Exorcism, once again…

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Witness

Exorcism, once again…

Postby Witness » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 pm

news.com.au wrote:
Priest carries out mass exorcism at religious camp for children — leaving them screaming and in tears

SCHOOL children at a religious camp to celebrate Lent were left screaming and in tears when instead of singing songs and praying, the priest carried out a mass exorcism.

The 1000 children from schools in the town of Gryfice in north-western Poland had gone to the camp for a three-day trip for what was billed as a way of helping “young people explore God and devote themselves to spiritual renewal through prayer.”

But when they got there, they found priest Tomas Wieczorek, 37, was more interested in exorcising their demons and replacing them with God.

For the rest, with pictures: http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/priest-carries-out-mass-exorcism-at-religious-camp-for-children-leaving-them-screaming-and-in-tears/story-fnh81p7g-1227285621584

I very specially liked this most enlightened comment by the (*cough*) "school psychologist":
School psychologist Halina Wysocka said: “Children are not emotionally mature enough to experience prayer during which the Holy Spirit may enter them. […]”

And the conclusion:
A church spokesman for the area said: “We haven’t received any complaints so far, so there’s no problem.”

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Exorcism, once again…

Postby sparks » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Ah,the power of belief...................
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Witness wrote:I very specially liked this most enlightened comment by the (*cough*) "school psychologist":
School psychologist Halina Wysocka said: “Children are not emotionally mature enough to experience prayer during which the Holy Spirit may enter them. […]”

Emphasis added.

This sounds an awful lot like someone trying to put a positive spin on actual demon possession, doesn't it?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:44 pm

[youtube]8QjrBjdb2T8[/youtube]
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:55 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:This sounds an awful lot like someone trying to put a positive spin on actual demon possession, doesn't it?

I'm more appalled by the belief – even if held by a "psychologist" – of an exterior (and presumably sentient!) agent somehow "entering" the mind of a person. So I don't really bother about differences between good/holy/spirit and bad/satanic/demon, they're certainly "explained" in some nook of theology, about which I don't care apart from making fun of it.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Good point Witness. Possession is fucked. Doesn't matter if it's Caspar the friendly fucktard or Bazooza the bringer of locusts.

This whole belief thingy.......a sort of epilepsy perhaps? Maybe there's a vaccine for this somewhere................... :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 pm

We do not speak unkindly about Bazooza around here. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Who the fuck is Bazooza? I'll take the bastard on and call him a motherfucking, Abdul's spunk swallowing cunt.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 pm

My point about alleged demonic possession versus being filled with the alleged Holy Spirit -- The phenomena are real even if the explanations are total crap, and they are the same phenomenon.

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:24 am

Yup. I've suffered three seizures and, had I not known better, demonic possession would have seemed a very good explanation. That's some seriously scary shit for anyone to witness.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:and they are the same phenomenon

No gripes with that. I even think it's true. But we need proof.

So here's a nice PhD program: get a bunch of possessed; a score or two of raptured; put them through a brain scan when in full crisis; publish world-shaking results.

I'm sure Image will give you a fat grant. :wink:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:31 am

Here is the answer--though I would still hook them up to an EEG. Neither an MRI nor CT will show anything extraordinary other than lesions that are epileptogenic, or alter the personality.

1. If the person is not talking, is not responsive, has a period of tonus/clonus--it is a Generalized tonic clonic seizure.
2. If the person is still talking, is responsive to stimuli, and has period of "clonus"--it is a Pseudoseizure and the person is either a malingerer or suffering from a psychiatric condition.
3. If the person is unresponsive for a period without tonus/clonus--it is an "absence" or Partial Complex seizure.
4. If the person retains consciousness but has all sort of what seems like odd things like sudden personality change, bizarre smells and taste, déjà vu or its opposite--which is not vujà dé--jamais vu--it is a Simple Partial, often temporal lobe, seizure and/or psychiatric. Malingering is a diagnosis of exclusion.
5. As above: absent those documentable epileptic events, either a psychiatric disorder--which tends to have different history and not conform to seizure patterns--various lesions and diseases that affect the brain--like the classic Wilson's disease--or malingering.

"Malingering" generally connotes a conscious effort to fool for some secondary gain. However, you will find cases, particularly in abused children, who have developed all sorts of seemingly bizarre apparent neurological symptoms secondary to abuse. These, again, tend not to always fit a seizure. Less enlightened times these were "hysteria" and/or "possession."

--J.D.

[Edited to correct the absence of the "or" after the "either."--Ed.]
Last edited by Doctor X on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:39 am

They're still at it:

Mid-day wrote:
Vatican offering courses in fighting demonic possession with exorcism!

Vatican city: The Vatican is offering a course on exorcism or casting out demons this April. The module teaches priests and laymen how to recognise and fight demonic possession.

Sponsored by the Vatican Congregation for the Clergy and organised by the Sacerdos Institute, the weeklong course is called Exorcism and Prayer of Liberation will be held at the European University of Rome from April 13 to 18.

In its tenth year, the course will give essential tools on the subject of exorcism, learning how to handle cases of demonic possession and distinguish them from disturbances of a psychological or medical nature.

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/vatican-offering-courses-in-fighting-demonic-possession-with-exorcism/16116168

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:31 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Yup. I've suffered three seizures and, had I not known better, demonic possession would have seemed a very good explanation. That's some seriously scary shit for anyone to witness.

Yeah, I witnessed a seizure in my office a couple years ago. It was scary. I thought the guy might be dying or something.

According to what Doctor X wrote and wikipedia, it was a tonic-clonic seizure. I'm certain he wasn't faking it. He made the screaming sound described (different from a normal scream), fell off his chair taking a pile of papers on the desk with him, and a short time later he started to shake. I'd never seen one in person before.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 am

KCCI News wrote:According to documents released by the Iowa Board of Chiropractic on Wednesday, the license of a chiropractor has been suspended for "engaging in sexual contact with several patients."

The board said Charles Manuel, of Lamoni, engaged in unethical contact.

According to documents, Manuel "bartered sex for services with some of these patients" and "performed exorcisms as part of his chiropractic treatment of patients."

http://www.kcci.com/news/chiropractor-suspended-after-performing-exorcisms/32386134

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:47 am

One of the benefits of authority in religion is sex with the parishioners.

--J.D.

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:45 am

Can't be much of a benefit for a Church of England priest.

Most of the practicing parishioners are 90+

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 am

Necrophilia?

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:12 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Can't be much of a benefit for a Church of England priest.

Most of the practicing parishioners are 90+

They should switch to Islam. 8)

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Those silly fuckers want to be nagged for all eternity by 72 teenaged girls.

If that's paradise, I'm a Belgian pancake.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”