Pirates not welcome in Weaverville, NC

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Kristopher

Pirates not welcome in Weaverville, NC

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Citizen-Times.com
Weaverville – When you’re a pirate, some dangers just come with the territory: scurvy, grog hangovers, a walk down the plank at sword point.

But being kicked out of school for a day?

Bryan Killian doesn’t think that’s a fair reaction to his decision to come to North Buncombe High School wearing an eye patch and an inflatable cutlass.

The sophomore spent Wednesday at home after an administrator took issue with his accessories.

Buncombe County Schools says the eye patch was disruptive to classroom instruction. The student’s refusal to take it off after four warnings led to discipline, the district said.

“I feel like my First Amendment was violated,” Killian, 16, said. “Freedom of religion and freedom of expression. That’s what I tried to do, and I got shot down.”

Freedom of religion?

Yes, Killian says, his “pirate regalia” is part of his faith — the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The parody religion, whose “Pastafarian” members worship a sentient, airborne clump of noodles and meatballs, originated in a letter to the Kansas school board urging it to add the religion to its plans to teach evolution and intelligent design side by side.

It became an Internet phenomenon, spawning a belief system that holds pirates to be divine beings and blames global warming on the disappearance of the buccaneers.

Satirical though it may be, Killian isn’t laughing.

“If this is what I believe in, no matter how stupid it might sound, I should be able to express myself however I want to,” he said.

An eye patch is no more disruptive than a Christian cross around one’s neck, he said.

His teachers saw it the same way, he said, but Assistant Principal Sarah Cooley didn’t. She assigned him two days of in-school suspension before calling his home to add out-of-school suspension.

“It has nothing to do with religious beliefs,” school district spokesman Stan Alleyne rushed to say when asked about the suspension. “We respect students’ religious beliefs.”

Killian’s mother, Vanessa, agreed with the school’s decision despite sympathizing with her son.

“I think Bryan should be able to voice his opinion,” she said, “but he kind of got carried away.”

Killian planned to go back to school today. He doesn’t think he’ll wear an eye patch.
Emphasis added was mine.

The comments section is pretty interesting, as well.

I'm also tired of hearing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
When one considers that our planet is doomed, at least as far as life is concerned, it is impossible to put meaningful value on the titanic forward struggle of life on Earth through billions of years. This struggle, whether conscious or not, appears agonizingly futile if the gigantic mass contribution can not be perpetuated.
- Philip N. Shockey, "Space Journal", March-May, 1959

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm not... it's an excellent silly example. Leaves them having to explain why they're teaching Christian beliefs but not those of any other "religion"... yeah it's new and made up, but how to distinguish?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rosencrantz

Post by Rosencrantz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:28 pm

A Killian in NC. I wonder if he's related to shanek?

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:31 pm

So, for this eyepatch, this kid is going to get rejected by colleges, get bad grades, and probably have trouble getting a job.

What a stupid, stupid assistant principal. Must have been related to some of the people who ran the schools I went to.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:43 pm

Would you rather hear about the IPU(PBUHHH)? I personally perfer her to any other fictious gods, okay, well except for Fantome, but the Fantome Scientists has been long gone. <sigh>
Chani

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Okay, I read some comments and this one popped out at me as satire at its finest!
Jesus Freak wrote:You know this is probably the dumbest thing i've heard. Hey but its okay i used to wear eye patches too. When i was 4 i used to pretend i was on an pirate ship fighting an octupus. No offense but the flying spaghetti monster is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of. If you actually believe in a flying spaghetti noodle then something is seriously wrong. But im not going to condemn you instead i want to invite you to come to the North buncombe Revolution tonight Thursday at 6:30 to hear a hard rock band called disciple
hehehehe
Chani

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 pm

gnome wrote:I'm not... it's an excellent silly example. Leaves them having to explain why they're teaching Christian beliefs but not those of any other "religion"... yeah it's new and made up, but how to distinguish?
I should rephrase. I'm tired of hearing about the Flying Spaghetti Monster because it's just an old Internet meme to me. It was a great idea when it first came out. But now it's just seems like something people throw back and forth and giggle.

Of course, I'm also just as sick of Christians talking like that, because Christianity is an old not-Internet meme.

It is an excellent example, though, of exactly what you said.
When one considers that our planet is doomed, at least as far as life is concerned, it is impossible to put meaningful value on the titanic forward struggle of life on Earth through billions of years. This struggle, whether conscious or not, appears agonizingly futile if the gigantic mass contribution can not be perpetuated.

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Chanileslie wrote:Would you rather hear about the IPU(PBUHHH)? I personally perfer her to any other fictious gods, okay, well except for Fantome, but the Fantome Scientists has been long gone. <sigh>
I'm starting my own religion.

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Chanileslie wrote:Okay, I read some comments and this one popped out at me as satire at its finest!
The comments were the best part, especially the only Christian fellow who demanded that the boy have his ass whipped, and that schools bring back prayer.

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:25 pm

I remember having to do a spoken essay in school for my English class.

Since it could be on almost any topic, I managed to do it about witchcraft. Basically, I did it so I could "cast" a "spell" in the middle of class. Yes, I was just like this kid when I was a teen.
ta-
DAVE!!!

