1860 Cavalry Saber Blade

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

1860 Cavalry Saber Blade

Postby ed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:16 pm

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

Found this blade at a show this pase weekend. I used to collect swords, American mostly, sold off all but a few. The blade is from a US cavalry Saber like the one below

This one is chrome plated and has no makers mark.

It's dated 1864 and it looks to me like the initials are J.C.W. which seems to be stamped over an "S". The "S" is part of "U.S." This one is chrome plated and has no makers mark. The initials are the government inspector. The maker should be the Ames sword company but it isn't stamped on the blade. It looks to me like it was never mounted.

The inscription should read
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- new minimalist ethos -

Fid

Re: 1860 Cavalry Saber Blade

Postby Fid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Cool find ed. One thing though has puzzled me. One can open carry a firearm (which I'm fine with) but not a sword. What part of a knife to a gun fight...

I once got hassled by police in Cobb county Georgia (yes that Cobb county) for carrying my umbrella in my belt. Admittedly I did deploy it sometimes to scare dogs but dang.
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:41 am

Cobb county Georgia.

There's your answer right there.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Fid

Postby Fid » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 pm

True :D
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

Fid

Postby Fid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:22 am

Oh and at the time I was open carrying a Buck 110 knife and a leatherman that had not one but TWO! screwdrivers. But the cop ( a young guy I'll give him that) actually
apologized .Cobb county ain't that bad.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Two screwdrivers!!? My Gawd, you might have randomly dismantled something!!! Terrorisms I tell ya!
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Fid

Postby Fid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 pm

sparks wrote:Two screwdrivers!!? My Gawd, you might have randomly dismantled something!!! Terrorisms I tell ya!

Actually I was working in a small engine repair shop at the time. The name was Christian's Outdoor Equipment.

I did faith healing on the lawnmowers... It went thusly "Cast out these evil evil spirits of lawn care. " :x

Fid removes a Briggs&Stratton air filter clogged with grass. Only charge a new air filter.

Management hated me because they could have made big bucks off this idiot.

Return to “Archaeology”