Magic Tape

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
RedShift

Magic Tape

Post by RedShift » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:58 pm

http://www.biotape.com.au/

It's a miracle! Thank God we never have to suffer pain again.

DISCLAIMER:
We make no claims on this web page that Biotape™ will stop, heal, or relieve pain. It is offered for sale only for research purposes-to explore the Chinese definition of pain. The only claim we make is that Biotape™ connects the 'broken Chi' (endogenous electrical signals in living tissue) which traditional Chinese medicine defines as the cause of pain.

While we're researching, this bloke sees no harm in raking in the cash from the usual desperate and deluded ...
Random chance seems to have operated in our favour.

[color=red]If I wanted something your thumb touched, I’d eat the inside of your ear.[/color]

Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:39 am

Did you see the price of the tape?!? $30 (don't know how much in US currency that is) for one metre. You know how duct tape I can buy for $30?

What a scam...

RedShift

Post by RedShift » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:44 am

AUD30 is about USD 21

[color=red]If I wanted something your thumb touched, I’d eat the inside of your ear.[/color]

Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:59 am

For $21 USD, I can get 240 yards of duct tape from The Home Depot and have an equally effective pain reliever.

For examples: http://www.ducktapeguys.com

noc

Post by noc » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:52 am

Ahhh, but normal tape doesn't include the magic ingredient that instantly eliminates pain and cures the problem. :x

On the telly last night, Biotape was referred to as 'a user-friendly super-conductor'

Notice, you have to drink unchlorinated but salt-enhanced water to ensure the magic tape works - bucks for water purifier salespeople into the bargain here.

Do you think you could short circuit your central nervous system using this stuff? Are there any warnings about completely covering you body in tape and then hurling yourself into a salt-water pool or an electrical substation? Could you become a human magnet and cure arthritis just by lying on people?
noc: nobody of consequence

RedShift

Post by RedShift » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:04 am

On the telly last night, Biotape was referred to as 'a user-friendly super-conductor'
Here's some info on the show (doesn't look like a transcript, I didn't see the show. On the ads they had some pensioners miraculously walking. Hallejulah.)

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/1723.asp

Typical technique: ask if it's a gimmick in the operning to give a veneer of objectivity then milk the miracle angle uncritically. And quote an acupuncturist for the scientific view ....

Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba)

Post by Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba) » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:01 pm

The Chinese believe that pain is caused by the "blockage of Chi."
Yeah, well they believe a lot of weird shit.

- a concept that has never been adequately evaluated in Western medicine.
Because Western medicine deals in reality, not spooks.

I submit that...
trans: "I'm making a guess (and out of my ass at that)"

..."Chi" is the endogenous..
I'm pretty sure that's not a word.

...electrical potential in living tissue that can be measured and quantified.
Then MEASURE IT AND QUANTIFY it, jackass!

I further propose...
Another guess.

...that pain is caused by cut, broken, or suppressed electrical connections between cells."
Nothing would give me greater please than providing you with a first-hand demonstration of what pain actually is.

:x :x :x
Can it core a apple?

RedShift

Post by RedShift » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:09 pm

..."Chi" is the endogenous..
I'm pretty sure that's not a word.
You learn something new everyday ..... Of course just because it's a real word doesn't mean it isn't a load of nonsense. From dictonary.com

en·dog·e·nous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-dj-ns)
adj.
Produced or growing from within.
Originating or produced within an organism, tissue, or cell: endogenous secretions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
en·doge·nous·ly adv.
en·doge·ny n.

Main Entry: en·dog·e·nous
Pronunciation: en-'däj-&-n&s
Variant: also en·do·gen·ic /"en-d&-'jen-ik/
Function: adjective
1 : growing from or on the inside <endogenous spores>
2 : caused by factors within the body or mind or arising from internal structural or functional causes <endogenous malnutrition> <the physical mechanism underlying circadian rhythms is held to be an endogenous self-sustaining oscillator> <endogenous psychic depression>
3 : relating to or produced by metabolic synthesis in the body <endogenous opioids> <endogenous amino acids> —compare EXOGENOUS —en·dog·e·nous·ly adverb

endogenous

\En*dog"e*nous\, a. 1. (Bot.) Increasing by internal growth and elongation at the summit, instead of externally, and having no distinction of pith, wood, and bark, as the rattan, the palm, the cornstalk.

