Gay wishful thinking in Ireland

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Gay wishful thinking in Ireland

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:46 am

Catholic Church ‘will pay price’ for stance on gay marriage
Irish Times

Bishop tells TCD conference that gay rights is ‘the justice issue of our time’ ...

Clarification for those who don't read the whole thing: This is a Church of Ireland (Protestant) bishop.

... A conference discussing the religious case for marriage equality has heard there will be “a price to be paid” by the Catholic Church for its stance in relation to the upcoming referendum. ...

It's basically a permutation of the "wrong side of history" fallacy. History is just shit that happens, not a "force" that takes sides.

As for the Roman Catholic church, I think they have their long term global survival strategy down pat.

Their fortunes have been down for a while in western Europe including Ireland, but nowhere near as down as liberal Protestantism, despite the fact that people tend to agree with the Protestants on social issues. Because that's not how to perpetuate a church.

Meanwhile the Roman Catholics are getting bigger than ever globally, particularly in places where the traditional anti-gay thing is a winner.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Re: Gay wishful thinking in Ireland

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 am

There may be a price to pay in Ireland though. I actually don't think it's wishful thinking.

But the trend toward leaving the church has already started of course. And the church's stance on these matters has been known for a long time and should be no surprise. So anyone who is currently a practicing Catholic already knows this. But I believe the trend will continue.

http://irishamerica.com/2012/09/is-irel ... -religion/

The Gallup poll, titled the Global Index of Religion and Atheism, asked 50,000 people in 57 countries “irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person or a convinced atheist?” The 2005 poll showed that 69% of the Irish respondents considered themselves religious, 25% as not religious, and 3% as convinced atheists. In 2011, 47% considered themselves religious, 44% not religious and 10% convinced atheists. These most recent poll results reflect a 22% drop in religious identification among the Irish in just six years, with a corresponding increase in both “not religious” and “convinced atheist” categories. Some suggest the study could reflect the shattered trust and negativity surrounding the numerous sex-abuse scandals and corruption within the Church, “rocking established religion in the predominately Roman Catholic country.”

In a rebuttal to the poll’s results, a spokesperson for the Catholic Communications Office said that religion is not a “numbers game” and that the word “religious’” is too general to be used as the key word in a survey, especially in Ireland where the people prefer words like “spiritual.”

Numbers game or not, Ireland ties with Austria, Iceland and Australia with ten percent of respondents in the “convinced atheist” category.

Ireland is not the only country showing a significant decline in religious identity – the United States saw a 13% drop in religious identification over the same period.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:01 pm

We Brits are doing pretty well.

The UK is among the least religious countries in the world, according to a new survey. In a global ranking of 65 countries, the UK came six places from last, with 30% of the population calling themselves religious.

If I was allowed to throttle the fucking Jehovah's Witnesses, who persist in knocking on my door, despite many polite and impolite requests that they should not do so, we could probably knock a few more percentage points off.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:There may be a price to pay in Ireland though. I actually don't think it's wishful thinking.

I get a definite vibe of "Ireland is the world".

Sort of like the commonly encountered "America is the world" only Ireland.

As for the RC in Ireland -- Still way ahead of the bloody prot "Church" of Ireland. :BigGrin3:

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:We Brits are ...

Yeah I know. Ever since Henry the 8th. :P

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:As for the Roman Catholic church, I think they have their long term global survival strategy down pat.

Was Pat a consenting participant?

Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:11 pm

DrMatt wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:As for the Roman Catholic church, I think they have their long term global survival strategy down pat.

Was Pat a consenting participant?

Of course. :coolspecs:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 pm

According to the press release, that young man with the 'perfectly formed 8 inch penis' was only carrying Pat's luggage....................
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 pm

sparks wrote:According to the press release, that young man with the 'perfectly formed 8 inch penis' was only carrying Pat's luggage....................

With his penis? :o

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat May 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Looks like gay marriage referendum passed by a landslide:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -live.html

Votes still being counted but it looks like the only question is how large the margin will be.

Latest results
• Meath East 63pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin South 75 pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin North East 71pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin North Central 68pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin South Central 72 pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin North West: 70pc say yes to gay marriage
• Dublin West: 71pc say yes to gay marriage
• Wicklow: 68pc say yes to gay marriage
• Adamstown and Gusserane - 52pc yes to gay marriage
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Looks like gay marriage referendum passed by a landslide ...

Particularly significant in that it is the first time marriage equality has come in by direct popular vote.

Meanwhile, the Roman Catholic Church is the biggest and still doesn't pay any taxes too.

So good for the Irish, but the confounding of Popery is still but a dream.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

Westboro Baptist has protested Ireland.

With the wrong flag.

http://www.unilad.co.uk/articles/westbo ... ory-coast/

Sort of.

The Westboro Bapstist Church has inadvertently declared its hatred of the Ivory Coast, after printing the Irish flag backwards on their posters.

Is that like flying the US flag upside down?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 am

God Hates Cote d’Ivoire

Source: http://www.godhatestheworld.com/
Clickable world map of why God hates each country.

BTW, I got this graphic from Westboro Baptist before they took it down for some reason:

God Hates Ireland.png

If *they* post it, it's copyright infringement. But if *I* post it, it's "legitimate satirical purposes" just like Mad Magazine. Right? :notsure:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 27, 2015 12:38 pm

The Guardian wrote:Vatican says Ireland gay marriage vote is 'defeat for humanity'

A senior Vatican official has attacked the legalisation of gay marriage in Ireland. The referendum that overwhelmingly backed marriage equality last weekend was a “defeat for humanity”, he claimed.

“I was deeply saddened by the result,” Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s secretary of state, said at a conference in Rome on Tuesday night. “The church must take account of this reality, but in the sense that it must strengthen its commitment to evangelisation. I think that you cannot just talk of a defeat for Christian principles, but of a defeat for humanity.

The remarks by the Vatican’s top diplomat, who is seen as second only to the pope in the church’s hierarchy, represent the most damning assessment of the Irish vote by a senior church official to date.

It was a far more critical response than the circumspect reaction offered by archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, who said: “It is very clear that if this referendum is an affirmation of the views of young people … [then the church needs] a reality check.”
(emphasis mine)

:twisted:

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm

That's it, we're boned. Apocalypse time.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 pm

And priest raping children and the Vatican covering it up for decades is what exactly?

Oh, right, "perks" and the fault of the children. I keep forgetting my catechism.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed May 27, 2015 4:06 pm

The Guardian wrote:Vatican says Ireland gay marriage vote is 'defeat for humanity'

But then they would say that. 8)

The Ireland marriage equality win is especially satisfying because it is by direct popular vote.

Meanwhile the Roman Catholic Church is still the big one (and still not a democracy) and the "Church of Ireland" is still nowheresville.

... reality check ...

Reality check? That sounds like something a Protestant divine would say to a nearly empty auditorium. :twisted:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm

I keep hearing Tinkerbell crying . . . or at least I would if I cared Gal, if I fucking cared, if I gave a solitary fuck for that homophobic racist Cunt.

--J. "Sonoma Bear" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”