Question about coughing

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Loon

Post by Loon » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:49 am

Anonymous/Suez? wrote:Also, I'm always anxious to brush up on my nasotracheal suction techniques, so if you'd like, I'll be more than happy to run a catheter straight to the source and get the sludge out! :D :D

Good explanation. I've learned something today and it's not even noon!

But are you saying that you want to suck people's noses?
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:08 am

Anonymous wrote:Ahhh, a chance to use my near forgotten Respiratory Therapist skills...

snip

Well, thanks. That answers that. My cough is 90% gone now. Still one here or there, but no more fits, and I don't cough at night.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

KillerBob

Post by KillerBob » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:31 am

Loon wrote:Good explanation. I've learned something today and it's not even noon!

But are you saying that you want to suck people's noses?

The "Guest" post was mine. I didn't log in and somehow it let me get away with posting anonymously. Just got back from vacation and hadn't noticed it until now.

To answer your question, the nasotracheal part describes the pathway. You pass a suction catheter through the nose and down the trachea to facilitate suctioning of the trachea and larger airways of the lungs. This path is used because the natural curve of the nasal airway tends to guide the catheter straight toward the trachea. If you try to go through the mouth, the catheter almost always ends up unwantedly in the esophagus instead.

It's a fairly unpleasant experience that's rarely performed on someone who is alert and oriented. Think about how sensitive your cough reflex is. Just a little water going down the wrong pipe can set off a pretty nasty coughing fit, right? Now imagine someone intentionally jabbing around in there with a hard plastic catheter that they just crammed down your nose for up to 30 seconds at a time, while also applying suction that quite literally sucks the air right out of your lungs.

However, I have met quite a few people who didn't mind it much, if at all, and have even ran into a few hardcore people who will perform it on themselves.