A very bright idea

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
9happy

A very bright idea

Post by 9happy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Ohh, here I go again, fantasizing that education isn't meant to dumb people down again...

Anywhoo, here's the idea.

The critical thinking exercise starts as early as middle school, and should be mastered before high school. At first, students are given one correct article covering a new and unknown subject to them (working medicine, definite history, science, etc.) They are also given two modified versions of the same artice that contain misinformation and logical fallacities. The student must pick the correct article and write a short explaination of why he or she chose that article. The correct article will be revealed by the teacher and time will be given to discuss the exercise with the teacher.

Later on, the student will be given 1-5 genuine or slightly modified articles pertaining to debatable subjects (ex. alternate & conventional medicine, ToE's, political ads, staying mildy controversial) and will enjoy carefully scanning each article for logical fallacities, uncited or questionable sources, and applying common sense or what he or she already knows about the subject. It is important for the student to be able to apply this method of reading on both a singular article detailing the latest research and multiple articles taking diffent viewpoints. The student will write a short open response describing what can certainly be concluded from the articles to be accurate or inaccurate, what more information may be required for, any obscurities, and any logical fallacities found within the articles. The students will be given time to discuss and debate their conclusions with their peers and teachers alike.

It is my personal belief that this plan, if properly implemented, would transform our people into a population of intellectual powerhouses and geniuses.

And in addition to learning crazy critical thinknig skills, think of all the information from the articles and proper debating skills they would absorb :D

I don't think something like this will ever be implemented into our school systems, because it would make people too darn smart. Noone knows what would happen if the population suddenly became smarter, I think crime would skyrocket and industry requiring manual labor would suffer, but things would soon balance out.
Without blob, spontaneous banana becomes compulsive car tire Hebrew. Despite fledging hobgoblin, parallel Shakespeares are not permitted to traverse controversial enamel in the rain.

Post by 196 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:51 am

I'm surprised that in almost a year no one has commented on your great idea.

I'm a high school teacher, and I think this exercise can be used in a variety of situations, including math and science. There is the opportunity for a nice mix of literacy, critical thinking, and subject content. I already do some lessons on misleading graphs and statistics for one of my basic math classes. Your idea has opened a few new doors for me.
It is my personal belief that this plan, if properly implemented, would transform our people into a population of intellectual powerhouses and geniuses.
:D

ck

Post by ck » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:55 am

Teh d34dly thr34d necrom4ncy!!!111

And actually, I have not seen 9happy here in a long time.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:57 am

ck wrote:ImageTeh d34dly thr34d necrom4ncy!!!111Image
Fixed it for you.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!