Supposedly there's a "Great Unchurching" happening in America

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Anaxagoras

Supposedly there's a "Great Unchurching" happening in America

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 am

Came across a particularly vapid and vague think piece about it. The dangers of the great American unchurching

The news hook is a couple of new surveys that show fewer Americans identifying as religious or attending church on a regular basis.

This guy thinks that's a bad thing because: "There is no guarantee at all that those who leave religious institutions and traditions behind will end up on the liberal left." :roll:

The only other "danger" he seems to see is that religious people are going to be "persecuted" by the secularists, for which he offers a couple of weak anecdotes.

Well, I guess there's not much to discuss here, but what do you think?

A post-religious America will be very different from the country we've known up until quite recently. Not all (or even many) of the changes will be improvements.

:notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Supposedly there's a "Great Unchurching" happening in America

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 am

And black boys will date white girls then we will not be able to slap our secretaries on the ass for the Love of Mike!

--J.D.

P.S. I only saw the article as the daily RealClearPolitics collection of "stupidity from both sides." I did not bother assuming it was another, "okay . . . religions are stupid and I have no defense of their beliefs . . . but . . . blind faith in them is . . . really good! Without it . . . Bad Things!" apology.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 am

Always skeptical of polls, but I have an impression of a long term trend away from "mainstream" denominational religion and toward "spiritual but not religious".

Not creeping atheism. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Always skeptical of polls, but I have an impression of a long term trend away from "mainstream" denominational religion and toward "spiritual but not religious".

Not creeping atheism. :lmao:

That is what the data appear to confirm.

The Pew poll shows that since 2012 the share of Americans who describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious" has surged from 19 percent to 27 percent, while the share of those who call themselves "religious and spiritual" has declined from 59 percent to 48 percent. That's a dramatic change for a mere five years, and it builds on longer-term trends.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm

There persists a social stigma for being an atheist.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

It's true about the stigma, but I don't think it's just a question of closet atheists being cagey.

There is a genuine resistance to the idea that we are all alone in a cold unfeeling universe and will die forever. And you must make your own meaning of life, if any.

So while Big Nobodaddy may have fewer takers these days, "spiritual" is as big as ever.

And for the more rational ( :BigGrin3: ) types, there are The Right Side of HistoryTM, and The SingularityTM.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:It's true about the stigma, but I don't think it's just a question of closet atheists being cagey.

There is a genuine resistance to the idea that we are all alone in a cold unfeeling universe and will die forever. And you must make your own meaning of life, if any.

So while Big Nobodaddy may have fewer takers these days, "spiritual" is as big as ever.

And for the more rational ( :BigGrin3: ) types, there are The Right Side of HistoryTM, and The SingularityTM.

I think family also plays a roll. Many large holidays in USA revolve around religion AND family. Forsaking religion and family (even if it's a one-sided perception) is a toll order.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Grammatron wrote:I think family also plays a roll. Many large holidays in USA revolve around religion AND family. Forsaking religion and family (even if it's a one-sided perception) is a toll order.

Not necessarily.

I had an atheist upbringing, but that never stopped us from celebrating Christmas or Passover.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Belief in fairy tales remains the "norm."

As Sir Humphrey instructed Bernard: you want to impress the poll-taker, "you don't want to look like a fool."

--J.D.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

AA says: "There is a genuine resistance to the idea that we are all alone in a cold unfeeling universe and will die forever. And you must make your own meaning of life, if any. "

And besides..."We don't take kindly ta yer kind 'round here!!"

"Now Skeeter, he ain't hurtin' nobody."
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 pm

The atheists took our jobs!

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm

The article seemed, to me, crippled as neither "atheist" nor "atheism" appear in the text – textbook case of elephant in the room. (To be fair, his theme is "unchurching", not "unfaithing".)

But neither did he address the seepage from traditional woo to neo-woo.

So finally I came to think that he just whines about the disappearance of his cherished traditional beacons: red-blooded god-fearing & church frequenting Muricans vs. blaspheming lecherous godless Commies. And predicting dire consequences so he has a reason to whine.

P. – S. While googling around I learned this:
Wikipedia wrote:'Mokita' is a word in the Kilivila language, which is spoken on Kiriwina, the largest of the Trobriand Islands (near Papua New Guinea). It means "truth we all know but agree not to talk about."
:mrgreen:

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm

That's a great word
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I wonder if there also isn't a sort of migration from traditional church-based worship towards more specialized "holier than THOSE guys" homegrown groups. Pure speculation on my part unless someone has more info. It connects with something I think someone here said once that a lot of material is not directed at converting nonbelievers but towards convincing existing Christians that they're "not Christian enough".
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 pm

There does seem to be a growth in "non-denominational", but that covers the field from "too super fundie for any denomination" to "spiritual not religious, but with bake sales".

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”