Caligula's boat

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

Caligula's boat

Postby Witness » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:56 am

From Lake Nemi (Nemorensis Lacus), drained by Mussolini, boat later destroyed by artillery fire during WWII.

shemp
Title: gnat

Re: Caligula's boat

Postby shemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 am

Doesn't look seaworthy. Needs work.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:05 am

I recall reading about that. It was used for gladiatorial games I think. Never saw a picture though. Thanks.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Hmm.

The modern equivalent would be a card of world championship boxing matches aboard a chartered cruise ship.

It could be done, and make money too. Televised of course.

Unfortunately, the perfect guy to be the impresario and MC of such a thing is too busy right now, what with being president of the United States.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

ed wrote:I recall reading about that. It was used for gladiatorial games I think.

Some arenas were flooded for "naval battles", yes, but here we have leisure / ostentation / religion.

There is an interesting Wiki page on the Nemi ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_ships

Excerpt:
Both ships had several hand-operated bilge pumps that worked like a modern bucket dredge, the oldest example of this type of bilge pump ever found. The pumps were also operated by what may have been the oldest crank handles yet discovered; the reconstruction of the cranked pump which was assembled from fragments, including a wooden disk and an eccentric peg, has been dismissed as "archaeological fantasy".

Piston pumps (ctesibica machina: Vitruvius X.4?7) supplied the two ships with hot and cold running water via lead pipes. The hot water supplied baths while the cold operated fountains and supplied drinking water. This plumbing technology was later lost and only re-discovered in the Middle Ages.

Each ship contained a rotating statue platform. One platform was mounted on caged bronze balls and is the earliest example of the thrust ball bearing previously believed to have been first envisioned by Leonardo da Vinci but only developed much later. Previous Roman ball bearing finds (used for water wheel axles in thermal baths) had a lenticular shape. The second platform was almost identical in design but used cylindrical bearings. Although consensus is that the platforms were meant for displaying statues, it has also been suggested that they may have been platforms for deck cranes used to load supplies.

My personal intuition on these rotating platforms would be to link them to the rotating dining room of the Domus Aurea. But I certainly didn't research the subject. :oops:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 pm

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, number 41. And live."
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:59 am

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 am

The damn thing was a firetrap and a right old dump! Jolly good that we bombed the shit out of it! Probably saved thousands of lives!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 pm

shemp wrote:The damn thing was a firetrap and a right old dump! Jolly good that we bombed the shit out of it! Probably saved thousands of lives!

Some say it was the retreating Germans…

Anyway, just continuation of the usual Roman business:

(Notice gnome getting his beard scratched.)

Return to “Archaeology”