2. (Biol.) Originating from within; increasing by internal growth.

Endogenous multiplication (Biol.), a method of cell formation, seen in cells having a cell wall. The nucleus and protoplasm divide into two distinct masses; these in turn become divided and subdivided, each division becoming a new cell, until finally the original cell wall is ruptured and the new cells are liberated (see Segmentation, and Illust. of Cell Division, under Division). This mode of growth is characteristic of many forms of cells, both animal and vegetable.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:50 pm

I'd like to point out that theories of chi are just that, and the actual goods have in fact been tested by scientific means and found to lack merit.

In particular, claims of the ability to feel chi from a few inches away have been tested scientifically and shown to be nonsense--in an experiment devised by a child, no less.

Historically, Chinese quacks were forbidden to disect cadavers for many centuries, but upon the occasional beheading, observed blood vessels leaking blood. They hypothesized that these were meridians for the flow of air, and that blood was an evil foreign substance which blocked the flow of air--which they called chi. They made up hypothetical paths for this flow of air based on various pre-existing mystical theories.

As information on genuine anatomy seeped into China, the meaning of "chi" was changed to prolong the hegemony of the professions based on it. This is similar to the process by which the word "heaven", which originally meant the sky and supposed that the sky was a solid sphere, came to mean an immaterial and mystical thng or place as better understandings of light and astronomy became available.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Sundog

Post by Sundog » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm

Aww, chi whiz.

Loon

Post by Loon » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:22 am

DrMatt wrote:Historically, Chinese quacks were forbidden to disect cadavers for many centuries, but upon the occasional beheading, observed blood vessels leaking blood. They hypothesized that these were meridians for the flow of air, and that blood was an evil foreign substance which blocked the flow of air--which they called chi. They made up hypothetical paths for this flow of air based on various pre-existing mystical theories.

As information on genuine anatomy seeped into China, the meaning of "chi" was changed to prolong the hegemony of the professions based on it. This is similar to the process by which the word "heaven", which originally meant the sky and supposed that the sky was a solid sphere, came to mean an immaterial and mystical thng or place as better understandings of light and astronomy became available.
Fascinating! Where did you learn this?
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

MRC_Hans

Post by MRC_Hans » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:27 pm

DrMatt wrote:*snip*
Historically, Chinese quacks were forbidden to disect cadavers for many centuries, but upon the occasional beheading, observed blood vessels leaking blood. They hypothesized that these were meridians for the flow of air, and that blood was an evil foreign substance which blocked the flow of air--which they called chi. They made up hypothetical paths for this flow of air based on various pre-existing mystical theories.

*snip*
Mmmm, that bit sounds very suspect. Surely Chinese doctors (by quacks, I assume you mean whatever doctors they had at that time) would have observed blod and bleeding in MANY other contexts than beheadings. They would have observed that blood, far from being an evil foreign substance, is vital and people die if they loose too much. Even primitive which doctors know this from experience.

Hans
[i]Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...[/i]

Rolfe

Post by Rolfe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:37 pm

Sounds a bit like the genuine (I believe) origin of the word artery. The primitive anatomists only got to look at bodies of soldiers who had bled to death, and observed that the arteries were full of air. So hypothesised that they were a means for transporting air around the body (they having already observed that air goes in and out, as it were). Hence, artery.

Not entirely wrong, just substitute oxygenated blood, it's the same sort of thing....

Rolfe.
"The thing about medicine is, that it all comes down to the numbers."
- Dr. Stephen Franklin, <I>Interludes and Examinations</I>.