Civil War gold!

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Civil War gold!

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Re: Civil War gold!

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 am

"No credible evidence."

Essentially the Smithsonian wrote a story about an urban legend.
Legend has it that in 1863, just before the outbreak of the Battle of Gettysburg, the Union Army dispatched a wagon train filled with gold that would be used to pay Union soldiers. The wagon train departed from Wheeling, West Virginia, and made it St. Mary’s, Pennsylvania. At some point after that, however, the shipment of gold disappeared.
. . .

He claims that the lost shipment contained 52 bars of gold, each weighing 50 pounds (others say that the wagon train was carrying just 26 bars), but was unable to dig for the treasure because the Dents Run site sits on state land.

“There’s no doubt in my mind it’s down there,” Parada told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2008. “I’m not going to quit until it’s dug up.”
Yeah, I'm sure that amount of gold could just "disappear" without anyone in the government noticing. Even if it did go missing, why would they bury it there and then forget about it? It's a cockamamie theory. Doesn't pass the 'ol sniff test.

Also, I'm pretty sure the troops were not paid in gold during the civil war. In fact I think they started using paper currency during the civil war because it would have been impractical to pay the troops with gold.

https://www.nps.gov/fosu/learn/educatio ... tivity.pdf
Just as the Revolutionary War prompted the Continental Congress to issue paper currency, the financing of the Civil War provided the catalyst for the continuing evolution of U.S. currency. In 1861, the U.S. Treasury issued its first paper currency since the Continentals--Demand notes. They were printed in $5, $10, and $20 denominations, redeemable in coin on demand. Demand notes were also called "greenbacks" because their reverse sides were printed in green ink. Although Demand notes were no longer printed after 1862, they're still valid today, redeemable in current cash at face value. Demand notes were replaced by Legal Tender notes, which were issued in denominations ranging from $1 to $10,000. To save metals during the Civil War, Legal Tender notes were originally backed by faith in the government, rather than gold or silver. In 1879, the U.S. Treasury began redeeming Legal Tender notes for coin. They were issued until 1966 and are still redeemable today at face value.
Widespread hoarding of coins and the need to divert metals toward the war effort created a shortage of coins during the Civil War. Paper tickets, stamps, and bills were frequently substituted, but the scarcity was so great that Congress authorized the issuance of "paper coins" as a temporary "fractional currency." From 1862 to 1876, the federal government issued more than $368,000,000 in fractional currency in
three- to fifty-cent denominations. Called "shinplasters," these paper coins were much smaller in size than our existing currency. After the Civil War, fractional currency was no longer needed and Congress stopped issuing fractional currency in 1876.
Yeah, so in 1863 the troops would not have been paid in gold coin or 50-pound gold bars. Really doesn't hold up to any scrutiny.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 am

Yeah, this is the stupidest fucking story! What the hell were they going to do with 50 pound gold bars, shave off bits to pay each man? Ridiculous!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Jimmy the Gent
Title: Goodfella

Post by Jimmy the Gent » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 am

You trying to be a wiseguy with me?

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 am

according to some Elk County locals
Said locals being of course too dumb or lazy to find it by themselves? :roll: