Civilization V (and now IV)

Stump your fellow simians.
gnome

Re: Civilization V

Postby gnome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Civ2 had a decent attack/defense/hp combat system that for some reason they refused to return to.

Also, if you had a unit wait, it would remember that you deferred orders to that unit, and keep the same sequence the next time around. A very organic flow of ordering units around emerged.

It also had proper Zone of Control system... you could realistically use your military to prevent incursion without going to war.

The loss of Brian Reynolds was a blow to the franchise, as I see it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

The caveman to cosmos mod is kinda insane. I decided to go all out, playing the 50 civ gigantic earth map on "eternity" speed. I finally got into the ancient era after about 20 hours of play or so, right now it is something like 7200BC and the turns are five years.

It will probably drive me insane. The Aborigines must take over the world though. I've only met the Cambodians and I'm way, way ahead of them. My only problem is the rampaging mobs of desert turtles that keep maiming my stone axemen.

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I may have to try that one, is that for Civ 4 or 5?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Arrrgh!!! I played for about four hours and it is still like 5500BC. It is really addicting though. If you like the "march through history" aspect of Civ then this mod on the gigantic earth map (custom scenario) on eternity speed is incredible. It dragged a bit in parts because of my isolated start and because Australia didn't seem to spawn a lot of animals and barbs, but it is picking up now. A more crowded start would avoid that, especially if you have the "start as minor civ" option turned on because diplomacy does not come online until writing and until then it is a state of war.

I'm playing through it on chieftan just to get an idea of how the tech tree works and empire management and such. It is a much different game. I'm so far ahead of everyone that it really will be a game of how fast I can grow a world-wide empire. Food is on a different scale. There are a lot of buildings that give food and the improvements are bigger. Right now I'm getting ten food for farmed rice. With a lighthouse and some sort of achievement my national unit gave me I get 4 gold per unimproved water tile, so the cities are going to get way bigger than in the regular game. Plus, later in the game apparently you can build an improvement that increases the city radius by one.

gnome

Re: Civilization V (and now IV)

Postby gnome » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 pm

My annoyance with pretty much all versions of Civ is that you spend a LONG time in the pre-gunpowder era... and then you have muskets and frigates and cannons and such for a relatively short time before getting modern war tech, and then spend another significant chunk of time in the modern era. I'd love to pad out that middle for longer. The other one is, build Apollo project, ok whoops, time to colonize! Really? I once made a mod that required a space center, sattelite tech, and finally a space station before beginning the Alpha Centauri mission. Plus I made Apollo require Rocketry and Computers. I think I made robotics the pre-req for space stations.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 am

All I know is I LOVE the new expansion pack for Civ V. The Mayans have become my favorite Civ. Plus I like making my own religions, things like Roman Cthulhucism.
All Hail The Crimson King

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 am

Can't afford yet... snif
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 pm

I think I may have run into Cthulhu while playing the CtoC mod. I had a galley exploring around Europe and it ran into a giant squid with a base strength of nine....

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I think I had too good of a start on too low of difficulty.

It is about 2500BC. I control Australia up into Indochina, the China coast to the Korean border and all of Japan. I didn't bother with New Zealand as it looked a waste of resources for now.

Problem is, until I research representative democracy I have a 20 city soft cap where each city over 20 costs me 1 unhappiness in each city. I have 35 cities and the extra 15 unhappy is beginning to cause some trouble. But for that, I'd probably have a majority of Asia at this point as my economy is absurdly healthy (+1500 gold/turn at 100% science).

An odd alternate history to say the least... I just built a caravel and landed an explorer in South America, soon I will finish circling the globe. I probably should just start over on higher difficulty and a harder start, but I kind of like the idea of Aborigines ruling the globe by 1000AD or so. As soon as I get Astronomy and Rep Democracy I'm going to unleash the hounds and see how long it takes to unite the world under shamanism and the Aborigine Republic.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Postby Bearguin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Can I ask a dumb question.

Can Civ iv or CIv v be played without an internet connection? I was reading reviews on Civ V that talked about Steam issues.

I was thinking of picking it up and playing while camping. No internet.

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Civ 4 can be played without internet. Civ5 theoretically can if you set Steam to offline mode, but I would test it.
--Soldier, TF2

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Postby Bearguin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Think I'll try IV. Sounds like a long version of Ages of Empires, that I've been playing for lack of something else to play.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 pm

You need an internet connection when you first install Civ V. After that you can play it offline. I do so all the time.

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Bearguin wrote:Think I'll try IV. Sounds like a long version of Ages of Empires, that I've been playing for lack of something else to play.

If you get IV get the "complete" version. It has the expansion packs and is way better than the base game. Most of the user made mods seem to be designed for that, and there are some really, really good mods out there.

Part of the reason V has been so disappointing to a lot of people is because IV is just that good....

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Found a BAT mod merged with a better AI mod... gonna try after I finish my current game.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am

I built Angkor Wat in Angkor Wat. I win.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 am

gnome wrote:I built Angkor Wat in Angkor Wat. I win.

Which is weird because Angkor Wat is not the name of a city, it is the name of the complex but the nearest city is called Siem Reap. So unless you built it in Siem Reap, you lose.

(I only know this because I was doing a bit of window shopping for my next vacation destination just yesterday, and I looked into visiting Angkor Wat)

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:56 am

Once upon a time the city names were in a simple flat list. It was child's play to substitute better lists....

Instead of, for example...
(Civ 3--Celtics)

Entremont
Alesia
Lugdunum
Camulodunum
Richborough
Verulamium
Gergovia
Augustodurum
Agedincum
Eboracum
Burdigala
Cataractonium
Lapurdum
Ratae Coritanorum

Boy that is fun, nothing says "Rome is going to conquer the shit out of me" like those names.

You could have instead:

Tara na Ri
Dun Eideann
Glaschu
Cardiff
Alesia
Dubh Linn
Beal Feirste
Icenia
Pentraeth
Brecon
Numantia
Calleva
Briganta
Caerphilly

Now, though, they embed them in crazy XML so that you can't copy and paste in a list, you have to painstakingly edit, often more than one file, so nobody bothers.

I'm not sure how good "Tara na Ri" is for a theoretical Celt capital... that was my addition to the favorite Celtic cities list. The minimal research I'd done suggested it was the traditional seat of Ireland's high king, but I see on Wikipedia that's probably mostly mythical.

But, if they can give Vikings horns, the Celts can have Tara na Ri.
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Postby RCC » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 am

I finally bought the Civ 5 expansion pack when I saw it on steam for about twelve bucks including all DLCs to date. It improves the game a bit, mostly the AI doesn't seem quite as stupid as it did upon release, but it still is tactically stupid and usually wastes units left and right.

The religion addition is mildly interesting, but the espionage looks like it was rushed in there. Very, very basic and mostly seems useful in rigging city-state influence. Stealing tech is limited and there does not seems to be many really, really key techs once you reach the stage of the game where espionage is a factor.

Return to “Puzzles & Games”