H. L. Hunley (submarine)

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

H. L. Hunley (submarine)

Postby Witness » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 am

Wikipedia wrote:H. L. Hunley, often referred to as Hunley, was a submarine of the Confederate States of America that played a small part in the American Civil War. Hunley demonstrated the advantages and the dangers of undersea warfare. She was the first combat submarine to sink a warship, although Hunley was not completely submerged and, following her successful attack, was lost along with her crew before she could return to base.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Hunley_(submarine)

1864 painting of H. L. Hunley by Conrad Wise Chapman

New research sheds some light on its fate:
Heritage Daily wrote:Confederate submarine crew killed by their own weapon

The Hunley’s first and last combat mission occurred during the Civil War on Feb. 17, 1864, when it sank a 1,200-ton Union warship, the USS Housatonic, outside Charleston Harbor, South Carolina. The Hunley delivered a blast from 135 pounds of black powder below the waterline at the stern of the Housatonic, sinking the Union ship in less than five minutes. Housatonic lost five seamen, but came to rest upright in 30 feet of water, which allowed the remaining crew to be rescued after climbing the rigging and deploying lifeboats.

The fate of the crew of the 40-foot Hunley, however, remained a mystery until 1995, when the submarine was discovered about 300 meters away from the Housatonic’s resting place. Raised in 2000, the submarine is currently undergoing study and conservation in Charleston by a team of Clemson University scientists.

Initially, the discovery of the submarine only seemed to deepen the mystery. The crewmen’s skeletons were found still at their stations along a hand-crank that drove the cigar-shaped craft. They suffered no broken bones, the bilge pumps hadn’t been used and the air hatches were closed. Except for a hole in one conning tower and a small window that may have been broken, the sub was remarkably intact.
[…]
The Hunley’s torpedo was not a self-propelled bomb, as we think of them now. Rather, it was a copper keg of gunpowder held ahead and slightly below the Hunley’s bow on a 16-foot pole called a spar. The sub rammed this spar into the enemy ship’s hull and the bomb exploded. The furthest any of the crew was from the blast was about 42 feet.

Lance says the crew died instantly from the force of the explosion travelling through the soft tissues of their bodies, especially their lungs and brains. She says the crippled sub then drifted out on a falling tide and slowly took on water before sinking.

“This is the characteristic trauma of blast victims, they call it ‘blast lung,'” said Lance, who worked as a biomechanist at the U.S. Navy’s base in Panama City, Florida for three years before entering graduate school at Duke. “You have an instant fatality that leaves no marks on the skeletal remains. Unfortunately, the soft tissues that would show us what happened have decomposed in the past hundred years.”

Blast-lung is a phenomenon of something Lance calls “the hot chocolate effect.” The shockwave of the blast would travel about 1500 meters per second in water, and 340 m/sec in air. “When you mix these speeds together in a frothy combination like the human lungs, or hot chocolate, it combines and it ends up making the energy go slower than it would in either one,” thus amplifying the tissue damage. Lance said that when it crossed the lungs of the crewmen, the shockwave was slowed to about 30 m/s.

While a normal blast shockwave travelling in air should last less than 10 milliseconds, Lance calculated that the Hunley crew’s lungs were subjected to 60 milliseconds or more of trauma.
http://www.heritagedaily.com/2017/08/confederate-submarine-crew-killed-weapon/116346

(mockup)

Grammatron

Re: H. L. Hunley (submarine)

Postby Grammatron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:32 pm

At least they did not suffer.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Yes yes. Fairly quick as drowning goes...
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Fid

Postby Fid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm sure given enough time the slavers could have conducted experiments using the vaguely human livestock to avoid such a disaster.

If I recall correctly the nazis used victims to study the effects of hypothermia.

And no the bastages will never get a capital n from me.

Thanks though.
"Try SCE to Aux."

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 am

Definitely no fun:

Fid

Postby Fid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 am

Looks like the boyos peckers are hanging out. Understandable if one is that goddamn commited to preserving chattal slavery.
"Try SCE to Aux."

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

Anything to preserve keeping black people as slaves and less-than-human maintain the Christian Southern Hospitality which Gave Great Benefits to Negroes Against Northern Aggression as Seen in Gone With the Wind.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

"You're a free man now Tom!"
"Oh no I ain't Genral. Now I's espensive! And guess who's toin it is to pay dis time? Dat's right: Put it all right here, in de bag!"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Fid

Postby Fid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 am

Doctor X wrote:Anything to preserve keeping black people as slaves and less-than-human maintain the Christian Southern Hospitality which Gave Great Benefits to Negroes Against Northern Aggression as Seen in Gone With the Wind.

--J.D.

GWTW is with out a doubt one of the most boring books I have ever read and only
because I live in ATL. Jesus on a bicycle, it's like reading a transcription of the soap opera "General Hospital."

Hell, "Moby Dick" was more fun.
"Try SCE to Aux."

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 am

Awesome! I must tell お姉さん who loved the book when she was a Wee Lass.

Though, to be fair, unlike Moby Dick, at least in Gone with Sherman Who Fucks Up Your Shit the Wind something actually happens.

I think two things even happen!

--J. "Dune Gets Really Good After the First 400 Pages!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Archaeology”