Civilization V (and now IV)

Stump your fellow simians.
RCC

Re: Civilization V

Postby RCC » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

gnome wrote:
A good way to keep the score in proper perspective is to simply turn off time victory, which means the game plays until someone scores a REAL victory.

That way I think of the score as the computer's estimate of how well you're doing. Which may or may not tell the whole story.

That is usually how I play, I was just trying to shut my friend up about the score thing. He's not beating that one, ever, seeing he's a warmonger that hates, and is probably incapable of, micromanagement. I got to the point where I was pumping out future techs every turn (on marathon) and had to go ahead and GDR the last capital because my population was outpacing every bit of happiness I could manage to create. I also had about 750K gold, but that gets me no credit.

Silly and childish really. But it had to be done.

I think my next game is a giant earth map domination only victory. Prove the superiority of the Aztec race.

RCC

Postby RCC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Anyone try the new expansion pack for this? I've long ago returned to playing Civ4 with all the expansion packs as it just seems like a better game all in all.

I read the specs for it, and it sounds like a totally new game. Just that I really like 4 and don't know if it will be worth the time and money to upgrade.

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:24 pm

If you're playing Civ4 and you're not using the BAT mod you are missing out... unaltered gameplay,massively enhanced interface and graphics. I myself have contributed a flag-switching mod so that you can, say, switch England to the St. George cross or the Union Flag (even mid-game)... because does the UK flag make sense in agame with England and powerful Celts? On the other hand, if you are playing Churchill and sending tanks against Berlin, the UK flag seems best.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

I've been avoiding mods because we do a lot of lan multiplayer and we have to have the same exact versions or else it won't work. I might try the BAT mod and see what it does as to that.

I've been obsessed with it lately. I usually play small/pangea on noble with random leaders, just to try to win the game. By accident I managed to score 99500, and I'm for some reason wanting to cheese myself a six figure score. I've figured out a plan to do it. Mainly it involves being the Incas and using their absurd warrior units to get off to a flying start.

If I wind up being one of those people that try to score in the millions by pumping up cities with sushi I'll be ashamed of myself.

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 am

Nanananananananana BAT MOD!!!!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274636

Seriously, you'll wonder how you played without it. I believe your friends may or may not need it as well, but they'll probably want it.

This next thing isn't part of BAT mod but works with it... it's the flag thing I posted... received some help from an anonymous python coder, and the artwork from two other flag mods... so the difficult work was other people's (hence why I billed everyone else first in the credits)... but I put it together and did a lot of research on what to actually call the flags--did you know most of them have formal names?

The instructions are for BAT mod 2.0, but work for any version if you pick the right folder.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads ... e&id=13394

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 am

I did install the K-mod, which uses something called BUG for the interface. K-Mod did seem to end all the sync errors in multiplayer, which is nice. I can already tell the k-mod AI is way more savvy than the regular AI.

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm

BUG is the interface components of BAT without the graphics (armies and cities) individualized by nation.
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I figured BUG and BAT were somewhat similar. I haven't a chance to go through the interface options, but from reading threads at civfanatics it did sound useful. Do you think the flag mod would work with the k-mod? So far the k-mod seems to be a pile of awesome.

That site slays me sometimes. The thread about scoring 3.5 million points was alarming on a bunch of levels.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 am

Link me to the K-Mod, I'll investigate. The flags should work with almost any mod, unless it has a competing flag mod.
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am

Should work, if you follow the directions for installing it into a mod besides BAT.

You have to mess with the python code a bit to not have to manually browse to the file, you can insert the correct path.

It seems we are at an impasse though... it is interesting, and after the higher quality gameplay, I can understand how you wouldn't want to go back. The problem is I won't leave my beloved diversity graphics behind... I get too used to the graphics personalized to each nation.
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I tried out the caveman to cosmos mod. A bit overwhelming as I played for an hour on the fastest setting and was still working through the 29183 techs in the stone age tree. I can't even begin to describe the opening menu music. Worth downloading just for that... cringeworthy and hilarious all at once.

Cloverlief

Postby Cloverlief » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm

If you were in Fight Club, you would be Edward Norton.
Chani

RCC

Postby RCC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Look out for that prick Montezuma (he's a douchebag)

Cloverlief

Postby Cloverlief » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Just ask Elvis; after all, he is you advisor.
Chani

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:14 am

I miss the old advisor meetings from Civ 2.

Playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHfk5VhA ... sults_main

"While the scrollheads play with their quills, the city's defenses are as thin as paper. BUILD CITY WALLS!"

"Would that we could wall up your mouth!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 am

It's official... I still like Civ 4 better than Civ 5. I started playing again after this conversation and it's back to the old "Just one more turn" cravings.

Civ 5 has notable improvements... but the difference in my enjoyment level cannot be ignored.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:22 am

"Would you make peace with our enemies, Lord, or would you stick their HEAD upon a PIKE?!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 pm

gnome wrote:I miss the old advisor meetings from Civ 2.

It's been a while, but I found the winning strategy of Civ 2 (conquering the world, no space ships), to build the Statue of Liberty as soon as possible and use it switch to Communism before making the otherwise necessary discoveries.

Then pour on the science and head for nukes.

Don't switch to Democracy unless someone else does, and switch to Fundamentalism as soon as you get nukes. That way you get hordes of fanatics who do not need operational support while you build up your nuclear arsenal.

I got tired of it after a while, but it was a very amusing game. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

RCC

Postby RCC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm

I was a builder in Civ2, although after about a million games of Civ3 and Civ4 I barely remember the mechanics. I do remember I usually had the military adviser in tears while the science and happiness advisers loved me. If I needed a city I would usually just bribe it to flip.

The tank death trap was awesome. As I remember you could put a mech infantry on top of a fortified mountain with a road leading to it and the AI would run tank after tank into it.

Return to “Puzzles & Games”