Inside the secretive New York church where a boy accused of witchcraft was whipped to death

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Inside the secretive New York church where a boy accused of witchcraft was whipped to death

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 am

National Post

A week ago last Sunday, Irwin, 29, now the pastor, stood before part of her congregation in New Hartford, New York, and accused someone among them of practicing witchcraft, a witness told the police. Lucas Leonard, 19, said he was the one. The secretive group had dwindled in numbers since. Irwin took over after her father’s death in 2012, and the authorities said she feared that Leonard would be the latest to defect.

Irwin summoned him into a counseling session, where the authorities said he was punched, kicked and whipped with an electrical cord for more than 12 hours until he died. His parents have been charged with manslaughter in the attack, which also left his brother Christopher Leonard, 17, seriously injured.

Irwin’s brother, Joseph Irwin, a deacon in the church, is among four other members charged with assault.

Tiffanie Irwin has not been charged, but a prosecutor said the investigation into her role was continuing. The police and prosecutors have dismissed the suggestions of witchcraft as a rumor “instigated by a member or members” of the church.

Leonard’s death has pulled a veil from a church that for two decades has hidden what former members describe as a culture of shame, abuse and paranoia, spread by leaders who exposed congregants’ supposed dalliances, split their families and coaxed them into long hours of physical labor.

Some pics at link as well as the story. This is not some cheap storefront or backwoods shack sort of church. There is money there.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Re: Inside the secretive New York church where a boy accused of witchcraft was whipped to death

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 am

Didn't expect the church to look like that.

I did start a thread on this one about a week ago. Seriously fucked up.

This is a classic example of where "religion gets a pass". By which I mean, the pastor has not been arrested as a co-conspirator, and the people who killed him have only been charged with manslaughter, not murder. If it was a street gang who killed an initiate in a hazing ceremony, would they be so lenient and understanding? Would they get so much benefit of the doubt? I think not. They punched, kicked and whipped him for more than 12 hours until he died. What else can you expect would happen to a person if you do that?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Re: Inside the secretive New York church where a boy accused of witchcraft was whipped to death

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:00 am

Actually that church is a former schoolhouse.

I was thinking it looks more like a school than a church. I grew up in upstate NY and there's a lot of former schools like that, which are no longer used as schools. The buildings get rented out or sold to other people, sometimes private schools, but a church in this case.

They got built after World War 2 to educate the baby-boomers, but there just aren't so many kids anymore, so districts end up shutting down some of the schools and concentrating the students in the remaining ones.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:38 am

But . . . but . . . Freedom of Religion and the War Against Christianity!111!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:54 am

Doctor X wrote:But . . . but . . . the War Against Christianity!111!

--J.D.
they attacked first :x :x
- new minimalist ethos -

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:41 pm

"Freedom of Religion" is an oxymoron and 'Christianity' should not be tolerated. The same can be said of all the worlds faith based religions bullshit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Well, perhaps, but then we would have to arrest Cubs fans.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:26 pm

BWAHAHAHA...

With the Cubs, there is always a non-zero chance at least! Sky Daddy, on the other hand, is still batting zero after 13.5 billion years. :)

(Of course, that's because that's what He wants us to think...) :wink:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.