World of Tanks

Stump your fellow simians.
Anaxagoras

World of Tanks

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 am

My son downloaded this and got me hooked on it. It's pretty damn fun. At least I think it is.

I think it's a free download BTW. You can spend money to upgrade your equipment faster, but you don't have to do that to have fun. You start off with basic low-level tanks and you can get silver and "stars" to upgrade them by earning points and medals in battles (you can also earn some by doing tutorials and watching training videos in the game). Each battle typically pits 2 teams of up to 15 vehicles against each other. Each one is controlled by a human. Don't worry that you'll be put up against players with much better equipment. It sorts players mostly according to the level of tank they have. Besides tanks you can also control artillery pieces or tank destroyers. The difference seems to be that a tank destroyer is essentially a tank but it doesn't have a turret that rotates 360 degrees. Instead the gun is more powerful. The tanks are classed into light, medium and heavy ones.

It takes a little getting used to, and there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's not so hard. Sometimes you get killed real fast before you can do much at all, but you'll learn the tricks. Each battle lasts about 10 to 15 minutes, or until one side wins, either by destroying the other side to the last man, or occupying an objective such as the enemy's base for a certain amount of time.

[video][/video]
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: World of Tanks

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 am

Times have changed a bit since I last played a tank game!

[youtube]PAfyhkqHDHM[/youtube]

Will give it a try when I get bored of Goat Simulator.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Link?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:15 pm

If you want to play on PC I would just google it.
In our case we downloaded it for Xbox 360 on Xbox live.

I'm on my iPhone now so it would be easier for you to just google it.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm

ah, I see. Thanks.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:23 pm

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm friends with one of the devs there. I'll let them know you care. Also, I will have them delete you.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:11 am

There's also Mechwarrior Online, which appeals to a similar style of gaming.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 am

Has anyone given it a whirl yet?

I'm still hopelessly addicted. Haven't been this into a video game in a long time, TBH.

The following is probably TL;DR, and may be of no interest to anyone, so apologies in advance. Feel free to skim it or just skip it entirely.

So far my personal best result was killing 4 enemy tanks in one match. In one, I was in the Matilda, a tier IV British medium tank. It's slow, but it has decent armor once you upgrade it and a good rate of fire on the gun. I won as the sole survivor on my team by occupying the enemy base, killing 4 enemy vehicles on the way there. The German panzer tree is also a fun one. These are fast tanks, but tend to lack in firepower and armor. You need to use your speed. I had a very fun one with the panzer III, a medium tank that is mobile like a light tank. I went off on my own down a valley on the left side of the map by myself and encountered an enemy light tank. Destroyed him after a brief encounter. Going out on your own is dangerous because if you run into two or more enemies together you are almost certainly going to be dead meat. But this time I encountered 3 three tanks, but one at a time and was able to win each encounter before help could arrive. The second one came at me from the side but I used the panzer III's speed to run further down the valley until I got to a formation of rocks where I turned around and waited for him to come at me. He came around the corner and I blasted him. Didn't destroy him but he retreated back around the corner. He then tried to come at me again and I let him have it again. After that he tried to run away but I pursued him and destroyed him with a couple more shots. Then I continued down the valley and turned the corner to where the enemy base was. Saw an enemy tank destroyer engaged with one on my side, so I came at him from the side (a weak point) got my third kill. Then it was on to the base and no other enemies were left to defend it, so I occupied it with a couple allies to win that match.

In general though, going out on your own usually doesn't work because you rarely run into just one other tank at a time. Sticking with a buddy or two is safer. You can still die fairly quickly of course, but at least one of you should be able to get a few shots in. With certain maps, the fighting tends to get channeled into certain narrow areas like valleys, and in those cases you often get 4 or more tanks on each side going at each other in a narrow area. Stay out of the open as much as possible in those situations. Look for cover, use the terrain. Best to not have the lower half of your tank exposed if you can avoid it. If you are in a depression in the ground, or behind a low wall that makes you a smaller target. On top of a hill you can see more targets but more enemies can see you too. (The ads for the game tend to show tanks fighting out in the open, but this is never a good strategy if you can avoid it. It just looks cool.)

The tanks come in 10 tiers and each tank can also be upgraded with better equipment. The four elements are turret, gun, engine and track. The elements also come in 10 tiers. Say you just bought a new tier V tank. It starts out with maybe tier IV of each of those, so it's really more like a tier IV tank until you earn enough experience and silver to upgrade the turret, gun, engine and tracks to better ones. Usually each has a few possible things that can be upgraded but they come as a package deal. So like the first upgrade available might be for the engine and the track and only after that can you upgrade the turret and the gun. Depends on the tank though. There's a building tree and you go through each tier in order and each branch in the tree leads only in certain directions. For example, this is the German one (xBox version):

http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/d ... _eng_6.jpg

Like right now, on this tree I have the Hetzer (tank destroyer, tier IV), VK 30.01 H (tier V heavy tank) and Panzer III/IV (tier V medium tank),
I also have an American self-propelled gun (artillery), a Soviet light tank and a British heavy tank and tank destroyer (on other build trees).
William Shakespeare