Heresy/apostacy

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Anaxagoras

Heresy/apostacy

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 am

What happens when a well-known evangelist converts to a different sect of Christianity:

Christians Are Jumping to 'Shameful Conclusions' About Bible Answer Man's Conversion to Orthodoxy, Says Daughter of CRI Founder

He called himself the "Bible Answer Man" but apparently he must have some new, slightly different answers or something:
The daughter of the Christian Research Institute's founder considers its president, "Bible Answer Man" Hank Hanegraaff, a brother in Christ despite theological objections from fellow Christians following his conversion to Eastern Orthodoxy.
Hanegraaff, who has been leading CRI for more than 25 years and helped spread its reach to millions, was chrismated on Palm Sunday at Saint Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church in Charlotte, North Carolina. He continues to face opposition from those who think he has left the Christian faith.

As CP reported last month, the apologist's syndicated radio broadcast "The Bible Answer Man" was removed from the Bott Radio Network amid questions over biblical accuracy.

Others, such as D. Trent Hyatt of Answers in Genesis, have responded with similar concerns. Following the news of Hanegraaf's conversion, Hyatt posted on the AiG website a portion of AiG's World Religions and Cults book about Orthodoxy.

While acknowledging that it was possible for a practicing member of an Eastern Orthodox Church to be a born-again believer "provided that they repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and Resurrection," Hyatt wrote that "many years of missionary work in Eastern Europe and Russia have led me to conclude that the gospel is not often proclaimed in the Orthodox Church."

Orthodox worship services "are ritualistic exercises that focus on the icons and the sacraments," he wrote, arguing that Eastern Orthodoxy places trust in sacraments for salvation and icons to sanctify them "rather than in the finished work of Christ on the Cross in our behalf."
Hanegraaff, who revealed on May 5 that he has a rare form of cancer called mantle cell lymphoma, has emphasized that "nothing has changed in my faith."

"People are posting this notion that somehow or other I've walked away from the faith and am no longer a Christian," he said on his radio show. "Look, my views have been codified in 20 books, and my views have not changed."
My brother who works for Google is also a convert to Greek Orthodoxy. The church my parents attended, when they attended at all, was Episcopal. My brother attended that church much more than I did as a kid. I think my mom went to church more often than she otherwise would have because he really wanted to go, whereas me and my other brother basically had very little interest in it. Sometimes we teased him about it, which I feel bad about now. He converted when he married a Greek-American woman, but he seems to be very much an enthusiastic convert. He is even a deacon in his church I think, although we don't talk much about it. It is a bit of a mystery to me why some people are so attracted to organized religion whereas I myself see the belief system at least as nonsense although I can at least in the abstract see the attractiveness of it as something for a community to organize around. And churches/temples and religious art and music can also be nice even if the underlying belief system is silly.

I guess this apostasy thing is like if a Red Sox fan decided to become a Yankees fan. :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Heresy/apostacy

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 23, 2017 6:38 am

Follow a team that cannot even win a championship this decade?

--J.D.
Hence why I liken it all to Sports Fandom. The Orthodox and Catholic churches would make the same charge to the upstart evangelicals, but then recall they have more important things to deal with. Your brother's conversion reminds me of an OLD Jewish joke where a father for years goes fishing with his son every Saturday. One day, the son announces he is engaged. Her name?

"Margret O'Malley."

"YOU CAN'T MARRY A Shiksa!" the father screams. Your His Mom scolds her husband. His son tell him she plans to convert to Judaism, but the father cannot be consoled.

He shows up to the wedding with a black arm band.

A few months later, the father softens. So he calls his son to apologize. "Why don't we talk about it Saturday fishing. We haven't done that in a long time."

"I can't, dad, Mariam won't let me because it's Sabbath."

"I TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T MARRY A SHIKSA!"

Try the veal.

But, yeah, to convert requires acceptance. Frankly the differences between the various Christian sects remain about as sensible as an argument between a Bears and Packers fan about which team plays "Real Football!" The Pats fan, of course, reminds them that they both suck.

Where was I?

Oh, yeah, there is a long history of Stupid driven by the need to be better/richer than someone else. That being written I know of a "Bible College" which fired a professor because he married a Catholic and--Heavens to Betsy--converted to Catholicism. Before anyone starts screaming, it is a private institution and religious intolerance is protected strangely enough.

I love to remind all of them who fight such points that the Patriots have the greatest sustained erection . . . er . . . dynasty, Jeter used steroids, and no one, no one, knows what the Historical Junior actually said, if anything.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 am

That's a good joke, and it rings true. The convert is often more zealous than someone who grew up in the faith.

I did finally get around to watching The Big Lebowski, and there's the whole thing with Walter who converted to Judaism for his ex-wife and is now an extremist about keeping the Shabbat even though they are no longer married.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 am

Yeah, that scene reminded me of the joke:

[youtube][/youtube]

Funny thing is when I first saw The Big Lebowski I did not "get it."

[youtube][/youtube]

Yeah . . . okay . . . and a friend declared me "Dickless!" and demanded I watch it again. I "got it" the second time.

Dragging this back to the point, the silliness of religious groups and adherents is seen with the "Nihilists"--"We believe in NOTHING, Lebowsky!" to "It's not FAIR!"--as all a great act. You play a role and it brings comfort.

I feel a long discourse on comparative religions coming, so I will stop. I will say I had a lot of fun visiting a Buddhist service in a temple once.

Not as much as at that temple to Inanna, but, hey, Temple Prostitutes.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!