I even go to bed.

This has been happening to me.

I recently developed a leak in my garage so I need a new roof job. For me, this started right after I discovered the leak and is worse after it rains (which has been happening a lot around here lately).

I'm beginning to suspect that there is some mold there because when the weather's nice my cough goes away.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:43 pm

Blue Monk wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:My cold has developed into a cough. My question is, why do I cough so much more at night? It goes from an every couple of minutes cough to a every few seconds cough. I know lying down has something to do with it, but it has to be more than that, because I cough more before I even go to bed.

I recently developed a leak in my garage so I need a new roof job. For me, this started right after I discovered the leak and is worse after it rains (which has been happening a lot around here lately).

I'm beginning to suspect that there is some mold there because when the weather's nice my cough goes away.

Fix that leak, and look into some antihistimines.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

noc

Post by noc » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:44 am

See your doctor - could be bronchitis or something else that should be looked into to, like asthma or side-effects of medication.
noc: nobody of consequence

Blue Monk

Post by Blue Monk » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:45 am

Skeeve wrote:
Blue Monk wrote:

Fix that leak, and look into some antihistimines.

OK, thanks.

Oh by the way, I figured out the fix the leak part on my own. ;)

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:46 am

Been to the doctor, it's a virus. Drink lots of fluids blah blah blah... The cough is all that's left of the cold.

Azraphael

Post by Azraphael » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:08 am

I'm not a doctor and have no medical training, but I'll take a guess...

I think it probably has something to do with being tired. At the end of the day, your body is preparing for sleep. Heart rate tends to be lower, you have less energy, and the cough is perhaps more prevalent because of it. Since your body has less energy to fight the virus when you are not well rested, I think it stands to reason that the virus isn't being fought as effectively. Therefore, the symptoms (specifically coughing in this case) become worse.

Again, it's just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

~Azraphael
[i]Knowledge is just opinion you trust enough to act upon.[/i]

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:45 pm

Hexxenhammer wrote:Been to the doctor, it's a virus. Drink lots of fluids blah blah blah... The cough is all that's left of the cold.

Virus pah! That's what doctors always say. What you've got there is undoubtedly lung cancer. You've got a couple of weeks left, at best, before you start drowning in your own pneumonia.

At least, that's what I always assume when I get a cough.

Cheers,
Rat.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:Been to the doctor, it's a virus. Drink lots of fluids blah blah blah... The cough is all that's left of the cold.

Virus pah! That's what doctors always say. What you've got there is undoubtedly lung cancer. You've got a couple of weeks left, at best, before you start drowning in your own pneumonia.

At least, that's what I always assume when I get a cough.

Cheers,
Rat.
Forgot to log in there, Rat.

So these big black chunks I'm coughing up aren't good news? Oh dear.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:22 pm

Probably no big deal, but just in case.....

Can I have your stuff?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:24 pm

Bearguin wrote:Probably no big deal, but just in case.....

Can I have your stuff?

No. It's all gonna get burned with me in the pyre.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:29 pm

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Bearguin wrote:Probably no big deal, but just in case.....

Can I have your stuff?

No. It's all gonna get burned with me in the pyre.

Damn!

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:58 pm

Don't forget to get that cancer tissue folks. It's great for homeopathic remedies!

Rolfe

Post by Rolfe » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:39 pm

To drag this thread back down to earth, if you're not coughing up anything, if it's just a dry, ticklish cough, try to panhandle some codeine. 30 mg at bedtime.

Rolfe.
"The thing about medicine is, that it all comes down to the numbers."
- Dr. Stephen Franklin, <I>Interludes and Examinations</I>.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:45 pm

Rolfe wrote:To drag this thread back down to earth, if you're not coughing up anything, if it's just a dry, ticklish cough, try to panhandle some codeine. 30 mg at bedtime.

Rolfe.

It's a little better today. It's not the dry ticklish cough, it's a wet cough. I've had to wipe my monitor off. And in the morning, look out, yellow crap flying everywhere. But I managed to sleep the whole night last night with little interuption.

Rolfe

Post by Rolfe » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:48 pm

Hexxenhammer wrote:It's a little better today. It's not the dry ticklish cough, it's a wet cough. I've had to wipe my monitor off. And in the morning, look out, yellow crap flying everywhere. But I managed to sleep the whole night last night with little interuption.

In that case, do not use codeine. It could be harmful.

Rolfe.
"The thing about medicine is, that it all comes down to the numbers."
- Dr. Stephen Franklin, <I>Interludes and Examinations</I>.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:40 am

Ahhh, a chance to use my near forgotten Respiratory Therapist skills...

Having a cough get worse at night is generally a combination of factors. Deeper breaths while awake tend to spread the secretions more evenly throughout the lungs, but when you sleep, your breaths become more shallow. Toss in the effects of gravity from lying down and those secretions will pool and usually find their way to the nerve lined passages of the upper airway.

A little post nasal drip only makes the situation that much worse. It adds more secretions to the upper airway and it makes you tend to breathe through your mouth, drying the airways more quickly and making them that much more sensitive.

When you get going in the morning, you shake up those pools you've spent the night creating giving you the nasty morning cough until you manage to spread the secretions throughout your lungs again.

BTW, if it's yellow lung butter, you've probably still got an active infection. Fluid intake really is your best remedy. It will help flush your body, but more importantly, it'll help thin the secretions, making them easier to get up. Humidification doesn't hurt either.

Watch for the green stuff. That's usually a sign that the infection has passed and you should start to see a real decrease in secretions.

Now, was that way more than you ever needed to know about snot and phlegm?

Also, I'm always anxious to brush up on my nasotracheal suction techniques, so if you'd like, I'll be more than happy to run a catheter straight to the source and get the sludge out! :D :D