Pirates not welcome in Weaverville, NC

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Stimpson J. Cat

Post by Stimpson J. Cat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 pm

I think that this sort of demonstration is very important, because it points out the idiocy behind special exemptions for religious groups.

If the school has a set of rules forbidding disruptive attire, then they should be enforced, period. No exemptions for religions can be allowed without either violating the 1st Amendment, or rendering the original rules unenforcable.

What has happened here is that the assistant principle of the school has made an official ruling that while Christianity (and presumably several other religions) are "officially recognized religions", Pastafarianism is not. That is the establishment of religion. The 1st Amendment forbids Congress from making any law respecting the establishment of religion, including any laws which would grant such powers to government agencies. Therefore the assistant principle has done something which not only exceeds her powers, but which violates the US Constitution.

There is no way around this. Either somebody has to have the power to decide what is, and is not, an officially recognized religion, which would violate the 1st Amendment, or any claim of religious exemption must be accepted as valid, in which case the rules are unenforcable.

The same problem currently exists with taxes. It is not possible to grant special tax exemption to religious organizations without either making it somebody's job to decide who does or does not qualify (which is unconstitutional), or having anybody who asks for it qualify automatically (which would render taxation impossible).

Good luck ever getting the Supreme Court to even hear such a case, though. No judge would rule against religious tax exemption, because they know it would be political suicide. So instead we end up with the current situation, where a Jew's tax dollars are being used to subsidize the taxes not being paid by anti-semetic churches, and so on...

Dr. Stupid
A poke in the eye makes Baby Jesus cry.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Chanileslie wrote:
Wooldridge wrote:
Chanileslie wrote:Would you rather hear about the IPU(PBUHHH)? I personally perfer her to any other fictious gods, okay, well except for Fantome, but the Fantome Scientists has been long gone. <sigh>
I'm starting my own religion.
You sure you don't want to be a Fantome Scientist? It is really cool. Fantome was sacrificed on a plus sign so you didn't have to be. And only atheists are allowed to be church officers as that sacrifice saves space in heaven for true believers, but as a church officer (I am the Pope), you get some really nice real estate right next to the Lake of Fire. Of course, our god disappeared a few years back, and he was a pretty darned funny god.

Of course the IPU (PBUHHH) is always a winner. Although some sacriledges types insist that the Holy food of the IPU is ham and pineapple pizza, but those people are splitters! When you die, you go to the great pastures, were everyone gets to ride a unicorn. You need to read the Big Pink Book though.
A one-horned pony.

For Abdul.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:52 pm

gnome wrote:As far as made up religions go, I've always been partial to bokononism.
The mingling of soles seems like a good excuse for playing footsie.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.