The Power of Dreams

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
shuize

The Power of Dreams

Post by shuize » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:12 pm

I seem to remember reading Carl Sagan writing about the power of coincidence in religious thinking. Just a few minutes ago I was reminded about how this can work with dreams.

I rarely remember my dreams, but last night I had an odd, very specific dream about a ship being struck in a harbor. In my dream it was either a Norwegian or Swedish warship.

I have no idea why I would be focused on such a thing. The closest thing I can think of was watching clips of the "Miracle on the Hudson" water landing of US Airways flight 1549 a few days ago. A few days earlier I watched a documentary about the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union.

I didn't watch or read any news from yesterday afternoon onwards and went to bed early. When I woke up this morning, after my dream, I read this story in the news:
COPENHAGEN, Denmark — An oil tanker rammed a Norwegian navy frigate Thursday in a harbor on the country's western coast, tearing a large hole in its side, the military said. The frigate's 137 crew members were evacuated amid fears that it may sink.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/no ... spartanntp

In my case, had it been a relgious themed dream, dream about a departed loved one, etc., and had I not already read Sagan's writing on the subject, I can see how such unusual coincidences might lead one to believe it was some kind of "sign."