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Wooldridge wrote:
Chanileslie wrote:Would you rather hear about the IPU(PBUHHH)? I personally perfer her to any other fictious gods, okay, well except for Fantome, but the Fantome Scientists has been long gone. <sigh>
You sure you don't want to be a Fantome Scientist? It is really cool. Fantome was sacrificed on a plus sign so you didn't have to be. And only atheists are allowed to be church officers as that sacrifice saves space in heaven for true believers, but as a church officer (I am the Pope), you get some really nice real estate right next to the Lake of Fire. Of course, our god disappeared a few years back, and he was a pretty darned funny god.

Of course the IPU (PBUHHH) is always a winner. Although some sacriledges types insist that the Holy food of the IPU is ham and pineapple pizza, but those people are splitters! When you die, you go to the great pastures, were everyone gets to ride a unicorn. You need to read the Big Pink Book though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chani

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Wooldridge wrote:
Chanileslie wrote:Okay, I read some comments and this one popped out at me as satire at its finest!
The comments were the best part, especially the only Christian fellow who demanded that the boy have his ass whipped, and that schools bring back prayer.
Actually, the more I learn about this case, the less I think the kid just needs to grow up. It seems that there is some sort of religious revival going on at the school after hours, but during school hours the christian kids are hyping like mad this revival and they wear shirts and hang posters, so I see this more as the kids' protest.

Let the FSM in, joke or no joke.
Chani

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Chanileslie wrote:
Wooldridge wrote:
You sure you don't want to be a Fantome Scientist? It is really coold. Fantome was sacrificed on a plus sign so you didn't have to be. And only atheists are allowed to be church officers as that sacrifice saves space in heaven for true believers, but as a church officer (I am the Pope), you get some really nice real estate right next to the Lake of Fire. Of course, our god disappeared a few years back, and he was a pretty darned funny god.

Of course the IPU (PBUHHH) is always a winner. Although some sacriledges types insist that the Holy food of the IPU is ham and pineapple pizza, but those people are splitters! When you die, you go to the great pastures, were everyone gets to ride a unicorn. You need to read the Big Pink Book though.
I prefer my Church of the Supernal MegaJesus. I mean, he's a robot. You can't beat that.

We firmly believe that Al Gore used his awesome powers to create the Internet, and then created The Supernal MegaJesus was created to bring order back to the Internet.

Kristopher

Post by Kristopher » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Chanileslie wrote:
Wooldridge wrote:
Actually, the more I learn about this case, the less I think the kid just needs to grow up. It seems that there is some sort of religious revival going on at the school after hours, but during school hours the christian kids are hyping like mad this revival and they wear shirts and hang posters, so I see this more as the kids' protest.

Let the FSM in, joke or no joke.
Yeah, but if they do that, they'll have to respect the Jews and Muslims, too. Then the next thing you know, gays will be having orgies in the cafeteria.

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:37 pm

The eyepatch I would agree is no more or less 'disruptive' than other symbols of religious faith which are allowed in a classroom. Students are not allowed to wear hats (in most schools), yet there are religious hats which are allowed despite such rules.

The blow up sword though, that's a bit much. I'd say the same for a blow up cross too.

Here's the real point though...what articles are students at his school allowed to wear because of religion that other students are denied?

*crickets*

Religious hats are small and unobtrustive. If he had one which was similar (say...a pirate bandana), I'm gonna bet that would be allowable. But really the hat thing is the only thing I'm coming up with where "religion" trumps the rules of a school.

The only other objects of religion people are using are things which are allowed by the rules of the school anyway.
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 am

Marian wrote:The eyepatch I would agree is no more or less 'disruptive' than other symbols of religious faith which are allowed in a classroom. Students are not allowed to wear hats (in most schools), yet there are religious hats which are allowed despite such rules.

The blow up sword though, that's a bit much. I'd say the same for a blow up cross too.

Here's the real point though...what articles are students at his school allowed to wear because of religion that other students are denied?

*crickets*

Religious hats are small and unobtrustive. If he had one which was similar (say...a pirate bandana), I'm gonna bet that would be allowable. But really the hat thing is the only thing I'm coming up with where "religion" trumps the rules of a school.

The only other objects of religion people are using are things which are allowed by the rules of the school anyway.
I'm curious on where this school district stands on the swords carried by sikhs. Usually these things come into conflict with a "no weapons at school" rule.

"Disruptive" and hijab make interesting cases, too.

One of my undergraduate professors sometimes wore a lapel button from his fraternity, the Knights of Lambda, mainly as an advertisement for Alonzo Church's Lambda Calculus and speculative relationships between linguistics, computation theory, and meta-mathematics. Since nobody really cared in college if people showed up in costume (or out of costume), the only interesting part of this story was his interaction with certain leaders of the gay community. That turned out okay after a few comical misunderstandings.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:54 am

I am just sick and tired of the pretentious buzzword "meme."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:39 pm

I prefer my Church of the Supernal MegaJesus. I mean, he's a robot. You can't beat that.
but wait..
there is a new war on xtianity...
the chocolate jesus
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Doctor X wrote:I am just sick and tired of the pretentious buzzword "meme."

--J.D.
So the 'meme' meme gets on your nerves, eh?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
So the 'meme' meme gets on your nerves, eh?