I missed the Joel Osteen Hate Fest

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

I missed the Joel Osteen Hate Fest

Postby corplinx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 pm

This guy got thumped and used as a whipping boy after the hurricane since you can't meme a hurricane out of a job.

I've seen people criticize as critics as being overly harsh or unfair to him. So let me just say this.

Unfair criticism is unfair and in general I do not support smears against even deplorable people.

Joel Osteen is a fraud and mountebank.

He is a part of a movement of cons within evangelical circles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

Not surprisingly, these people wind up on TV often.

Here's how the scam works.
a. Setup a church in a reasonably wealthy area where your flock will gladly hear that their success is due to their faith. "Hey, my new Lexus is a sign I'm blessed"
b. When poors come in, they see everyone in their better cars and homes and think they just need to tithe more to "get theirs".

There is a narrative that this pastor is being unfairly attacked by secular humanists. Oh noes! Next they will want to ban Jesus!

Some of those awful secular humanists are probably your internet atheist plus anti-religious types who like to take the piss out of preachers anytime they can.

However, Joel Osteen is in a class of charlatan's that exploits the desperate hopes of the poor. He is one turd higher on the shitheap than the predators who exploit the desperation of the sick and disabled.

That's who Osteen is.

Witness

Re: I missed the Joel Osteen Hate Fest

Postby Witness » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Does that mean your offering has been scorned? :shock:

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:51 pm

corplinx wrote:There is a narrative that this pastor is being unfairly attacked by secular humanists. Oh noes! Next they will want to ban Jesus!

The video that got the hate-train rolling was from a guy who is a believer and supports Joel Osteen. But he was upset that the property was locked rather than open for those in need. I think there's en element of "piling on" but the accusations have been fairly on point and Joel Osteen is a cunt.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Not enough bad things can happen to him.

The "Prosperity Theory" is very old. Randi writes about it in The Faith Healers. A common canned response to his inquiries involved the story of the seed of faith . . . are you willing to plant that seed?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm

corplinx wrote:
However, Joel Osteen is in a class of charlatan's that exploits the desperate hopes of the poor. He is one turd higher on the shitheap than the predators who exploit the desperation of the sick and disabled.

I think referring to him as being one whole turd higher on the shitheap is giving him far too much credit.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Doctor X wrote:Not enough bad things can happen to him.

The "Prosperity Theory" is very old. Randi writes about it in The Faith Healers. A common canned response to his inquiries involved the story of the seed of faith . . . are you willing to plant that seed?

--J.D.

I think that faith healing steals the outrage somewhat. Taking advantage of sick/dying people is so abhorrent.

What they did getting on the mailing lists of the faith healers was great work.

Makes you wonder what the Prosperity "Gospel" flim flam men have on their private lists.

I'm sure there are many wonderful stories about people needing money to make their cay payment but giving their last 10 bucks to Christ anyway... but lo and behold... unexpected fortune!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm

I never heard of him before this, and now I keep forgetting who he is. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I never heard of him before this, and now I keep forgetting who he is. :)

He's a smarmy piece of shit who steals from the poor and gives to himself.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 am

shemp wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:I never heard of him before this, and now I keep forgetting who he is. :)

He's a smarmy piece of shit who steals from the poor and gives to himself.

Indeed. But a very run of the mill one.

This publicity will help his career in the long run. People will remember hearing his name but not the specifics,
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”