Looks like Ravi Zacharias might be in trouble.

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
the_ignored

Looks like Ravi Zacharias might be in trouble.

Post by the_ignored » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:11 am

Details here. This is the same guy who, well, along with the rest of the evangelical crowd, loves to take shots at the morality of atheists.

Summary of Concerns

The Cambridge Claim

Ravi Zacharias has claimed for many years that he was a “visiting scholar at Cambridge University.” He presents this claim prominently in his press bios and in his memoirs. He makes frequent mention of it in his public appearances. It is by far the most impressive item in his academic portfolio.

The claim is false. The University of Cambridge press office has confirmed the same to us.

We recently contacted Mr. Zacharias and informed him of our belief that he has misrepresented having been a “visiting scholar at Cambridge University.” We informed him of our intent to go public with this information and we asked him for a response. None came.

Shortly thereafter Mr. Zacharias deleted the claim from his official website bio.
There's more.
>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
>Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
>Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
>illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
>the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
>and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
>still disappear if I was you.

Anaxagoras

Re: Looks like Ravi Zacharias might be in trouble.

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:40 am

Never heard of him. Sounds like another shyster.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

the_ignored

Post by the_ignored » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 am

Yep:
Failure to follow basic standards of honesty in public speaking

In Ethics in Public Speaking, James Kudooski states the obvious: “Ethics in public speaking demand that you are honest and accurate in the information you are presenting to your audience. Do not mislead your audience intentionally. Do not distort the facts to suit your aim. If you are not sure about a piece of information or fact or statistics, don’t use it!”

In one of the first Ravi Zacharias lectures that we viewed, he attempts to prove the inspiration of the Book of Daniel by showing that although it was written in the 6th century B.C.E. it predicted accurately the rise and fall of Alexander the Great two centuries later. In making the argument Mr. Zacharias twice emphasized the 6th century dating of Daniel.

Upon investigating Mr. Zacharias’ claim we learned that contemporary Old Testament scholarship widely agrees that Daniel was written two centuries after Alexander the Great.

The question is not about the dating of Daniel. One need not be an expert in the dating of ancient document to see deception by Mr. Zacharias here. He undoubtedly understands that the 6th century date is (at best) hotly contested, yet he gave no indication of that to his unsuspecting audience of college students.
>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
>Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
>Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
>illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
>the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
>and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
>still disappear if I was you.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:02 am

the_ignored wrote:Yep:
In one of the first Ravi Zacharias lectures that we viewed, he attempts to prove the inspiration of the Book of Daniel by showing that although it was written in the 6th century B.C.E. it predicted accurately the rise and fall of Alexander the Great two centuries later. In making the argument Mr. Zacharias twice emphasized the 6th century dating of Daniel.

Upon investigating Mr. Zacharias’ claim we learned that contemporary Old Testament scholarship widely agrees that Daniel was written two centuries after Alexander the Great.
Yup.

Let me guess: he also claims Moshe wrote the Pentateuch . . . with Deuteronomy dictated in the Castle AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:26 am

He is the Paraclete Of Keborka!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 am

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:46 am

Yea!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 am

A highly underrated film.

I can remember Me Dad mentioning I had to see it as a Wee Spud because of "The Paraclete of Kaborka!"

"The what?"

One of the first really good satires I had seen. One that critically examined something.

--J.D.

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:04 pm

A satire I don't know about? Hmm. The Paraclete of Kaborka, that's the title?
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 pm

OK, so I look him up in Wikipedia (what with never having heard of him).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravi_Zacharias
... Zacharias states that a coherent worldview must be able to satisfactorily answer four questions: that of origin, meaning of life, morality and destiny. He says that while every major religion makes exclusive claims about truth, the Christian faith is unique in its ability to answer all four of these questions. ...
More of that "pre-sup" shit then?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:37 pm

izittrue wrote:A satire I don't know about? Hmm. The Paraclete of Kaborka, that's the title?
The Hospital.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:52 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:OK, so I look him up in Wikipedia (what with never having heard of him).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravi_Zacharias
... Zacharias states that a coherent worldview must be able to satisfactorily answer four questions: that of origin, meaning of life, morality and destiny. He says that while every major religion makes exclusive claims about truth, the Christian faith is unique in its ability to answer all four of these questions. ...
More of that "pre-sup" shit then?
"the Christian faith is unique in its ability to answer all four of these questions"

But are the answers correct? Can Christians even agree among themselves what the correct answers are?

In Math class you have to "show your work" to get credit for solving a problem. An unverifiable (unfalsifiable) answer is really no answer at all. It's what they call "not even wrong".

Science does give a pretty good answer for question of origin, although I confess that even though I've read books about the Big Bang, I don't fully understand it. I'm pretty sure that even scientists still have remaining questions about the Big Bang and it's not totally 100% nailed down yet. And questions like "what was there before the Big Bang" may simply be unknowable. Likewise, with Evolution, it provides a great, testable answer about the origin of species, and where we humans came from, but it doesn't quite go back to the very beginning: what was the very first life-form, from which everything from people to algae to fungi to viruses is descended? That one is probably more knowable than the Big Bang, but we haven't quite got there yet.

Science also has a good answer for "destiny" but for the universe, not for the "destiny" of humankind. Eventually the sun will run out of hydrogen for fusion and will become a red giant, which will consume the Earth. Eventually all stars will run out and there will be no more fuel to light up the universe. It will be maximum entropy and heat death.

For the other two questions, you need something other than science: philosophy. But there's no reason that a "worldview" can't incorporate both science and philosophy. So there is in fact a rational "worldview" that gives better answers to all of those questions than Christianity can. Christianity demands you simply accept its answers "on faith". Faith itself (belief without evidence) is seen as a virtue for Christians. Why?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare